Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2010, 12:48 AM

Default The best pre-built PC for PTHD PCIx users

Hi guys,

I am looking for switching my PPC mac to a way more powerful PC for a PT HD2 PCIx system.

I would prefer to get a pre-built, digi approved PC.

I checked this page :
http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...gid=1&eid=7926

The Dell Precision Workstation 690 looks good but the Quad-Core Intel processors have not been tested by Digidesign on the Dell Precision 690.
Any experience from users ?

Pro Tools|HD and Pro Tools|HD Accel PCI systems are not supported for internal installation on the HP Z800.
Same thing for the HP xw8600.

For the HP xw8400, there is no mention that it has been tested with PT HD 8.0 and once again the Quad-Core Intel processors have not been tested by Digidesign.

Any advice from users on the most powerful and reliable pre-built "digi approved" PC ?

Thanks.
Old 02-27-2010, 06:39 AM

Default Re: The best pre-built PC for PTHD PCIx users

I've been using the HP xw8400 with HD2 PCI-X for some time now, with dual Xeon QC processors. It runs solid. Avid video engine with a Mojo as well. Just make sure to upgrade to the latest BIOS. The OS is XP Pro 32 bit.

Digital Media Engineer
Discovery Communications
http://corporate.discovery.com/
Old 02-27-2010, 01:30 PM

Check out the Dell T7400 as well
Old 02-27-2010, 02:46 PM

Hey. I've been running an HD2 pcix using the Asus P7P55D LE with no issues at all. (other people on here have run hd3 and it works fine too)

http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=e7Zic83PvQSr80Lm A lot of people have been having succes with HD on these boards. They have the small pci slots, but the cards work just fine. Anything from this series should work fine.

Using an Intel i5 processor (but you can get i7 chips that will fit these boards and that will work fine as well), 8 gigs of kingston DDR3 ram. Windows 7 64bit.

2 SATA hard drives 7200. I think they're seagates. One for my OS, one for my PT stuff.

Thermaltake 750watt (i think) power supply
Thermaltake m9 case (it fits fine in this case, however I don't recommend this case at all. I think it's poorly designed and feels very cheaply made. However, the cards fit fine and I'm sure that is most peoples main concern.

None of which is Digi approved but oh well. I'd rather take a chance and have killer system for way less money.

Good luck!
Old 04-01-2010, 01:02 PM

I just bought the P7P55D not the LE version and the PCI cards won't fit. As we all know the PCI cards are actually PCI-X cards and the tail end of the connectors stick out about an inch past the PCI slot. This portion of the card is hitting the huge starshaped heatsink. So basically, it won't sink into the socket. Below is a link to the board I bought. Looks like a different heatsink than the one on the LE version. Before I swap it out I was wondering which exact model you have so I don't get the wrong thing twice.

http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_I...RFZ&templete=2
Old 04-20-2010, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachnuts View Post
I just bought the P7P55D not the LE version and the PCI cards won't fit. As we all know the PCI cards are actually PCI-X cards and the tail end of the connectors stick out about an inch past the PCI slot. This portion of the card is hitting the huge starshaped heatsink. So basically, it won't sink into the socket. Below is a link to the board I bought. Looks like a different heatsink than the one on the LE version. Before I swap it out I was wondering which exact model you have so I don't get the wrong thing twice.

http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_I...RFZ&templete=2

Mine is the LE, the heatsink is shorter.... it just clears it... good luck man!
Old 04-20-2010, 08:44 AM

I just built a

Gigabyte P55 board
i7 860
4 gigs of ddr3 2200

and slapped 2.5 terrabytes of drives on it for a HD rig. Had to pop off a heat sink, dremel 2 grooves (5 minutes) and was good to go. Amazingly fast system, shows 8 processors for RTAS engine and boots super fast.

So far it is pretty remarkable how good and quiet it is.

Doc

MONUMENT SOUND ON YOUTUBE

Monument Sound Facebook

"Changing how people hear music one track at a time"
Old 04-26-2010, 09:39 AM

i have a Dell Precision T5400. You have to bend a piece of metal and cut a small piece of plastic to use it with a 2nd HD card but other than that it was plug and play. It's silent, has dual quad core Xeons and is extremely well built.

The T7400 has more room but takes up more space if that's a concern.
HDX, Mac Studio, Rupert Neve 511 x 9, Rupert Neve 551 x 8, Manley Variable Mu, Massive Passive, Stereo Pultec, ELOP, VoxBox, and DVC, DBX 160s, Daking Fet III, Distressors, M905 Monitor Controller and other cool stuff.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:53 AM

I'm very happy with my HP Z800 on HD2.
Very well built computers and absolutely no issues.
Runs all day and all night.
I usually reboot it once a week and that's about it.
Win7 64bit.

GD
Old 04-26-2010, 02:46 PM

anyone tried the new HP pavillion elite 180t. (or 190)

i7 quad with a lot of ram for a good price. just wondering hows for audio and just plain feedback.