Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 06-22-2009, 04:11 PM

Default Re: Live Tracking... Whats your Opinion

Yeah i already knew that i won't put any plugins on for Live tracking... just use my input levels to make sure it doesn't peak...

I guess I'm just going to have to do some testing again...

And I guess the rule of thumb is to have the highest buffer size and little to no plugins..

Also

I second the recommendation for the ADA8000.. set up in like 5 minutes... very clean inputs and phantom power ready to use. I recorded my friend doing some Acoustic guitar and it came out very clean and very crisp.

Thanks guys, I'll let you know how it goes
Old 06-23-2009, 06:48 AM

I did some testing and tuning last night...

before doing any tuning i was getting HW errors telling me to lower my buffer down from 1024. I did some Tuning and it seemed to stop. The error was one saying that the CPU was conflicting with other tasks/usage; although the CPU usage meter was only at like 20% in only a 14 track session.

Aside from that...

I created a new session setup to record on all 16 different inputs and even had 5 AUX sends for verbs and D Delays.. Tried it at 1024 and it gave the same error as before (reduce buffer). SO i lowered the buffer to 256 and i let it run.... and run... and run... for 95 minutes with no errors.. then I stopped it because i was going to bed. I'll give it another shot and see what happens again at 256.. I'll try for 3 hours this next time.

Any suggestions on why 1024 won't work but 256 does? And i already had my page file set to 2x my ram size... 1gb ram and 2gb page file... which was suggested.

I'll try to get the actual code tonight and post it it happens again.

Jon
Old 06-23-2009, 08:45 AM

Quote:
And i already had my page file set to 2x my ram size... 1gb ram and 2gb page file... which was suggested.
Can you elaborate on this? I saw the post earlier about it but have never heard of it. So how do you do it, and what is the benefit/drawback?
Old 06-23-2009, 09:07 AM

Another poster mentioned that increasing the Pagefile might help the buffer issue...

Heres how you do it:

Right click My Computer > Properties > Advanced > Performance 'settings' > Advanced 'tab' > Virtual Memory 'Change' > Custom Size 'set initial and max to the same value (2x your memory size)' > Click 'Set' > Restart PC

I'm not sure why it would help the buffer issue... because it didn't help me.

A Question i have is... under performance 'Advanced tab' i have Processor Scheduling set to 'Background Services' because thats what Musicxp.net said to do. But i don't remember where memory usage was supposed to be. Last ngiht in my 95 minute 16 track recording session @ 256 buff and 48/24 the memory usage setting was at 'System cache' ... does it matter? and what is the better setting and why (if anyone knows).

Jon