Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 10-04-2013, 01:21 PM

Default OS X Mavericks

So Apple released the Gold Master for OS X 10.9 Mavericks last night/this morning to developers, so I'm anticipating getting it from the Mac App Store at the end of the month and then finally installing it, I dunno, in February or so. But here's the question: since PT11 is all new, what are the chances that it won't be such a chore to get PT certified on the newest version of the OS? Or does this really not change anything?

Also I have to assume OS X Mountain Lion will be end of the line for Pro Tools 10.3, no? Not that I use PT10 that much any more, since plugins are starting to get rolling in 11 and I can use REAPER for the rest in ReWire, but I just thought I'd check.
Old 10-04-2013, 01:40 PM

Default OS X Mavericks

Avid was pretty quick to support osx 10.8, but I think it took a .x update to fix it. So I'm betting we'll have to wait on pro tools 10.4 and 11.1 to support it. But I would expect them to release a pt10 update for it. There are lots of people, me included, that haven't moved on to 11. And a lot of people that have 11 are going back to 10 for some things that 11 can't do. So if osx 10.9 comes out at the end of the month, I'd say pro tools will work with it around the end of November to the beginning of December. But totally a guess.
Old 10-04-2013, 01:44 PM

Default Re: OS X Mavericks

Also I would wait for 10.9.1
But only time will tell

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 10-04-2013, 02:27 PM

I think it will happen fairly quickly.

10 and 11 both already work on 10.9 so it's not as if there's a major architecture hurdle to overcome.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 10-05-2013, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CME View Post
And a lot of people that have 11 are going back to 10 for some things that 11 can't do.
I am typically an early adopter, but in this case it doesn't make much sense to have to run 2 versions and bounce back and forth just to have the functionality I need. So as much as I want to go out and buy 11 right now, until I can run it and get by without 10 I wont jump. Primarily, the lack of AAX support in plugins is killing it. Avid needs to come up with some incentives for developers, as some are not planning AAX upgrades in any near future.

I have set aside for a new mac pro - the design is going to make it easy to build a case that cools and quiets in a way you cant do with a legacy tower - so Mavericks will be important for 10 for me.
Old 10-05-2013, 12:35 PM

I agree. I'm still on 10. And not sure when I'll move up to 11. I have the CPTK and demoed both HD11 and "vanilla" 11. I missed some of the HD features. Enough that if I do upgrade I guess I'll be going the CPTK to HD route. But right now l, and maybe never, I can't justify the price. So I will probably be on pt10 and whatever OSX supports it for a long time.
Old 10-05-2013, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by derFunkenstein View Post
So Apple released the Gold Master for OS X 10.9 Mavericks last night/this morning to developers, so I'm anticipating getting it from the Mac App Store at the end of the month and then finally installing it, I dunno, in February or so. But here's the question: since PT11 is all new, what are the chances that it won't be such a chore to get PT certified on the newest version of the OS? Or does this really not change anything?

Also I have to assume OS X Mountain Lion will be end of the line for Pro Tools 10.3, no? Not that I use PT10 that much any more, since plugins are starting to get rolling in 11 and I can use REAPER for the rest in ReWire, but I just thought I'd check.

I am sure we will find out more very soon. I just upgraded to Mountain Lion in My studio and am running 10.3.7 ONLY. I had PT 11 HD, but see no need to complicate my life now since I have too many projects going that will finish on 10 first. I also am waiting for the new Tower before I jump and will wait to see how that all shakes out-:) I will be transitioning from HD Accel to Native 11 HD system with Thunderbolt to my New Avid IO I have already. Seemed like totally the way to go. I will also have my old HD System, since mine was NOT an upgrade purchase. It's a full system separate from the old one. That's my two cents for what it's worth-:)
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 10-05-2013, 05:32 PM

Just for test proposes I've test OSX Mavericks with Pro Tools HD 11.02.

It worked without any visual flaws, like application don't open, no sound etc..

I've tested it because of the new feature with Airplay and Apple TV2/3 connected to a TV that extends your Desktop and not just mirror like it did with Mountain Lion.

All I can say, It works. and it's awesome, to put some video in it (just for reference, I did not test it if it's accurate ok) or even display all your plugins that you want to see when you are working... so many options to explore.

ps: please this is to everyone, don't jump to a new OSX without Avid approve it.

Regards,

Dialog Editor, Sound Designer, Re-Recording mixer

nMacPro 6Core/D500/512GB/64Gb ram | PT HD 12 HDN Thunderbolt | HD OMNI | Avid Artist Mix | Novation Impulse 25 | Waves Mercury Native | Audioease All In Bundle | SoundToys | McDSP Classic Pack | DUY Overpack | Arturia Beatstep Pro
Old 10-09-2013, 10:49 AM

Pro Tools 11.0.2 HD on Mac Pro with 2 HDX and Osx Mavericks (10.9 GM).

Pic 1 Pic 2

Start work this morning, finish now and... no problem!

(I try before on Retina with 003 and Scarlett).
Mac Book Pro Touch Bar 2017 3.1 GHz Intel Core i7 - Pro Tools Ultimate - N° 2 HDX - C 24 - Pro Tools 12 HD - N° 02 HD i/o - Focusrite Red 16 Line - N° 2 UAD Apollo 8 Black series - Neve - Focusrite - Avalon - Millennia - Summit - Bricasti - Quested - Meyer - Universal Audio - Waves, Softube, Plugin Alliance, Slate Digital, UAD, etc etc.