Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2009, 01:34 PM

Default I'd may need a max expert for this, I think - (re security)

I am trying to set up privacy/security on my G4 tower as I will be sharing it.
I have 2 operating systems (actually 3)

I have all my private info on on hardrive 1 - with a tiger op system.

All my protools and sessions are on interior hardrive 2 - panther op system - which other people are going to use.

- since I am using 2 different op systems - one is still able to access info kept on tiger (hardrive one) if they are operating on the panther (harddrive 2) with pro-tools,

how can I keep my info/documents etc kept on tiger harddrive 1, private and inaccessible for a second party using panther harddrive 2.
Second parties can only access panther.

I was told that one prob is that I they are 2 'different' op systems - but htat there is still a way to keep my tiger info private.

If someone has any ideas, that would be super.
-cheers
& happy new year
Old 01-04-2009, 03:39 PM

Thumbs up Re: I'd may need a max expert for this, I think - (re security)

You can do what you want to. The question will be how difficult it is to do given with what you already have.

The first thing you will have to do is Get Info on each volume, from each OS, and make certain that you are not ignoring ownership on each volume. Enabling Ignore Ownership for this Volume will make the volumes more easily browsed, if not outright compromised.

The second thing you have to do is understand a bit about how user accounts work in OS X. If you have a user account named eddydee, the OS does not use that name to determine what eddydee can and cannot access. What the OS does is map the name eddydee to a user ID (uid). If eddydee were the first user account created in the OS, then the uid would be 501.

This is important because each OS is going to use the uid, not the user name, to determine what the user can and cannot access. So you could have a user eddydee with a uid of 501 in Panther, and a user eddydee with a uid of 502 in Tiger, and find yourself saying "Eddydee owns these files! Why can't I access them?!"

So, presuming you have everything already setup in each OS, you need to verify that all the user accounts in each OS have the same uid. If they do, you are set. If not, you have work to do that goes beyond the scope of posting it on the DUC. To check uid's, use NetInfo Manager, located in Macintosh HD/Applications/Utilities/. When you launch NetInfo Manager, choose "users" from the middle column. In the right column, locate the user account you need to check and click on it. In the section beneath the three (3) columns, scroll down until you find "uid" in the "Property" column, then look in the "Value(s)" column to see what the user account's uid is.

If all of the user accounts and their corresponding uid's are identical in each OS, you will not have a problem with securing your files, provided the files you want to secure are located in the user's home directory, which is Macintosh HD/Users/<name of user>/, and you are not ignoring ownership on the volume.