Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2008, 11:53 PM

Default Asio drivers?

Hi!

I've been in touch with the East West tech support regarding a problem of mine. I'm using the East West Play engine with a Macbook (2.16 GHz C2D 2GBRam OSXTiger) and an Mbox 2 Pro.
The rtas version of play has got commonly known siriuos problems but the stand alone is supposed to work.

The tech support tells me that I should download an ASIO driver from the digidesign page. Exactly what is an ASIO driver? I've tried searching for it on the digidesign web page and I only found ASIO downloads for PC. Does this mean that the ordinary driver for the sound card does not work with Play?

Thanks in advance for clearing this up.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:51 AM

Does anyone know anything about any ASIO drivers for mac and digidesign cards? Should I talk with the digidesign support about this?

Thanks
Old 07-23-2008, 09:41 AM

Wow, that's some pretty bad tech support if they told you to get ASIO drivers.

ASIO existed in the OS9 days, which means it's been dead for almost 7 years now. They should've told you to install CoreAudio drivers, which is how you use Digi hardware with other software in OSX.

Now, with that being said, the PLAY engine has problems with far more than just RTAS. It doesn't work on Windows or Macs, RTAS, VST or anything. It's just a total worthless POS right now until they fix it.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:41 AM

Thanks a lot. So the drivers the guy wants be to get is actually called "CoreAudio"?

The ASIO talk actually came up after lots and lots of mail corespondacy. I believe I explained my problem like 12 times. In almost every replay they repeated phrases like "increase buffer size" and "turn off effects".

The main problem I have (which does not relate to rtas) is that some of the guitar sounds of Ministry of Rock actually clips at certain occasions (and it does not seem to have anything to do with any output volumes). I have these problems in Standalone mode too, and even when using only one single mono instrument with no effects and like 3000 buffer size.
I sent some audio recording of the clipping to the tech support to ask what the problem might be. Sometimes they answer that it is supposed to sound that way, sometimes they say not. In my opinion a sample is quite poorly recorded if the sound samples clip.

When using Play as an rtas the entire session crashes down as far as the CPU reaches like 5% or something.

Anyway, thanks for clearing up the ASIO/CoreAudio thing!
Old 07-25-2008, 12:13 AM

The EW tech support is quite amusing. I replied them askng if they wanted me to download CoreAudio to use, since there is no ASIO for OSX.
I got this back from them;
"Are you using Pro Tools on a PC? If so, we recommend using an ASIO driver. Let us know if you need further assistance."