Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2004, 05:41 AM

Default Levels of Undo.

Is there an Undo list somewhere where you can undo/redo an operation in the queue without affecting subsequent operations?

Say you wanted to undo an edit that was the 5th one back.Can you just undo that one without affecting the ones that came after it?I've checked the RG but can't seem to find the answer.

This used to possible on a Yamaha AW that I had.You could see the list and choose which ones you wanted to undo/redo.

Thanks,if this is something I've overlooked I apologize.If it's something that is not possible,it should be.

Old 05-29-2004, 09:37 AM

Default Re: Levels of Undo.

Sorry Baz, not with Pro Tools or almost any other program currently available, audio or otherwise. PT LE 6.x provides for up to 32 levels of Undo. You can set the number of Undo's kept in memory on the bottom of the Edit page under Preferences. The more levels of Undo you have, the more memory is used. The Undo History is also cleared, without warning, if any of the following Operations are performed:

"Operations that Clear the Undo Queue:

Pro Tools will not warn you of operations that clear the Undo Queue. Operations that clear the Undo Queue include:

• Deleting a track, or clearing a region from the Audio or MIDI Regions List

• Selecting “Select Unused” in the MIDI Regions List pop-up

• Selecting “Select Unused Regions,” or “Select Unused Regions Except Whole Files” in the Audio Regions List pop-up

• Importing tracks or session data"

I think it's page 260 of the Reference Guide for 6.4

The only programs that I know of that have Selective Undo, which is what you're asking about, are Nuendo and Cubase SX. I saw a demo of Nuendo where the rep performed 10 different actions on a piece of audio. He then went to the Undo History and deleted action #4, without having to Undo 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5 and 4 and then redo his actions after 4. Apparently Nuendo keeps a history of every action performed in a project and you can selectively undo any one of them at any time.

Selective Undo along with Automatic Plug-In Delay Compensation, an option for Zero Crossing Editing and an option for Faster Than Realtime Mixdown With Effects are the four things I wish PT LE had that it doesn't have now. Maybe in the future, who knows.

Cheers,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 05-29-2004, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Selective Undo along with Automatic Plug-In Delay Compensation, an option for Zero Crossing Editing and an option for Faster Than Realtime Mixdown With Effects are the four things I wish PT LE had that it doesn't have now.
i totally agree!!
Old 05-29-2004, 09:50 AM

Thanks guy's, I've got it covered as far as what is possible..I just want more..I was used to the selective undo with my old Yamaha workstation and I agree that it is sorely missed in Protools..

Maybe we can add that to the DIGI wishlist as it is a sweet thing to have

Old 05-29-2004, 11:10 AM

Hey Baz,

Ever considered "save as..." for different states in a session ? Just wondering...
*.pts files aren't that big, afterall. With logical naming conventions one could easily hop around.
Of course, you'll have to close current & reopen the saved version...
Still better IMO, than loosing possible masterpieces...

cheers,

W7 pro 64_i7 3930K_16GB_ Nuendo 6.5.4-7.1.3 / PT 12.4 ------Mac Mini OSX Lion_PT 10.xx
Allen&Heath GS R-24M_ full rack of vintage analog boxes _UAD2_Nugen_iZotope_Melda_Waves_Plugin Alliance_DMG and more
2.0 and 5.1 monitoring
Old 05-29-2004, 12:19 PM

Yes Andrew I have done that.But selective undo is pretty much the only way to idiot proof my system from me

Old 05-29-2004, 12:43 PM

Sorry Big Guy,

You don't really want another app. just for that, do you ??
Let's vote for "UNDO HISTORY / SELECTIVE RESTORE "
I don't even know if HD rigs have that..will check into it, next time at the studio ( just completed a major relocation to a new, pro facility, 45 mins outside of Toronto )

cheers,

W7 pro 64_i7 3930K_16GB_ Nuendo 6.5.4-7.1.3 / PT 12.4 ------Mac Mini OSX Lion_PT 10.xx
Allen&Heath GS R-24M_ full rack of vintage analog boxes _UAD2_Nugen_iZotope_Melda_Waves_Plugin Alliance_DMG and more
2.0 and 5.1 monitoring
Old 05-29-2004, 12:48 PM

Quote:

You don't really want another app. just for that, do you ??

No I want it included with The PT's software

If Yamaha can include it with their entry level AW 16G Pt's should be able to.

Good luck at your new location..With the price of gas you will soon find out if it makes economic sense..It's killing us being an hour from civilization.

Old 05-29-2004, 01:19 PM

Quote:
want it included with The PT's software
to Digidesign>> Give it to him already...

Quote:
With the price of gas you will soon find out if it makes economic sense..It's killing us being an hour from civilization.
I look at it this way;
-studio space in downtown TO is, ...expensive and rising by the hour...
-parking is cost prohibitive
-noisy...lots of traffic
-in the last studio I was associated with, we had quite a few scheduling conflicts over the years. They were always busy, therefore my sessions got bumped on a regular basis.

With my decision to move, all above negatives are solved. As far as fuel cost go...
My small Mazda 5 speed does a roundtrip for about the same as parking would be in the city...

Question is, can I convince my clients to take a trip ???
I have only positive responses so far.
...we'll see..

take care,
cheers,

2.0 and 5.1 monitoring