Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2004, 12:50 PM

Default Re: Studio is done, Help me fill it up!

Alot of people I know go to great lengths to buy great outboard preamps and stuff for an arm and a leg, but they don't give themselves enough credit when I ask if they could just build one themselves. Alot of websites offer books and downloadable PDF articles on DIY projects ranging from a Jensen impregnated DI to a Tube Optical Compressor to custom A/D systems that in my opinion, perform with a really uniqe voice. I've built three API preamp copies using Burr Brown op amps and many other custom components that SSL wouldn't even have in their consoles. I'm using those three modules as a separate front end from my 4048G to run anything that needs a flat frequency response. When frugality is an issue, opt for what you yourself can do. You'll find yourself more knowlegeable about the gear in your studio when you're done and the sound is completely tailorable to what you'll need. And all you need to know is how to use a soldering iron(It's not very hard). Right now, I'm working on what I feel is almost necessary in any 2-trk bus: a great dynamics unit. I've spent about two months and about $500 on the parts to make a near perfect copy of the fairchild 670. Anyone familiar with this unit knows how much they cost. I'm not done yet, but trust me, when I am, I'm going to get alot more buisness because of it. Bottom line: I know studio gear is expensive and good studio gear is REALLY expensive if not priceless( Thank you, Telefunken), but we live in a day and age where we can make these units ourselves and just become better engineers and producers as a result. And to top it all off, it's a hell of alot cheaper.
Old 04-25-2004, 01:42 PM

Default Re: Studio is done, Help me fill it up!

Katoramone, yes I have considered the Mackies. Take a look at what I said! I've decided on a Macke Control...jeeze... Same thing goes for the 421's. I said that too! Where were you on that one?! Thanks for the tips.

Jeff, you're the reason I respect other audio engineers. I just don't have the time for desire to build a preamp or other processor myself, but I see the point. That's impressive, I must say. Good luck with your project!
Old 04-26-2004, 12:19 PM

Default Smaller budget, what preamp/mike system?

Hi, very new here, I've been reading people's advice for preamps and mikes for home studios (spicy italiano and Georgia, etc) I appreciate the info very much, thanks.

I just got protools 001 for a G4 - I do mostly acoustic guitar and vocals - BUT I only have a max budget of about $ 1800 US to get a good preamp and a mike...and I'd like to be at least a bit versatile.

- I'd love to get the 'award winning' warm sound but obviously I can't afford the avalon 737 or the great river MP 2NV with my $1800 - and they seem impossible to find used - though I'd love one of em.

If there are any thoughts about a mike/preamp combo for my $ 1800 US budget - (for guitar and vocals) I'm all ears. I'm not sure there are versatile mikes that are good for both vocals and guitar.
cheers
Ed

Old 04-27-2004, 08:38 AM

Default Re: Smaller budget, what preamp/mike system?

check out the avalon M5 and/or the avalon U5 great units not over the top expensive.. I use them both regularly.

cheers
georgia

Hilton Media Management

Film Doctors http://www.filmdoctors.com
Me... http://georgiahilton.webs.com/
Stage 32 http://www.stage32.com/profile/6569/georgia-hilton
My Production Company http://www.hiltonmm.com

CREDITS (partial) http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0385255/resume
MEMBER: IATSE LOCAL 700