Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2002, 10:40 AM

Default Recording Guitar Direct with Digi 01

I am interested in a preamp that will be a better match for my guitar than the straight plugged into the Digi tone. The Digi 01 has a very low input impedance compared to a tube amp, so I am considering a tube preamp. The VHT valvulator sounds like it might fit the bill, but would like to hear some suggestions. Looking for a nice full, clear and warm clean tone to start with. Of course great OD sounds would be a plus.
Old 04-12-2002, 10:48 AM

Default Re: Recording Guitar Direct with Digi 01

Check out POD2.0 [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
http://volcanojazz.com
http://myspace.com/volcanojazz
Old 04-12-2002, 11:36 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by yavuzj:
Check out POD2.0 [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree. It's the best way to go. I've seen them pretty cheap on www.harmony-central.com.
Tech21 makes one called the Bassdriver that's great for recording bass direct and it's a lot cheaper than the Bass POD.
WD EIDE 10GB
WD EIDE 250GB
XP Pro SP1
ProTools LE 6.4
Old 04-12-2002, 02:59 PM

Hey BwanaR...
Yavuz and homerg are exactly right about POD products. And just to give you another option, here's a Digitech link. Their higher end stuff is pretty decent sounding straight into PT. I use the equivilent of the GNX-2.

~Roy

http://www.zzounds.com/love.music?p=b .DGT&z=1350138453698
Old 04-12-2002, 08:25 PM

just my experience, which doesn't include tube pre's meant for guitar, but i've had great success with the original sansamp pedal. they make a preamp for about $450, so imagine it rocks. i've recorded direct using a '64 Jag. and the sansamp. if you like vintage british/fender tones, it's pretty close. i've been hard pressed trying to duplicate the direct sound through micing a cabinet. i picked up my pedal on ebay for $130. new=$240.
Old 04-12-2002, 09:38 PM

I have the sansamp GT2 and have used it extensively <shameless plug> http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/316/..._bwana_ro.html </shameless plug>. It's a very useful device. Sometimes I would like someting a little more "neutral" , more like a buffer than an amp simulator.

P.S. For anyone interested in hearing 5 minutes of Sansamp/Digi01 abuse check out "Bmulchylodian" at the above link. Strat/SansampGT2/Digig01 with a special appearance by a crafstman 11/16 socket wrench.
Old 04-12-2002, 10:57 PM

Go with the Pod-great piece of gear that can give you many different tones.
Old 04-17-2002, 12:09 AM

I currently use a Digitech 2101 tube preamp. It works very well, however it still doesn't have the sound of a mic'ed tube cabinet. I still prefer pumping the 2101 into a amp and micing it. Much more upfront sound. It crossed my mind the other day about what I would want if I ever got a new piece of guitar gear and I simply couldn't find anything I would want to buy in the multi/FX processing units. It seems the modeling units by Line6 and Digitech are the going thing, but I've never really been impressed by non-tube units.
I've never actually played through them yet, but I will probably consider for my next guitar preamp something like a Mesa Boogie Rectifier Recording Preamp. I love Mesas Amps but boy are they pricey. I have played gigs and recorded with them but never shelled out the cash for my own. Most of the Nashville, Blues, and Rock Pro's still use vintage tube equipment and old stomp boxes. I tend to agree that the sound is still best with the tube equipment. I'll probably couple the pre-amp with some type of multiFX unit to get delay, chorus, verb, etc. For some cheaper tube stuff you might take a look at Randall, Voodoolabs, and Marshall for some of their Preamp units.