Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2014, 07:21 AM

Default I can hear my mic, just not in ANY DAW

Made sure mbox was set to mic/line and not Di for the mic line in the back of mbox mini 3. I have gain nob at 12 in fact it picks up sound if I tap mic or speak into it.... but not in DAW..... My mix nob hard left... Placed audio in session it plays back fine through headphones and monitors. No signal on faders for mic input 1. I don't have anything hooked to the mbox on input 2 however in fruity loops when I change i/o to input 2 it reads a small signal.... Tried same thing in pro tools.... Nothing. It shouldn't even read a signal at all on input 2 cause it isn't anything plugged in on that input.
Old 10-29-2014, 07:22 AM

Default Re: I can hear my mic, just not in ANY DAW!!! Just started happening... please help!!

Having problems with mbox mini 3 and microphone. Its being detected as line input 1/2 in windows 7 on the recording tab in sounds options and I can hear myself through the monitors and headphones but it doesn't give a signal or pick up any sound in any DAW.... Not pro tools 10 or fruity loops or audacity.... It was working fine for two years now all of a sudden I'm having issues... As a matter of fact we just recorded with it the same day this issue came up. Since then haven't been able to solve. Yes phantom power on. Yes set i/o to defaults.... Yes uninstalled and reinstalled drivers old ones and new ones. Even reinstalled avid HD driver for pro tools. Also dumped prefs.... I'm stumped.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:52 AM

Default Re: I can hear my mic, just not in ANY DAW!!! Just started happening... please help!!

I also tried different cables... These only thing I can't try is a new interface.... Anyone?
Old 10-29-2014, 01:20 PM

Turn your mix knob to the right. Hard right to hear just the playback, 12:00 to hear both the playback and the mic inputs together.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 10-30-2014, 10:30 AM

Thank you for responding. Yes, I have turned the mix knob. Left, right and to the middle. I can hear the audio I've imported to the session fine. There just isn't signal coming into faders. I can arm track and record but nothing gets recorded. Ive tried it in fruity loops and audacity with the same results.
Old 10-30-2014, 01:29 PM

Let me see if I can be more clear. I can speak into the mic. I can hear through the headphones and monitors. But.... That same input signal "which is my voice when i speak into the mics stops short and doesn't enter any of the programs I want to record in....
Old 10-31-2014, 07:01 AM

Default I can hear my mic, just not in ANY DAW!!! Just started happening... please he...

What exact make/model mic? plugged into exactly what input on the Mbox 3 mini using a cable with what exact connectors at each end? Are you are sure it is an Mbox 3 mini? Have you tried a different cable? Different mic? Tried increasing the mic gain? Does the level you are looking at increase if you increase the mic gain? If a condenser mic do you have phantom power turned on? Have you confirmed the presence of phantom power with a multimeter/voltmeter on the mic input pins? (Test that at the end of the mic cable).

Have you recorded before with this microphone and Any other interface? Or used it with a live PA mixer etc? Can you check the mic and cable with a Paw/mixer or anything else? Can you check the mic/line input to the MBox with anything else? Does it receive line level inputs on input 01 OK?

Has this ever worked for you in a way you though was OK or is using this interface or mic new to you.

Stop messing around with ASIO4ALL.

You are supposed to install interface drivers manually, with the interface disconnected and never let windows plug and play interfere with things, all clearly documented in the install instructions... There was no driver uninstall utility on the driver disk/download? Disconnect the interface uninstall the driver using the utility and reinstall the correct driver for your OS... The exact OS version being? The driver you are installing is what version?

Try different USB ports. Try running the interface off a powered USB 2 hub. (In case the USB power in the computer is faulty).

In setup>IO press the default button on the input, output and bus tabs.

If none of that works post screenshots showing your playback engine dialog (Setup>playback engine), Setup>IO>Input and the mix window showing clearly the input and output you are using on your track.
Old 10-31-2014, 10:05 AM

So again what *exactly* do you have now, exact model mic etc. AKG is a brand, what exact model? A condenser mic?.... so is phantom power (the 48V button) turned on?

---

If windows update was disabled what updates happened? Antivirus database? Some other software? What exact error messages/pop ups. You should have AV junk turned off on a DAW computer. It is sounding like your computer might be a bit of a mess, you may be heading towards a Windows reinstall if an obvious problem does not show up here soon.
Old 10-31-2014, 11:35 AM

I just want to echo Daryll in that you shouldn't need ASIO4ALL at all. Doesn't an Mbox 3 and it's drivers work well enough? Try uninstalling Asio4all and install the Mbox 3 drivers if you haven't already. That's all you need. The only reason to use Asio4all is make your system audio into an interface in Pro Tools which should only be done if there's an emergency or you need to LISTEN to Pro Tools without a legitimate interface. You can aggregate inputs and outputs in Asio4all but it makes the system unstable in my experience. It takes 2 seconds to reinstall Asio4all if you uninstall it.
Apogee Mini-Me firewire.
Old 10-31-2014, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soybalm View Post
Doesn't an Mbox 3 and it's drivers work well enough?
I had an MBOX 3 for years. It did work well enough. Very stable, except for one driver update that didn't work so well for me.

Correct, ASIO4ALL is meant for interfaces that don't have factory ASIO drivers.