Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2013, 06:48 AM

Default Quality Control question regarding tier 2

2 years ago I did sound post for a feature film and was sent to QC. It passed all QC with zero issues. Subsequently the film has been available on VOD and is currently available as download from I-tunes. I think they may have also released on DVD but I am not sure about that. Based on the QC from 2 years ago, I have the signed release documentation for end of sound post and were signed by my company, the director, and the producers. These documents indicate all sound passed QC, and all audio elements were fully delivered and accepted. Done!

Yesterday I was contacted by the production company company. They said that recently the film was sent to another QC company (I can not imagine why as the film already passed QC) but this new QC place said that there is a 1 minute 'rejectable' issue with the music not being in 5/1. There are no other sound issues, just the 1 minute music thing. This is not a problem as this 1 minute of music is a 'headphone mock' (like a telephone filter) for the music that plays on the actor's headphones (like an I-pod). This track is obviously not in full 5/1 as it is a tiny close sound field stereo track playing on his headphones and not a 'full 5/1 music score'. This was a creative decision that the director made at the time as he wanted this music track to start mono in his head-phones and 'open up' and expand into full 5/1. Some of these newer QC places are absolutely lame, have no idea what they are doing, or even take the time to try to understand the 'meaning' of the sound. They just see no wave forms on the Ls/Rs tracks and flag it.

So... they gave it a rating of 'Pass for tier 2'. What is tier 2? the producer said it was not acceptable for I tunes but, it is already available and down-loadable on I-tunes, and has been available for several months.

QC
Date:09/10/2013
Client:
QC Status: PASS
Version:HD
Dist.Grade ;Tier 2
Operator:
Format:Apple ProResHQ
Standard:1080p|23.98fps
ProgramTime:01:20:43:14

Dist.Grade:1(allDSPs),2,3,or NSFD (Not Suitable for distribution)indicates which DSP tier content can be distributed to based on QC.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:45 AM

Default Re: Quality Control question regarding tier 2

That's BS man! Tell the production company it's creative intent. How would you fix it anyway? Not futz the headphone music? I would push back a little on it.

In QC there is a tier rating system. Tier 1 is passable, tier 2 is passable as well but a little worse, and the last tier, 3 is not passable and need to be addressed.
Custom Build CPU, HDX 1, Omni, 192 I/O Digital
S6 M10 24 fader
Satellite Mac Pro, HDNative, 192 I/0
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 10-31-2013, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonx1 View Post
That's BS man! Tell the production company it's creative intent. How would you fix it anyway? Not futz the headphone music? I would push back a little on it.

In QC there is a tier rating system. Tier 1 is passable, tier 2 is passable as well but a little worse, and the last tier, 3 is not passable and need to be addressed.

I agree with you, I am not fixing this issue there is NOTHING to fix and the film originally passed QC and it is - as it was intended to be- on Itunes and VOD.

I am also used to QC that gives a rating from 0 to 5 for all audio objections and that is thorough in its findings. These new QC places, which in my opinion are a scam, simply assign an arbitrary rejection number without even considering each specific situation. As digital delivery becomes more and more wide spread, many failing audio studios, are becoming Quality Control. They do this to make extra money and stay in business as they are FAILING! These places are usually staffed by overnight students who do the QC (usually non-paid interns) and unfortunately these people are simply NOT qualified for the job. It is also not surprising that low budget films, who have no money for anything, use these low budget QC places to get a "quick, cheap, QC pass" so that they can distribute their films. Unfortunately, like with most other low budget things, this approach always comes back to hunt you. Yesterday the production company told me: it fails QC for Apple I -tunes! so I go to I-Tunes and boom!....it is there, available for download in Dolby Digital:)
Old 10-31-2013, 09:03 AM

Respond with "Artistic License"
They will need to retract it.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:05 AM

It's more fun getting a QC report on a reality show!!
They treat it as a high budget feature!!
Nothing is ever a 1, mostly 2, and 3s.