Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2018, 12:15 PM

Default AES routing issue in 12.8?

Trying to make a 2 ch mix onto a stereo audio track, using AES input and outputs. I see the Input signal going to my RME Raydat card mixer... but it never shows on the track input. I have also tried this in an old version of Nuendo 3.2, and their AES is routed to the exact same chans that PT says it is... and it works like a dream. I have selected the DEFAULT i/o settings in PT and even though I see that it is being routed to the same chans that Nuendo was... it just doesn't show up on the track when on input or record. Seeing that it worked with another program, I know it's NOT the RME Raydat interface card. Also, I am taking a stereo digital signal directly from my Sony DMX r100 console, directly into the AES XLR input of the card so there is nothing else in the way. I also checked my PC and when I play iTunes or youtube... it is playing back through the AES of my audio card just fine. I am beginning to think that this may be a "BUG" inside 12.8? Anyone else here run into this issue of the AES input routing not coming together? It has to be this. I'm going to try and go to the next version of PT and see if it corrects itself. Any comments? Thanks.
Old 02-13-2018, 02:18 PM

Default Re: AES routing issue in 12.8?

A few things,

You mention playing back Itunes through it. You are un selecting the interface in the Control Panel > Sounds as the Default Windows playback device when you go to Pro Tools? It will not work period if it is set as the default. (This is likely the issue)

You have verified the interface is selected in the Playback engine?

You are record arming or hitting the input monitoring button on the track?

You have the I/O configured correctly for PT in the RME software

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 02-13-2018, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
A few things,

You mention playing back Itunes through it.

Yes, meaning my RME RayDat interface card... not Windows. In Sounds only my Raydat is active.

You are un selecting the interface in the Control Panel > Sounds as the Default Windows playback device when you go to Pro Tools?

In PT Hardware, it is set to; ASIO Hamerfall DSP... which is my RayDat.

It will not work period if it is set as the default.
It is not. The PT routings for Inputs/Outputs and Busses are. Same as Nuendo was.

(This is likely the issue)
I don't think so.

You have verified the interface is selected in the Playback engine?
Yes, the Raydat..

You are record arming or hitting the input monitoring button on the track?
Either one... I get nothing.

You have the I/O configured correctly for PT in the RME software
Yes, also set to their default... and Nuendo worked with the same ins and outs that PT says it has assigned to AES (ch 33/34.
In PT i/o settings it tells me that my Hammerfall card is my device, listed at top, right above, optical. All the setings, routings are set to factory default... just to give it the benefit of the doubt. Only AES input is not happening, everything else works as it should.

I still think it's a bug. I have checked all the routings between the card and PT and everything "looks"... the way it is suppose to be. Nuendo assignment for AES is the same as PT... and it works, and PT doesn't. All other chans work accept AES input in PT. I could assign AES out to a stereo mix and no problem there... only problem is getting signal to AES input... in PT 12.8 .
I am stumped!
Old 02-13-2018, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihate100bees View Post
Yes, also set to their default... and Nuendo worked with the same ins and outs that PT says it has assigned to AES (ch 33/34.
In PT i/o settings it tells me that my Hammerfall card is my device, listed at top, right above, optical. All the setings, routings are set to factory default... just to give it the benefit of the doubt. Only AES input is not happening, everything else works as it should.

I still think it's a bug. I have checked all the routings between the card and PT and everything "looks"... the way it is suppose to be. Nuendo assignment for AES is the same as PT... and it works, and PT doesn't. All other chans work accept AES input in PT. I could assign AES out to a stereo mix and no problem there... only problem is getting signal to AES input... in PT 12.8 .
I am stumped!
It is not going to work on 33-34. Pro Tools will only recognize up to 32 on native systems. You would have to fix that in the RME software.

pro-tools-pc.com

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 02-14-2018, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
It is not going to work on 33-34. Pro Tools will only recognize up to 32 on native systems. You would have to fix that in the RME software.
Well I've tried everything else even updated now to 12.8.3 and still can't make it work. I know there are 32 chans but I thought that AES and spdif was beside this, so you could be right.... Any way I can mult 33/34 to say... 31/32, would that work? I have to be able to use the AES in & out from the Raydat interface card. thanks

Last edited by ihate100bees; 02-14-2018 at 03:42 AM.
Old 02-14-2018, 09:45 AM

There is nothing recognized beyond 32 inputs or outputs, there is no exceptions. You can change the routing inputs and outputs to any interface in the totalmix software for RME.

pro-tools-pc.com

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10