Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 08-25-2000, 10:45 AM

Default c/o Digi Tech Support

I just heard that Digidesign had Mackie sign a "contract" which states they can't make any units such as the D8B, which I own, that can control the PT's mixer( besides HUI, which I also heard they don't want Mackie to improve for better performance. Is this the case because if it is, you guys are really lame! This is obviously an attempt to try to force folks to buy a ProControl for their PT system. It must be a "real winner" of a product if you must try to do away with any kind of competition. I've always believed competition was a good thing, especially for us, the buyers. Bad practise Digi!
Old 08-26-2000, 10:12 AM

Default Re: c/o Digi Tech Support

Anybody from DIGI care to comment?

silence can speak volumes.

sdf

www.sugarhillstudios713.com
Old 08-27-2000, 05:29 PM

Well, it is the weekend......We'll give them until Monday.......
Old 08-28-2000, 03:21 PM

wait untill this comes out
it will run everything, Pro Tools, Logic, ect. http://www.radikaltechnologies.com/r...web_nf2001.htm

Origin Records
Seattle
Old 08-28-2000, 03:22 PM

Yes I would like to discuss this further. My info came from a source on another top forum on the web. This question about the Mackie D8B and control of the PT mixer was asked and the the reply was what I stated. I don't want to say who my source is, as he gave this info on his own forum but being a known expert in his field, I have to respect his reply. So I'll stop this posting here, since it's starting to take the roll of a "who do you believe?" I know who I believe. Guess who it's not??
Old 08-28-2000, 05:37 PM
Avid

Dear Armando,

You are welcome to call or e-mail me about this. If the source you are mentioning has any questions about our arrangement with Mackie, then he or she is welcome to contact me also.

Separately, I tried to e-mail you at this address, and received an "unknown host" error message.

[email protected]

Thanks,

Ed Gray
Avid
Skype edgray1000
Old 08-29-2000, 12:22 AM
Avid

No such contract exists, and what's more, Mackie, armed with their experience in co-developing HUI with Digidesign, could use this technology to work with Pro Tools in a way that is similar to that of HUI. Pro Tools communicates with Pro Control, HUI and other hardware control surfaces through software bridges called "personalities" that are developed by Digidesign. In fact, Pro Tools ships with personalities that allow products from Mackie, JL Cooper, Penny & Giles and Peavey to work with Pro Tools via MIDI. If a vendor of a control surface wishes to have that product work with Pro Tools, they can emulate one of these personalities for use with their product, as several companies have already done successfully. While it's not practical for Digidesign to develop customized personalities for any third party who asks for specific support (i.e., "specific personalities") for their controller, the selection of personalities available now provides a good foundation on which many third parties can choose the right personality to emulate. To your comment on Digidesign deliberately "not wanting Mackie to improve for better performance," we developed Pro Control from the outset to be a superior mixing and editing companion to Pro Tools. Pro Control is succeeding in its own right - and not through any artificial attempts to hamstring other products.

Please let me know if you would like to discuss this further. Thanks.

------------------
Ask the Developer Guy!
Ed Gray
Director, Partnering Programs
Digidesign
Avid
Skype edgray1000
Old 08-29-2000, 03:32 AM

It's [email protected]. I changed a few months back. Thanks.