Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 04-26-2006, 12:20 PM

Default Best Drum Sequencing Program for PT?

I hate programming drums ( I am a songwriter not a programmer.)
I do use drum loops sometimes, but they don't always fit what I am working on.

I know this is subjective, but I am open to suggestions on drum sequencing programs, preferably RTAS.
I have Reason, which has Re-Drum, which I hate. I was thinking of trying FXpansion's DR-008.
Has anyone used both?

thanks for any suggestions.

van

"All the truth in the world adds up to one big lie" :: Bob Dylan
¯
Old 04-26-2006, 12:35 PM

Default Re: Best Drum Sequencing Program for PT?

BFD!!!

I'll soon have the money for it, this far I've only tried it for a few times on my friends' LE-rig.

Hands down, it is amazing.
MBox,PTLE7, REAPER, FW1814
Old 04-26-2006, 01:14 PM

Acoustica's Mixcraft is an interesting drum machine piece of software...Personally, I love Reason's ReDrum and use it for all my beats (minus one old song when testing Mixcraft). There's other drum programs if you google drum loop software or something.
In my opinion, "programming" drums is the easiest thing to do! You have a beat in your head, you make it with a few clicks, then choose what sounds fit the best. To call it programming is giving it way too much credit. I just finished my first year in college for computer programming, and let me say, THAT'S difficult programming. Creating a drum loop is almost as fun as playing guitar or whatever.
But that's just a matter of preference and opinion. Good luck!
Old 04-28-2006, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Acoustica's Mixcraft is an interesting drum machine piece of software...Personally, I love Reason's ReDrum and use it for all my beats (minus one old song when testing Mixcraft). There's other drum programs if you google drum loop software or something.
In my opinion, "programming" drums is the easiest thing to do! You have a beat in your head, you make it with a few clicks, then choose what sounds fit the best. To call it programming is giving it way too much credit. I just finished my first year in college for computer programming, and let me say, THAT'S difficult programming. Creating a drum loop is almost as fun as playing guitar or whatever. But that's just a matter of preference and opinion. Good luck!
Thanks but, Mixcraft is more of a multitrack audio mixer with effects, and a loop editor thrown in.
I am looking for something more like Guru, I think. BFD looks cool, but it's more of a drum library. I think you have to use another program to sequence. I was hoping to actually hear from DR-008 / Guru / drum program users.

BTW Kryst: your homepage wins in the "most disturbing" catagory. LOL.

Van

"All the truth in the world adds up to one big lie" :: Bob Dylan
¯
Old 04-28-2006, 05:35 PM

Hahaha, thanks, I'll take that as a compliment, man! And ok, well, I've worked with other drum sequencers, but those were my personal favourites. Of course as I stated, I prefer Reason to all others, but it's all about opinions, right?
Old 04-28-2006, 07:06 PM

Van, I'm not sure what you're looking for; It sounds like you're looking for something that does everything for you or reads your mind.

BFD is great, but you will have to sequence it to your liking. It has loops built in that you can use to design some beats; basically a pattern "picker".
DR008 is really kind of similar. It's like a software drum machine. You load samples into cells like a hardware drum machine's pads, but then you have to sequence it (just like you would with BFD)
Guru is kind of a beat/loop slicer (Kind of like Stylus or Synchronic). It can play loops, but it can also play the loop slices. It has a step sequencer, but you're still going to need to program what you want and how you want it.

ANYTHING you get is going to require a bit of work (sequencing) on your part. (besides just straight loops)

What is it really that you're looking for?

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 04-28-2006, 07:12 PM

Maybe he's looking for a live drummer who owns an electronic drum kit...LOL just playing
Old 04-28-2006, 07:21 PM

I have never tried it, but I guess Groove Agent gets you past all the drum programming... Might work with the RTAS-VST adapter, havent' tried either one
Old 04-28-2006, 07:28 PM

Actually, that is true, and I can confirm that GA2 works with the 2.0 wrapper; a friend of mine has it and showed it to me. A very interesting program, and you're right Stiff, maybe what Van is looking for. Maybe a little bit too random at times, but as with the others, if you put the effort in to sequence it like you want...

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12