Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 12-15-2011, 12:56 AM

Default Re: HDX not shipping until Mid January

Back on track - are they going to ship on time or not?
Old 12-15-2011, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lang View Post
Back on track - are they going to ship on time or not?
Avid know's, all I know is from the dealers I talked to. The latest one (email in the previous post) said the 27th which is pretty much what I was told also by sweetwater, cev and studio economik. Do they have the right date? God knows.

#BOYCOTTTUSPRODUCTS

just not Pro tools and compatible plugins...
Old 12-15-2011, 01:24 AM

I have also already ordered a HDX system; and I guess since we all have cards (HD/Native/MBoxes/003's/etc.) and PT's already - meaning that we can continue to work pretty much uninterrupted - then I would rather wait an additional month and get a stable working system then to receive half-working HDX system which would indeed cause some grey hair in our production workflows.

Though I admit I would like to know the release date as well (even if the news will not be "good")...
Old 12-15-2011, 02:32 AM

I agree it doesn't really matter when they ship. What matters is when they ship in relation to when they said they'd ship. Botched release, rushed release ahead of significant layoffs, botched demo release, kludgey rework of pricing that makes more work for customers and dealers, pricing that suggests desperation and impending insolvency, destruction of resale value of existing hardware before new hardware even hits the streets - these are things that do matter.

They matter to me cause I like ProTools (software) and have been using it for 10 years and want the company to survive so I can keep using it. And in some crazy way I hope that by pointing these things out that something will change for the better.
Old 12-15-2011, 02:38 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osborne_Effect
Old 12-15-2011, 07:05 AM

Hi,

It is a bit bizarre and strange that they have shipped already to Australia and New Zealand and guys over there already have them in their hands!! yet no one can buy one in the USA

I see the issue is people running the demo and wanting to stay on PT10 and were expecting it to be part of their new purchase of HDX, but now this might not happen before the demo runs out and they'll have no option but revert back to PT9 till their new HDX arrives with PT10 included.

I wonder how many HDX systems there are running at the moment! fully loaded with lots of third party plugins and not having any problems.

Me personally, PT9 1-2 crashes a week maybe.

PT10? 7 in the last 2 days...

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club_Build A Tower top 20 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 Control 24 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lang View Post
I agree it doesn't really matter when they ship. .
Maybe for you but I have 2 editors hired in January to start on a new project.
So now I have to buy TDM systems for them instead. Plus they only sell HDX bundled with new interfaces so I am going to deal with that as well by having to buy (less expensive) older interfaces.
There are heavily voiced projects @ 96K and 96 voices is not near enough so buying 4 TDM systems/ satellite and interfaces is mess for me.
It may me good for you but it's going to cost me $$$.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:34 AM

By Emcha_audio
Quote:
The aes ones didn't suffer any crashes at all, so it must have been something else.
Hello. I was at AES on Friday and Saturday. The Pro Tools demo I saw on Friday (I believe around 2:00 pm) was marred by crashes. It was extremely embarassing, I felt bad for them. It crashed at least 2 times maybe 3, and other times it was very sluggish. I have attended AES for the last 15 years or so and that one was as bad a demo as I've ever seen by any company.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:45 AM

Question Re: HDX not shipping until Mid January

Quote:
Hello. I was at AES on Friday and Saturday. The Pro Tools demo I saw on Friday (I believe around 2:00 pm) was marred by crashes. It was extremely embarassing, I felt bad for them. It crashed at least 2 times maybe 3, and other times it was very sluggish. I have attended AES for the last 15 years or so and that one was as bad a demo as I've ever seen by any company.

Quote:
I knew emcha would pipe in here. Are they shipping on time or not? Dig the emperor's clothes man, dig 'em.
David, it's like clock work where the little Avid elf starts posting when post are against Avid but he's just a person that's a troll on audio sites that might own a MBox .....

The question is why is there a delay?? Can the RockStar Post Engineer answer the question or not?
Old 12-15-2011, 08:54 AM

Hello. Well for what it's worth, regardless and in spite of the ghastly AES demo, I quite like Pro Tools, I like Pro Tools 10, I don't mind the prices, I applaud and encourage their right to price things as they see fit, I think Digidesign is a great company with great people working there that make great hardware and software products. I also think Avid management is incompetent and as such are dragging everybody else down with them.

Digidesign rocks. Pro Tools rocks. Avid sucks. The demo I saw at AES was embarassingly bad. Nobody's perfect.