Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)

Old 10-04-1999, 08:20 AM

Default January is just around the corner

I,m gonna buy four complete PT 24/Mix systems
in january for radio production.
Our computer network guy says
-"NT or nothing".
I just want a reliable system that doesn´t crash ten times a day,and as far as I´m concerned, I could go for the Mac.
Can you guys with your experience from dealing with Digidesign,in some way foresee
how good the NT-version will be in a few months?
Does your NT-system crash a lot?
More than Mac?
To me, reliability is more important than zillions of features,therefore I need to get this right.
Soon to be your friend.
BIG HAWK.

Old 10-04-1999, 09:04 AM

Default Re: January is just around the corner

I'll leave it for others to promote the virtues of the NT version of PT, but I have to say that as someone who works in multimedia using NT, Mac & Win98 platforms running on NT, Unix and Novell servers, you need to find a new network guy. If he doesn't understand how to network a mac (to any of the above servers) he is just demonstrating his lack of computer support & networking skills.
Old 10-04-1999, 09:16 AM

I'm an NT user. I built the NT box from scratch. It has run for 4 months without a crash. I selected NT because I'm familiar with PC platforms and have no MAC expertise.
It all depends on what your system person can support. He may need some training and/or some outside consulting help if he can't network the MAC.
Either one will work. Crunch some numbers and decide!
Good Luck.

------------------
Frank Senior
FS Music
Old 10-04-1999, 03:34 PM

I work on the NT platform and have used the MACS.. NT is the way to go!!!
Old 10-04-1999, 10:02 PM

Well, I can't really go into Mac vs NT because I have no experience on Macs, but I have been producing Radio and TV spots on Digi products for the last 6 years. I have to say, Session 8 was as rock solid as anything I've ever seen. 8 to 10 hours a day, 5 days a week, 12 months out of the year, and never had anything major gone wrong. We up-graded to PT24/Mix on NT back in June and this system seems to be every bit as solid as our old Session 8 system. Digi has been great with the up-dates and plug-ins and over-all I have been blown away with the new system's performace and ease of operation. From a fellow radio production professional, I say go for NT, you'll love it!!
Old 10-05-1999, 07:19 AM

I have no experience with Mac, I have been using PTmix NT for now 9 months, and it is VERY stable. No problems at all, no crashes, etc... Long sessions (up to 12 hours) without any problem.

Hope this helps
Have a nice day.
Camilo
Arte Digital Recording Studios
Mexico
Old 10-05-1999, 08:17 AM

Thanks a lot guys (or girls)!
Now I feel pretty confident running NT.

already your friend

Big Hawk
Old 10-05-1999, 08:25 AM

With 5.0 around the corner, I'd wait until it ships and people get a chance to try it out before you decide on a platform - 4.3.2 has been lagging the mac in features, and 5.0 is supposed to fix that (we'll see if it does). Also, more plugins should be shipping for NT by then.

I was at a 5.0 demo last night, and the digi guy said "you can run PT on NT" but you have to "jump through a lot more hoops". There was also a guy who had tried to run NT - it never ended up working on his box, and he had to buy a mac to use it. Mac's work fine on an NT network, as long as the network guy knows what he's doing.

Mike