Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts

Old 07-16-2015, 01:51 AM

Default Re: Can we please have a complete rollout of the PT12 (vanilla and HD) licensing

To the original question/thread: "NO YOU MAY NOT!!!"

I sense the Force is strong with this one...
Old 07-16-2015, 02:21 AM

Default Re: Can we please have a complete rollout of the PT12 (vanilla and HD) licensing

>> Hey all... there has been some confusion with support that I want to clarify. Avid in no way expects customers to re buy their valuable hardware to get current . If a customers lapses on support, they will have a 30 day grace period to get back on with no additional fees. If they fall off support for longer than the 30 day window, our policy is that they pay for the time lapsed (prorated), plus for the new upcoming year. plus a 25% reinstatement fee for the new year. HTH to clear things up. >>

I really don't understand Avid. This makes a huge barrier for coming back if 30 days lapses.
I have perfectly functioning (EDIT: with Quartz Debug Beam sync disabled) PT11HD and I don't need to uprgrade it let say .. until 3-4 years. If I want to upgrade my PT in 2018, do I have to pay for the time lapsed years + extra fee? Doesn't sound a good business model to me.
Learn what Waves did. WUP is alright today.

Last edited by P_J; 07-17-2015 at 11:26 PM.
Old 07-16-2015, 02:55 AM

AVID feels more like a dictatorship each and every day... Seriously... who does what they do? They don't even have a stable platform (with respect)... so they FORCE us to pay Avid Tax while we get a lack of features and overall instability. It certainly should NOT be called a Support plan... because the few times I've tried to use their "support"... they sucked so hard it wasn't even worth 15 minutes of my time trying to use their "help". Just call Vintage King or Sweetwater if you actually want some help. AVID is wretched company. They must have their head so far up each other's you know what to actually think their business model is viable and even remotely considerate of their customer base. My only prayer is that AVID goes under and UA or someone buys Pro Tools.
Old 07-16-2015, 03:22 AM

... and this is the more generous and welcoming HD reinstatement policy - for vanilla (barring any further 'clarification'), you apparently have to purchase a completely new licence at $899 if your support plan lapses, although why the same policy isn't applied to vanilla is a mystery.

However, in bigger markets (where eBay sales can be relied upon), there's another option for vanilla users: Eleven Racks continue to sell at $599 (Sweetwater) and big sellers on eBay list Eleven Racks without Pro Tools/iLok at $399 (the licence/iLok bundles, likely the result of beak up these bundles, appear to sell for upwards of $300).

If Avid continue to sell interfaces with bundled Pro Tools at this price level, this would be a better (if more inconvenient) way to get an upgrade for $200 whenever it suits you.

If you think Avid will pull out of the interface market at this price point, and assuming you can activate an unregistered licence at any time and on the latest version, it may be worth getting an Eleven Rack now?! :)
Old 07-16-2015, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaone View Post
Both; support plan provides both support and access to major updates. Bug fix updates remain free even without a plan.
Thank You!
PT 2018.7 HDX OMNI+HDX8x16 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.12.5 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL-GML -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.
Old 07-16-2015, 04:17 AM

I've kept my nose out because this doesn't really affect me (vanilla) but they want to pay for all the months you've lapsed on subscription?

That is absolutely disgraceful!

There is no way avid won't lose loads of customers over this.
Old 07-16-2015, 04:59 AM

It appears that the Facebook post that started this thread has been removed.
Old 07-16-2015, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by studio 1311 View Post
NOW we're confused

www.spoonsound.com
Old 07-16-2015, 05:47 AM

Quote:
It's doubtful, but maybe Avid is reconsidering their stance.

I subscribed to PT12 (vanilla), but am mostly using Studio One now. I'll wait to see how this all shakes out. At this point I have no problem canceling my monthly subscription, installing my now frozen perpetual PT 11 license (for transfers) and calling it a day with Avid.

tg
Old 07-16-2015, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Did anyone think this through ... ?!

Maybe Avid pay more attention to posts on their Facebook (basically the same as here but the speed of their reaction is impressive) than they do to DUC? Members here have developed and debated sophisticated positions on the new licensing ... and it all may have been falling on deaf ears.