How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 08-28-2019, 09:01 AM

Default Re: Reason 11 is Coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
It sure seems that way. Its almost like they've given up having Reason as an actual DAW, since with R-11, it essentially turns Reason into another VI or plugin, and relegates all the mixing and record functions of the DAW to the users DAW of choice. So, for those Reason users who use it as their main DAW, they'll allow all the VST hosting and such. But if all you want is Reason as another plugin or VI (or both), then you're stuck with only the RE's. Granted, that still makes Reason a very powerful VI/Plugin, given the architecture of the rack and its ease of use. And it opens up some new doors we didn't have before, such as using some of their processors on other audio directly, such as Alligator or Scream, etc. But, not allowing VST hosting as well, seems arbitrary and limits the possibilities unnecessarily.

So here's another thought. Now that Reason is essentially turning itself into a plugin, will other developers create RE versions of their apps like they do now with AU, VST2, VST3, and AAX? Add an RE version as well?

That would make things interesting!
I'm seeing your latter thought in a completely different light. With R11 being what it is (a plugin) is there really any reason for a developer to go through the added time & expense of creating a RE? Especially if you can feed daw audio into the R11 rack devices. Not to be snotty but what would having an RE version of say UVI Falcon do for one?

BTW I have an email in to Blue Cat support asking about routing individual outs from a multi-out vi hosted in Patchwork to PT. Wonder what will come of that; the Patchwork manual doesn't really address that bit of business.

QAPLA!
Old 08-28-2019, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
I'm seeing your latter thought in a completely different light. With R11 being what it is (a plugin) is there really any reason for a developer to go through the added time & expense of creating a RE? Especially if you can feed daw audio into the R11 rack devices. Not to be snotty but what would having an RE version of say UVI Falcon do for one?

BTW I have an email in to Blue Cat support asking about routing individual outs from a multi-out vi hosted in Patchwork to PT. Wonder what will come of that; the Patchwork manual doesn't really address that bit of business.

Well, for Falcon, probably not. But, for many others there is good reason to consider it. For one thing, you can do things in the rack that you really just can't do any other way, or at least not easily. For example, CPU permitting, you could put 4 instances of say, Synape Audio Dune 3 in a Combinator, and create some cool, multilayered patches, controlled and/or modified with other various rack devices, all on 1 instrument track. To do that outside the rack you'd have to have multiple instrument tracks, and multiple instances of the rack etc. So, I can see some good use for that. Of course, if no one will create RE versions of their gear, then Reason hosting VSTs in any DAW would be the simpler solution!

I'll be curious to see what you hear back from BC Audio on that. I haven't had a chance to go into my studio to experiment with using multiple outs. I may do that and see what's what. Seems like I did something like that a long while back, but can't recall what I did exactly or which project it was on.

Old 08-28-2019, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
Well, for Falcon, probably not. But, for many others there is good reason to consider it. For one thing, you can do things in the rack that you really just can't do any other way, or at least not easily. For example, CPU permitting, you could put 4 instances of say, Synape Audio Dune 3 in a Combinator, and create some cool, multilayered patches, controlled and/or modified with other various rack devices, all on 1 instrument track. To do that outside the rack you'd have to have multiple instrument tracks, and multiple instances of the rack etc. So, I can see some good use for that. Of course, if no one will create RE versions of their gear, then Reason hosting VSTs in any DAW would be the simpler solution!

I'll be curious to see what you hear back from BC Audio on that. I haven't had a chance to go into my studio to experiment with using multiple outs. I may do that and see what's what. Seems like I did something like that a long while back, but can't recall what I did exactly or which project it was on.
I heard back from Blue Cat and they pointed me to this webpage at PTE: https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/hom...n-pro-tools-11 It's a little difficult at first to follow but taking some time it kind of works. The reason I say kind of is that hosting a vst in Patchwork synth gives some errors in using multiple outs from a hosted vi (some outputs pass only one side of a stereo pair) but if I use au I don't have that issue (and all channels of the vi in use - EW Play) are stereo pairs . Remember that I'm on a Mac and have use of both vst and au plugins. Waiting to hear back on that.

As to Reason hosting vst's when used as a plugin like R11 is supposed to have I get conflicting answers from the people over at the Reasontalk forum. Some get it confused with Reason as a Rewire slave and say that as a slave no Rewire entity will host vst's. They're still not able to grok Reason as a plugin in a daw and what would be possible now that Rewire is dead as far as the former Propellerheads are concerned.

I just wish we had some idea of whether they're even giving aax a serious look and if they're not this whole conversation is a moot point.

Typing this as I have the US Open tennis on the TV and Djokovich isn't playing all that well with a hurt left shoulder.

QAPLA!
Old 09-02-2019, 05:16 AM

Status update to my previous post:
I should have mentioned the vi I was trying to host in Patchwork synth was the EW Play engine. Repeatedly the vst version would have the aforementioned problems with not passing both sides of the stereo signal whereas the au format was okay.

Turns out the problem is with Play and the library in use didn't matter. Symphonic Orchestra, Ra, etc, all had the same problem so it's the engine itself. I tried other multi-out vi's like Omnisphere 1, BFD3, Sampletank 3, etc. and both vst & au format versions of said vi worked just fine. I'm running the latest version of Play so who knows? Not going to try and chase it down with EW as I know from past experience they'll never be able to figure it out.

On a different note but still R11 related I saw over on the Reasontalk forum thread on R11 someone mentioned that the advanced MIDI routing section has been removed from the Rack. They didn't sat specifically but I'm taking it to mean it's been removed from the R11 plugin which if true sucks. Means you can't do like you can in Play, Kontakt or Sampletank where you load up a bunch of instruments and have them respond on different MIDI channels.

QAPLA!
Old 09-15-2019, 07:59 AM

It’s looking good. I particularly like the plugin version. If they had of done it years ago I would have considered getting Reason instead of Reaktor.

Although, I don’t use Reaktor enough as it is.
Old 09-15-2019, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon.a.billington View Post
It’s looking good. I particularly like the plugin version. If they had of done it years ago I would have considered getting Reason instead of Reaktor.

Although, I don’t use Reaktor enough as it is.
Looks are one thing; operation is another. From what I've been reading you still can't host vst's inside the plugin version according to the scant info over on the regular Reasontalk forum. And anybody that posts about the beta gets scolded by the moderators over there. The first rule of beta testing over there is thou shalt not talk about beta testing except in the beta test forum (for which there is no link).

Reason & Reaktor are two completely different animals and way of working. You can't do in Reason what you can in Reaktor and vice versa.

QAPLA!
Old 09-24-2019, 03:20 PM

Hear we go. Record through Reason components?
Can we?
Reviews tomorrow. bump
Old 09-25-2019, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitT View Post
Hear we go. Record through Reason components?
Can we?
Reviews tomorrow. bump
No aax format but according to their FAQ they're thinking about it. Not working on it but just thinking about it though they are working on an au version to be out by the end of the year (2019).

QAPLA!
Old 09-26-2019, 09:44 AM

Quote:
No aax format but according to their FAQ they're thinking about it. Not working on it but just thinking about it though they are working on an au version to be out by the end of the year (2019).
Hit them up on social media guys, seriously - tell them how much you want to see an AAX version. Staying visible on this is the only way we're likely to see it happen.
RTX 2080ti
64GB DDR5 5200mhz RAM
2 Samsung 980 Pro 1TB SSDs
Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD
LG 34" Ultra-Widescreen monitor
Pro Tools 12.4
A loaf of bread
A stick of butter
A lot of rye whiskey
Old 09-26-2019, 10:00 AM

Quote:
On a different note but still R11 related I saw over on the Reasontalk forum thread on R11 someone mentioned that the advanced MIDI routing section has been removed from the Rack. They didn't sat specifically but I'm taking it to mean it's been removed from the R11 plugin which if true sucks. Means you can't do like you can in Play, Kontakt or Sampletank where you load up a bunch of instruments and have them respond on different MIDI channels.

Not sure what this means yet. I'd be really surprised if Reason took this away. It would almost be a step backwards for them.