Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 08-26-2019, 10:17 AM

Default Re: Changed input routing since PhoenixVerb Surround v3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Rischer View Post
Hi,

After setting up a new system I experienced the same issue. Izotope support, unfortunately, is not very helpful. They told me that it’s a known issue but that they can’t help me. They described a workaround with 5.0 sends but that’s not really an option as frank described...
Till now isotope doesn’t want to provide me with an earlier version of Phoenix surround. Does anyone know how/where to get the 2.0.9 installer for Mac?

Best and thanks
Paul
Sent you a DM.
Old 09-05-2019, 12:59 AM

Hi,

Has anyone managed to get hold of the 2.0.9 installer?

Thanks

Ayush
Old 09-05-2019, 01:02 AM

I have it. I could post a download link unless that's illegal. Not sure.
Old 10-25-2019, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Hi folks,
The good Dr. Sound referred me to this one. I can respond, but you won't like the answer. The change in routing is probably not intentional. In all likelihood it's a bug. But it's been the better part of a year since it got cooked into the code. During that last development period I ran an open beta. Too bad it wasn't caught then when I could do something about it. It all likelihood it was collateral damage that came across as I was trying to work around surround issues with other DAWs. I wish I'd caught it. However it happened (and I honestly don't remember), there's not a thing I can do about it right now.
I normally would not comment publicly about a private discussion I was part of, but in this case I feel it is appropriate. I had a lengthy email conversation with Exponential Audio support in March of 2019 about this very issue. We exchanged Pro Tools sessions and screen capture movies showing the issue. The above statement directly contradicts what I was told via email.

I suggested it was a bug since the behaviour changed after a version update. There was a bit of back and forth, as they did not fully understand the issue I was addressing. Eventually the response I received was...

Quote:
In a 1 channel -> to many stem, such as you’re describing, the mono input comes in by a single channel. By convention, that channel is overlaid by the left channel in a multichannel setup (channel 0)...I understand that time spent trouble shooting is not time mixing and creating.
I like to avoid such issues as well as no one likes troubleshooting.

Right now, the plug-ins will remain as is, but you(sic) concerns will be noted for possible future updates.
I apologize that I can't promise any recent fixes as this isn't a bug but more related to overall workflow.
So I was told this was not a bug, but expected behavior, and that we should change our workflow to account for it. Which we had already done in order to finish the mix. For the record, I was not the mixer, but the issue was thrust upon me as it occurred on my dubstage.

We discovered it the hard way, as a pre-dub was done on one stage with the older version of Phoenixverb and then went to final on a stage with 3.0 version. All dx, foley and fx that had been set up this way with mono to 5.1 verbs started going left heavy when the wet/dry mix was adjusted. It took quite a while to figure out why, as the issue was not obviously related to a reverb at first listen. We had to postpone the mix until we had it figured out. Took us all morning to find the solution to downgrade. When I expressed my concern to the developer that this could have unforeseen catastrophic consequences on a dubstage, I was disappointed to receive this reply. I then mentioned that we would have to downgrade all of our rooms until a fix was provided and that I would have to inform my colleagues of this bug. Their reply was concern that I would post on a public forum. Which I had no intention of doing. I contacted them directly, trying to give them an opportunity to fix the issue with an update quietly. Soon after this, Exponential was acquired by Izotope. We still use version 2.09 for now. I am not suggesting anyone specific is to blame for the reason this occurred. However, the responses are inconsistent with each other.
Anarchy Post
1811 Victory Blvd
Glendale, CA 91201
818-334-3300
www.anarchypost.net
Old 10-26-2019, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric L View Post
I normally would not comment publicly about a private discussion I was part of, but in this case I feel it is appropriate. I had a lengthy email conversation with Exponential Audio support in March of 2019 about this very issue. We exchanged Pro Tools sessions and screen capture movies showing the issue. The above statement directly contradicts what I was told via email.

I suggested it was a bug since the behaviour changed after a version update. There was a bit of back and forth, as they did not fully understand the issue I was addressing. Eventually the response I received was...

So I was told this was not a bug, but expected behavior, and that we should change our workflow to account for it. Which we had already done in order to finish the mix. For the record, I was not the mixer, but the issue was thrust upon me as it occurred on my dubstage.

We discovered it the hard way, as a pre-dub was done on one stage with the older version of Phoenixverb and then went to final on a stage with 3.0 version. All dx, foley and fx that had been set up this way with mono to 5.1 verbs started going left heavy when the wet/dry mix was adjusted. It took quite a while to figure out why, as the issue was not obviously related to a reverb at first listen. We had to postpone the mix until we had it figured out. Took us all morning to find the solution to downgrade. When I expressed my concern to the developer that this could have unforeseen catastrophic consequences on a dubstage, I was disappointed to receive this reply. I then mentioned that we would have to downgrade all of our rooms until a fix was provided and that I would have to inform my colleagues of this bug. Their reply was concern that I would post on a public forum. Which I had no intention of doing. I contacted them directly, trying to give them an opportunity to fix the issue with an update quietly. Soon after this, Exponential was acquired by Izotope. We still use version 2.09 for now. I am not suggesting anyone specific is to blame for the reason this occurred. However, the responses are inconsistent with each other.

WHOA!
That is very unfortunate. I wonder how many others are affected by this who haven't posted (or just not on social media to bother). I was looking to buy some of the new surround verbs after a demo of al of them. But they are expensive when buying the whole bundle packs and with these issues will hold off till it's resolved. Having these types of issue is extremely frustrating during mission critical mixes at the final stage, especially with clients on a Dub stage in a final mix.
-HD Omni
-BM Intensity Pro

-Waves Mercury+SSL4000 Collection+Abbey Roads
-iZotope RX10 Advanced
-iZotope Post Production Suite 6
-iZotope Music Production Suite 5
-HALO UP/DOWN MIX
-ANYMIX
-Delonghi Perfecta ESAM 5600.S
Old 10-27-2019, 01:09 AM

I purchased phoenixverb surround and R2 surround after the sale to Izotope. I don't have access to v2.0.9. Izotope needs to acknowledge this obvious bug and fix it, the sooner the better for all.

Serge
Old 03-07-2020, 10:01 AM

It would appear that the bug has been fixed!! I downloaded an update that appeared on the iZotope website (and not in the iZotope manager app) on the 7th of Feb for both R2 and Phoenix (surround versions) and the routing bug appears to be fixed. Anyone care to test and confirm?
Mac M1 Studio Ultra 64GB RAM OSX 13.6, PT Ultimate 2023.12 HDn, MTRX Studio, 2x Avid S1, PT Dock...
Old 03-07-2020, 10:23 AM

Yes, I did a test on a beta they sent me in Feb. which seemed fine. I wasn't sure when they would release it so I didn't want to spill the beans. Glad it's out now.

Thanks for the heads-up!

Frank.
Old 03-07-2020, 08:26 PM

Just be aware that the outputs revert to LC rather than LR when the plug-in is bypassed. I'm seeing this in stereo/5.0 mode.

Serge
Old 03-07-2020, 08:34 PM

And phoenixverb mono/5.0 goes out the L channel when bypassed.