Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 06-15-2020, 08:34 PM

Default You can now upgrade Mac Pro 7.1 system SSD after the fact through Apple

Apple has just quietly announced and provided a way to increase your system SSD storage after you bought your 2019 Mac Pro. So you don't have to max out your system storage when you buy the Mac Pro if you're not sure how much you might need right away.

It is do it yourself, and you don't have to bring it in for service. It does require using a second Mac running Mac Configurator 2 (free).

Note that this is not for adding additional storage in the other slots, which can already be done in various ways. This is specifically to replace the pair of Apple proprietary system SSD's with larger capacity after the fact, such as going from 256 to 1TB, or 1TB to 4TB, etc. I haven't seen the details, but you order the drives from the Apple Store. Note that in each case it is an extra $200 more than if you upgraded at the time you bought the Mac Pro, which isn't too bad I guess.

I assume the Configurator software handles whatever needs to be done configuring the T2 security chip and all of that. I assume you would also need to back up whatever you need to and so on.

Here is the link to the option on the Apple Store:

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/M...B4b82%252B464d

And a brief announcement about it on 9to5mac:

https://9to5mac.com/2020/06/15/macbo...u-ssd-upgrade/

Note they have also added another graphics card option for the MacBook Pro.
Old 06-16-2020, 03:12 AM

Default Re: You can now upgrade Mac Pro 7.1 system SSD after the fact through Apple

Nice to have the option but man that’s expensive storage. Stupid Apple Tax.

For the price of 4TB you are really close to 8TB of Samsung NVMe storage on a Somnet PCIe card that is potentially four times faster.
Old 06-16-2020, 03:38 AM

Default Re: You can now upgrade Mac Pro 7.1 system SSD after the fact through Apple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdy View Post
For the price of 4TB you are really close to 8TB of Samsung NVMe storage on a Somnet PCIe card that is potentially four times faster.
For the price of 4TB, you can get yourself a 13” MacBook Pro!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-16-2020, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
For the price of 4TB, you can get yourself a 13” MacBook Pro!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HA!!!

•2019 Mac Pro 3.5 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon W - 48 GB 2666 MHz DDR4 (OS 10.15.5) •HD Native PCIe, HD Omni, 192 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •Avid S3 + Dock •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •5.1 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

Additional Systems

•2010 Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon - 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native PCIe, 192 I/o, 96 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x4), McControl (x1), JLCooper Surround panner for D-Command ES, Avid Control •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •7.1.4 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

•2017 MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz i7 - 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native TB, HD Omni, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x1), McControl (x1), Avid Control * or * D-Command ES Main Unit •Fed into whichever system is the main system
Old 06-16-2020, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdy View Post
Nice to have the option but man that’s expensive storage. Stupid Apple Tax.

Also eating one PCIe slot so there are times when you want to upgrade that internal storage.
Old 06-26-2020, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
Apple has just quietly announced and provided a way to increase your system SSD storage after you bought your 2019 Mac Pro. So you don't have to max out your system storage when you buy the Mac Pro if you're not sure how much you might need right away.

It is do it yourself, and you don't have to bring it in for service. It does require using a second Mac running Mac Configurator 2 (free).

Note that this is not for adding additional storage in the other slots, which can already be done in various ways. This is specifically to replace the pair of Apple proprietary system SSD's with larger capacity after the fact, such as going from 256 to 1TB, or 1TB to 4TB, etc. I haven't seen the details, but you order the drives from the Apple Store. Note that in each case it is an extra $200 more than if you upgraded at the time you bought the Mac Pro, which isn't too bad I guess.

I assume the Configurator software handles whatever needs to be done configuring the T2 security chip and all of that. I assume you would also need to back up whatever you need to and so on.

Here is the link to the option on the Apple Store:

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/M...B4b82%252B464d

And a brief announcement about it on 9to5mac:

https://9to5mac.com/2020/06/15/macbo...u-ssd-upgrade/

Note they have also added another graphics card option for the MacBook Pro.

With this software one could mirror drive.....?
Old 06-26-2020, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corp View Post
With this software one could mirror drive.....?
That's what it means
Old 06-27-2020, 08:08 AM

Yes, that's what it means.