Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2000, 08:28 AM
Avid

Default PT TDM Support for Windows NT

Pro Tools TDM 5.1 – Support for Windows NT Delayed:

The Windows market is extremely important to us and we're committed to it. For example, we're just about to release Pro Tools LE v5.1 on both the Macintosh and Windows 98... and that's a big Windows commitment. Unfortunately, we won’t be ready to release a final version of PT TDM v5.1 for NT with the main PT5.1 release. Alhough we have a policy of not promising final release dates, the NT version is approaching Beta quality, and should be available for as a generalized beta release in early 2001. This will let Pro Tools NT customers check out what it's like to work with the new v5.1 features as we move towards our next steps with TDM Windows. While we hope to provide the final release during 2001, we cannot provide an exact release date at this time.

Why is this? The OS landscape on the PC presents a large challenge, Windows NT is being obsoleted as the general install option on new machines, and so a significant number of customers are asking for support of Windows 98, Windows Millennium Edition and Windows 2000. Adding to the challenge, Microsoft has announced Whistler for release in the second half of 2001, which is intended to consolidate all Windows users onto a single OS. We are currently in the process of determining the best migration path for Pro Tools/NT customers. It is possible that "Whistler", will help streamline Windows development greatly.

As much as we'd like to keep to a goal of simultaneous cross platform releases with identical feature sets, this is sometimes not practical. For example, a small but important problem on one platform can unnecessarily hold up shipment of both platforms, or, certain features which are easy to implement on one platform may be difficult or time-consuming on the other. In these instances, we want to avoid forcing all users to wait for important products and features while parity is achieved. For this reason going forward, it is likely that the Mac and PC versions of a Pro Tools TDM release will be on different timetables, with potentially different feature sets at release. Though we still aim to make these Mac and PC versions as similar as is reasonably possible, there could be significant differences on an ongoing basis, depending on the time or effort involved. Currently, Pro Tools v5.0.1/NT version lacks a few items, such as QuickTime and AVoption|XL support

While we may come out with releases for different platforms or operating systems at different times, we will continue to develop the Pro Tools product family using a cross-platform codebase, and we're working hard to find ways to provide users with faster, richer, and more reliable releases, regardless of platform.
Old 09-29-2000, 10:02 AM

Default Re: PT TDM Support for Windows NT

This is a very disappointing development. As a software developer myself, I understand Digidesign's platform concern. I also find it odd that the Intel platform is somehow deemed in a greater state of Operating System flux than the Mac side of things, but that's just my opinon.

Anyone have Mac to sell?

Old 09-29-2000, 10:54 AM

Well...yes this is disappointing. But thank you for informing us. I can understand that Mac has priority because it has a larger user base. The OS problem is one Digi should definitely decide about. We can't go on using NT service pack 5 forever.

An unfortunate side effect is that 3rd party developers are also on hold. I spoke with McDSP folks who said they are waiting on Digi to decide the future route of OS.

------------------
Kevin Perry
Chameleon Music
Old 09-30-2000, 03:05 PM

DigiCS

Many thanks for your honest , but dissapointing reply. I thought Windows 2000 (NT5) WAS the definitive OS Microsoft was working towards, with 98 being phased out during 2002.

Regards
John
Primrose Studio (UK)
Old 10-02-2000, 09:24 PM

While disappointing, this does make sense. But might I ask this question. Since the PC and Mac timetables are now split, can we expect to find features on future Windows releases that are not found on Mac? Common sense tells me that there must be some things that can be developed for Windows easier than Mac. It makes pefect sense that the Windows release should not bog down the Mac release, but what about vice versa? If certain features for Windows are lagging behind Mac, then might I suggest addressing other issues that could not be addressed so timely on the Mac platform?