Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2015, 07:21 AM

Default Re: Sneak Peek at Cloud collab stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockridge View Post
Thanks for the links...

As a songwriter, the marketplace interests me, but what about the fine print in the licensing agreement. Does Avid get a cut from every sale?

I was thinking of trying Pro Tools/First, but I'm guessing I'll have to upgrade to 12 to get access to the marketplace?
Not only that, but will they actually own a piece or royalty percentage of the music?

I went with PT12 and I signed up for the Collaboration.

rockridge is spot on with this. I will be looking for protection of our production and music results. Avid is providing a product and service to make money every way it can for their investors!

Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but I'm in the "I'm watching you!" mode!

Chuck M
Old 04-13-2015, 07:32 AM

yeah... if that's the case it might not be so attractive.
Another "Taxi music service"?

I'd hope more from Avid.
Comes down to who profits the most.
Old 04-13-2015, 07:50 AM

Quote:
yeah... if that's the case it might not be so attractive.
Another "Taxi music service"?...
or busking on YouTube?

Everything else they are doing makes sense even if it doesn't benefit me but I couldn't be more skeptical about this. I've never seen music purchases made other than through word off mouth chains that create a series of short lists. You can't replace networks of knowledgeable people with a database to browse.
Old 04-13-2015, 10:01 AM

I'm skeptical as well, but isn't the old music business basically gone?
Haven't all the knowledgeable music people retired?
I mean those with clout.

Do hit records really even exist anymore?
Do the masses even care about music... isn't really just all about their cell phone
The music world is very fragmented today, no question about it.
That part I agree with Avid.

Everybody wants to make money, I certainly don't begrudge Avid for trying.
And if they can do better than YouTube... we'll see.

But I certainly don't want to chase rainbows.
I might just keep guarding the truth, of course it's only my truth.
Old 04-13-2015, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck M View Post
Not only that, but will they actually own a piece or royalty percentage of the music?
I don't think it matters. Most that use these types of services only have their family and friends buy their stuff anyway.

There's an estimated half billion unknown artists with music online trying to be discovered. 95% of it is awful and steering people to your music through that mush is next to impossible unless you are known already. Or you go through the old school, boots on the ground, shows, own your area and local radio way of doing things in order to steer traffic.

You get maybe one or two youtube-only anomalies a year that break through out of that half billion. Even the youtube thing has been scrutinized more since that Kreayshawn chick got a major label deal with fake youtube hits in the millions before folks caught on. Her album sold less that 10k copies and people lost their jobs.

Last edited by Wall2Wall; 04-13-2015 at 11:18 AM.
Old 04-13-2015, 11:12 AM

Quote:
I'm skeptical as well, but isn't the old music business basically gone?
Haven't all the knowledgeable music people retired?
I mean those with clout..
They never had the clout people assume but airplay was dictated by record sales as opposed to focus groups. The people who bought records voted and they often had damned good taste. For the moment we have the sorcerer's apprentices running the labels.
Old 04-13-2015, 07:41 PM

Personally I do find the cloud thing somewhat compelling for me. As I have some very talented musician friends scattered around the country, and I would love to find a seamless way of being able to collaborate with them. This seems like a good idea and concept. However my only problem is, most of my friends are not using ProTools.

From what I understand, the free version of ProTools, only allows you to do collaboration on a limited basis. Without upgrading. Or paying for more options. Maybe I'm wrong about that, but that's my current understanding.

I recently purchased two HD two systems, with HD eight. And gave them to two of my friends. This will allow us to collaborate easily on the same platform, but the process of uploading files to the cloud storage, then downloading, although it works, it's not as fluid as I would like it to be.

I personally think the cloud option, is much more compelling to do it yourself home recording enthusiast, rather than professionals. I don't know anybody in their right mind, who would be doing recording, that has the potential for high revenue, and to gamble on putting something in the cloud. Especially with all the problems that had the potential plague that kind of environment.

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 04-14-2015, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Johns View Post
I recently purchased two HD two systems, with HD eight. And gave them to two of my friends. This will allow us to collaborate easily on the same platform...
Can I be your friend too? said the cable guy...

Quote:
I personally think the cloud option, is much more compelling to do it yourself home recording enthusiast, rather than professionals.
Why does anyone "need" Avid's cloud? There are options out there already.
Maybe, to meet people you'd never otherwise meet?

At the same time, Avid will have their hand to your pocket during every session.
Is it worth it? Not unless all involved are making money.

Quote:
I don't know anybody in their right mind, who would be doing recording, that has the potential for high revenue, and to gamble on putting something in the cloud. Especially with all the problems that had the potential plague that kind of environment.
Right... Avid will have to prove themselves there.

If you noticed, they were forced by their legal department to state that they reserve the right to do "none" of this.
Old 04-14-2015, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Why does anyone "need" Avid's cloud? There are options out there already.
Maybe, to meet people you'd never otherwise meet?
This is a pretty good description of who it's marketed to.

Quote:
Re-recording mixer Scott Weber says:

“Right now it’s quite an effort to get all the materials from our editors who aren’t in the same facility as we are – they are working in another place – either in LA or NY. That material has to get to us overnight and right now we’re relying on different kinds of servers, FTPs and the web to be uploaded, downloaded and then imported into Pro Tools and combined into the mix sessions before we even start mixing.

Once mixing, of course there are always updates and changes in the mix, there are always unfinished visual effects that don’t come in until the end, so we have to bring in new material and we’re really excited about the potential of Avid Cloud Collaboration for Pro Tools that could save us steps and having to stop our workflow to manually go to a server, download it and import session data. The idea that we could literally be connected to them and have changes appear in our mix session with shared tracks and to just keep working is really exciting to me.”
In tv/film anything that eliminates extra steps and saves time will be embraced.
Old 04-14-2015, 05:47 AM

The idea that we could literally be connected... have changes appear in our mix session with shared tracks and to just keep working is really exciting to me.

Me too Scott, but right now, it's only an idea.