Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 12-13-2005, 11:04 AM

Default former/current ASUS K8V SE DELUXE users

I have a little over a year old allenstein machine (which I'm extremely happy with!) that has an Asus K8V SE Deluxe motherboard . It has 2 512mb sticks of Crucial ram installed in it (the PC3200 DDR SDRAM that allen had listed). I was wondering if it would be okay to get an additional 1gig stick of ram (of the same PC3200 DDR SDRAM from Crucial) and install it into the remaining free slot of my motherboard (taking my ram total up to 2gigs)?

I spent pretty much all day yesterday doing searches on google and yahoo, but I'm still not 100% sure that it's okay to use two 512mb sticks and a single 1gig stick on this particular board. It has a 754 socket so I know that I don't need to worry about having to match stick sizes to get dual channel abilites (because it can't do dual channel). But does anyone here either currently own or at one time owned this particular motherboard and knows whether it would be okay for me to do this? Thank you for your time and help.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:50 AM

Default Re: former/current ASUS K8V SE DELUXE users

Read your motherboard manual under the memory configurations.

No matter what you do, you are going to lose out on system bus, which would NOT be worth it for more memory.

Just buy 2 new matched 1gb sticks.

The PAIR makes the dual channel. You basically negate the advantage of dual channel.

Make sense?
Old 12-13-2005, 04:09 PM

Thanks bigbubbaj for your reply!

I hate to say it, but I'm still a little confused.

I did read through the manual beforehand and did look at those particular pages you posted (thank you for taking the time to look that info up and for posting the link). The usage of the term "dual channel" is part of what's throwing me for a loop. I know that with 939 socket boards , it's important to match memory sticks up in pairs (size, and everything else) because it enables you to be able to take advantage of running the memory in something I read called "dual channel mode" (which one person on the net said can "give somewhere around 15% more overall performance", over single channel mode).

"Socket 754" motherboards on the otherhand (which is what I have), I keep reading can only run memory in single channel mode. With my motherboard, I learned in doing more reading today, it's best not to fill all three slots with ram because "the max speed that can be achieved with all three slots filled is DDR 333" (and so that definitely nixes my original idea of using the two 512mb sticks and just adding a 1gig stick).

So here's where I'm getting confused. What if I removed one of the 512mb sticks that I have in my motherboard, and then put a 1gig stick of memory in it's place (that matched the other 512 stick in everything, with the only exception being in its size). bigbubbaj, would I still be losing out on system bus (in relation to what I'm currently able to get), by doing this? After reading your post and from what I've learned in my readings today, I do now want to eventually get two 1gig sticks of memory for my system. But what I'm wondering now is, would I be taking a hit in any way if I were to use a 1gig stick and a 512mb stick for a month or two, and then at that point purchase the other 1gig stick? Or would it slow my system down some by doing this?

I'm all mixed up because it seems like people are saying that matching ram size is very important when it comes to 939's because it enables you to run in dual channel mode, but since 754's can only run in single channel mode, is it still important that sticks of ram be matched in their size (if they're the same in every other detail, i.e. manufacturer etc.)? Does it cause things to slow down if they're not? 2 gigs of memory comes out to $271.78 over at crucial, so I'm just trying to understand all of this so I can weigh my options. Thanks again for your help. I really do appreciate it.
Old 12-13-2005, 04:32 PM

I run two 512 sticks and 1 gig stick together on an K8V SE Deluxe. Been that way for a year no problems. Runs like a champ. All three sticks are crucial memory.
Jon
Old 12-13-2005, 07:23 PM

lol.... you are right!

Not dual channel.

It does slow it down though...

You can try it and see what happens....

Keeping the sustem bus fast would be important to me though.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:16 AM

Hey Guys, I have the same delima, I am starting to run alot of soft synth programs and I need more memory as well, I hope I dont have to go out and buy 2 sticks of 1GB ram I paid good money for Kingston HyperX 2 x 512MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 500 (PC 4000) Unbuffered, Somebody say it isnt so!!!!!!

Thanks, Tracy Lowery