Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2012, 01:10 AM

Default HD Omni - analogue insert setup

Hi,

Just got my Pro Tools HDX with Omni system (I'm a complete newbie to the HD world) and primarily want to use the 4x analogue inserts to record with my Neve 1073 DPD pre's / Distressor etc. However I only seem to be able to get sound (input) from channel 1x - channel 2 doesn't seem to be receiving anything. I've triple checked connectors etc and all as they should be. Have I set up something incorrectly in the monitoring stage perhaps (currently using db25 analogue outputs 1-2 for monitors)?
Can't seem to find anything on this in the Omni manual...

Thanks for your help!
Old 05-01-2012, 10:46 AM

Default Re: HD Omni - analogue insert setup

Could you give a little more info about what is hooked up where? How your monitor path is set up should have no bearing on what's going on with the inputs. Also, I'm not sure what you mean by the term "4x inserts". There are only 2 insert paths, for channels 1 and 2.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:40 AM

I'm equally confused about the question here. A few more details would help.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 05-01-2012, 12:55 PM

Hi there - my apologies for not making it clearer, I hope this helps a bit more - still not got my head around the tech side of things yet...

Basically - I've hooked up my Neve 1073 DPD and Distressor and connected them using the analogue 'line-in' inputs (not inserts as stated earlier). There are 4x of these on the back of the unit next to the Omni mic pre section. I thought it would be best to bypass the Omni mic pre section/channels if I'm hooking up the Neve pre and using that instead. Line inputs 1, 3 & 4 are all working beautifully with this setup but for some reason line input 2 isn't.

In regard to the monitoring - I have the MAIN stereo monitor path assigned to the default 1-2 output channels.

Could it be a hardware issue with the Omni possibly?

Thanks ever so much for your help again.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:17 PM

This could be an obvious question, but on the front of the unit, on input 2, is the switch that says "mic, inst, line" selected for line?
Old 05-01-2012, 03:04 PM

Hi - yes it most certainly is... Line inputs 1, 3 & 4 all work perfectly - I can record / listen back to them etc - just not line input 2 for some strange reason. I have used exactly the same lead, mic etc as the other inputs but just not getting any signal into protools as far as i can tell...
Old 05-01-2012, 04:20 PM

Did you push on the left-most front panel rotary encoder so you can access the controls for input 2?
Old 05-02-2012, 12:05 AM

Smile Re: HD Omni - analogue insert setup

Thank you BobbyD - that was the problem and is sorted now!! Was going on the assumption that 1-2 were both activated by selecting 'line' once. The manual doesn't make it clear you need to push the rotary switch in to access 'line input 2'.

Thanks ever so much!
Old 05-02-2012, 12:13 AM

Red face Re: HD Omni - analogue insert setup

And apologies to nst7 - it most certainly wasn't activated! Lol
Old 05-02-2012, 04:13 PM

How do you like the OMNI now that it's setup?

C
PT 2021.10 HDX 16x24 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.13.6 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.