Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 01-12-2009, 01:10 PM

Default Re: PT 8 | Auto Rename only Re-Names last selected file

There has always been some wierdness with this function.. especially if the left and right hand channels end up in separate paths.. which can easily happen... or if you AudioSuite only one channel.

The only reliable way of using the function is to consolidate all regions as separate files first.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 01-12-2009, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
Auto-rename is working here. How are you selecting these, exactly? What are the parameters you're using in the auto-rename window? The more detail you can provide the easier it will be to troubleshoot.
For myself, I cant seem to batch rename and keep the root name only without it adding numbers and a suffix.

If I use the regular Rename dialog(Ctrl+Shift+R) I can name every region in a track to "kick" for example with no extension numbers but I have to do this one at a time. There is no way to batch this. Using the regular Rename on more than one selected region will only change the name of one(usually the first or last region in the entire selection) and the others have to be painfully done one at a time. Unfortunately, using Auto Rename gives everything extension numbers which aren't always needed.

There are a few benefits to being able to batch this quickly using the same name with no extensions. The big one is to be able to replace regions for static sample layering or replacement. The Replace Region dialog will not allow us to replace regions of different lengths unless the exact same name is used. Unfortunately, there seems to be no way to batch rename regions in a track to give it the exact same name without extension numbers. We have to step through them one at a time. All couple hundred of them.

My video demo above shows me replacing a real kick with a static sample for layering using the Region Replace dialog. The only way to do this is to have all the regions use the same name without numbers or extensions etc.

If we could hold down Alt+Ok to batch rename all selected regions the same way we can batch remove regions, then drum/percussion replacement and layering using static samples would be lightning fast.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 01-12-2009, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
Auto-rename is working here. How are you selecting these, exactly? What are the parameters you're using in the auto-rename window? The more detail you can provide the easier it will be to troubleshoot.
I am selecting 7 stereo files that have been consolidate first. Auto-rename only re-names the last file in the list. I enter the name I want the files to have followed by 1 in the Starting number field followed by a 1 in the number of places field - suffix is left empty
Old 01-12-2009, 05:17 PM

Try splitting the stereo track into 2 mono tracks.. sometimes you have to auto-rename left and right separately for it to work.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 01-12-2009, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25ghosts View Post
I am selecting 7 stereo files that have been consolidate first. Auto-rename only re-names the last file in the list. I enter the name I want the files to have followed by 1 in the Starting number field followed by a 1 in the number of places field - suffix is left empty
I have confirmed that this happens on my system too. I highlight some files holding down shift and then shift apple R and type in a name and it only renames the last selected region.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 01-13-2009, 03:52 PM
Avid

Quote:
Are you only selecting them in the regions bin? If so, that's most likely the problem - you'll notice when doing so that only the last region in the playlist is selected and the only one whose name will change. The way to do it that works is select the regions in the playlist, so they're all highlighted as being selected, then do the auto-rename.
Old 01-14-2009, 06:55 AM
Avid

I’m not aware of that code changing in quite a while.... about the reason it only selects the last region when you click in the region bin, I can speculate that it probably has to do with the algorithm that finds the associated element on a track’s playlist. That algorithm does a linear search through all playlists to find the region you clicked on in the region bin. If we did it for a lot of regions ( not just one ), it would not scale well and likely result in a delay. I think the reason it’s not true in the reverse direction is that looking up a region in the region bin is a faster operation – it does not require a linear search so it’s fast to do it multiple times.

-tv

"There's a fine line between stupid and clever."
Old 01-19-2009, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Hi,

it is basically just like the header says.

I select 8 regions which are independent audio files. In PT 7 I could batch rename those with the "Auto Rename" feature in the regions list.

In PT8 - PT ONLY renames the LAST file selected and acts as if I had only selected one file.

Am I doing something wrong or is this a BUG

Thanks for any input
/push

This funktion is very important. Some official statement or solution/upcoming solution is needed since there are some posts regarding that issue resulting in nothing.