Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2006, 01:20 PM

Default Is digi\'s update costing like Waves WUP?

I paid a bucketload to upgrade to 7.2HD in October; with little for it (I'm music not post driven). Now I find that the more needed music stuff comes out in 7.3HD and I'm expected to pay again,(and more than last time) less than 2 months after paying for the last upgrade.

I know this sounds like whinging, but I have given up WAVES because of WUP - this seems worse! It should have been at least a 50% upgrade discount if 7.2 upgarde was purchased in previous 3 mnths.

Does anyone else feel that digi is wringing every last cent from its customers before we all migrate to Quad+ MAcPros in desperation?

L
Old 12-08-2006, 01:36 PM

Default Re: Is digi\'s update costing like Waves WUP?

Someone smarter than I am pointed out that we can expect a post-oriented upgrade to PT to coincide with NAB and a more music-oriented upgrade around the time of NAMM. If you are more interested in upgrading for music-oriented improvements, I would suggest upgrading in the fall/winter and skipping the spring/summer release.

Sonny Keyes
Ricochet Audio
Toronto

Rig 1: 2.8GHz Macbook Pro PT 12.7.1 Logic 10.3.2 Scarlett 18i20
Rig 2: 2.66 QuadCore Intel Xeon Logic 10.2.0 Scarlett 18i20 PTHD10.3.10
Old 12-08-2006, 02:54 PM

If you already own 7.2 then the price to upgrade to 7.3 is $79 instead of $199. It looks like the link for the discounted version is not working correctly on digidesign.com at the moment. When the dust settles I'm sure you will be able to purchase at the discounted price.

7.3 News Release
Old 12-08-2006, 03:36 PM

Quote:
I paid a bucketload to upgrade to 7.2HD in October; with little for it (I'm music not post driven). Now I find that the more needed music stuff comes out in 7.3HD and I'm expected to pay again,(and more than last time) less than 2 months after paying for the last upgrade.

If you can't afford $79.00 upgrade how did you afford an HD system?
You getting features that improve your work flow.
WUP on a Mercury Bundle is about $450.00 per year!!!
Old 12-08-2006, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Quote:

If you can't afford $79.00 upgrade how did you afford an HD system?
You getting features that improve your work flow.
WUP on a Mercury Bundle is about $450.00 per year!!!
They key is what are you geting when you upgrade in PT? New features that you can choose to upgrade to or not.

With WUP, you get nothing, except for maybe a few useless plug-ins that you will never use.
2xMacPro 2.66,002r,OSX 10.4.10,PT 7.4cs8
3xVisionDaw,NI Komplete,Yamaha 01V/96
Old 12-08-2006, 07:57 PM

I would suggest speaking with your local Digidesign rep about this if you feel that strongly about the matter.
Old 12-08-2006, 08:37 PM

Quote:

They key is what are you geting when you upgrade in PT? New features that you can choose to upgrade to or not.

With WUP, you get nothing, except for maybe a few useless plug-ins that you will never use.
Exactly my point With Digi you are NOT FORCED to stay up to date.
Can you imagine if Digidesign charged you to go form Version 6 to 7.3 and MADE you pay for 7.0 & 7.2
There would be a lot of angry customers

Well that's what Waves does ...

Waves will not even give me email Tech Support with my expired (now 2 years) WUP.
Old 12-08-2006, 08:46 PM

Quote:
I paid a bucketload to upgrade to 7.2HD in October; with little for it (I'm music not post driven)./SNIP/ It should have been at least a 50% upgrade discount if 7.2 upgarde was purchased in previous 3 mnths.

What did you upgrade from?

The stand alone 7.3 upgrade is 2 bills.
The upgrade from 7.2 is 79 bucks.
That's over a 50% discount.

Going from 7.1 > 7.2 at 2 bills was worth if considering the feature set.
And VCA style Masters and moveable fades were worth the upgrade to 7.2 for me.
Not to mention the Group improvements.

It's nothing like WUP.
You get something as you pay for it.
Old 12-08-2006, 10:01 PM

thanks to all for pointing out the $79 rather than $199 for 7.2 to 7.3. I did say i was having a whinge, and the lower price seems sensible and reasonable.

As to the specious comment that i already paid for hd so i should lump it, thank you, my egregiousness is mollified by your perspicacity.
Old 12-09-2006, 12:50 AM

Difference between paid upgrades and WUP is fundamentally this:
- with paid upgrades you choose when to pay or whether to skip the upgrade
- with WUP you pay and don't know if you get anything. Waves V5 is already over two years old

For example, I bought a 002R in 2003 with PTLE 6.0.2 software. Digi gave free upgrades up to PTLE 6.4 and that version was so great that I chose not to buy the paid 6.7 upgrade. I waited and eventually bought the PTLE 7.0 PLUS upgrade for a hundred. This gave me two free plugins worth a thousand. After that, digi gave the PTLE 7.1 upgrade for free until they released this PTLE 7.3 which I bought. So the total upgrading cost has been about 150 dollars, which has given lots of new features and 1000 dollars worth plugins as a bonus. I'd say money well spent. I'm not even going to compare this to Waves policies...

(my HD rig is still so new that there's not a good example about it. that's why the LE story)