Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 02-14-2013, 04:43 PM

Default Pro Tools will not open on fresh install: SOLVED

I just did a fresh install of Windows after a format. I downloaded and installed PT 10.3.3 and it installs fine. I go to open and as soon as the splash screen comes up I get the following error:

Could not complete your request because Assertion in "..\..\BDM\BDM_Workspace.cpp" , line 1485.

After researching for awhile I cant find this specific Assertion error anywhere. All of the ones I find are close but not exact. The fix for these is to trash preferences. This is a fresh install so there are no preferences. I have uninstalled and re-installed. Same thing happens. Any ideas?
Old 02-14-2013, 05:42 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools will not open on fresh install

Maybe your downloaded installer is corrupt?

First thing I'd try is downloading it again (on a fast internet connection).

Is v10.3.3 an updater or full installer? A full version must be installed before applying an updater.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O
Old 02-14-2013, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedhed View Post
Maybe your downloaded installer is corrupt?

First thing I'd try is downloading it again (on a fast internet connection).

Is v10.3.3 an updater or full installer? A full version must be installed before applying an updater.
Its a full installer. I have downloaded it twice already from the only place there is to download it. Im downloading it for the 3rd time now NOT using the download manager to see if this resolves it.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:24 PM

If you didn't do it already, right click on installer EXE and 'Run as Administrator'.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O
Old 02-14-2013, 06:32 PM

Try deleting your databases folder.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:35 PM

I just tried to install for 3rd time no luck. Same error. I am uninstalling now and try to run exe as administrator. Thanks for your comments.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bharath View Post
Try deleting your databases folder.
This is a fresh install. Would there be anything to delete in data base folders? Just curious.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:44 PM

It shouldn't. But the assert you mentioned pertains to databases, catalogs. I will be curious to see if launching ProTools with "Run As Administrator" fixes it.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:56 PM

You might try downloading Trasher and cleaning up any leftover prefs or databases. I often do this before uninstalling Pro Tools and updating it.

EDIT: Nevermind. I just reread the first post and relized this is a fresh Windows install.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 02-15-2013, 01:55 PM

Ok so I finally figured it all out so I wanted to post it here in case anyone has this problem. I first started here http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=334520

I was trying to update from 10.3.2 to 10.3.3. For whatever reason my computer could not find the HD driver to uninstall it so it would never cpmpletely uninstall Pro Tools. So I have a secondary drive (Drive D) that I had cloned Pro Tools onto the last time I did a fresh Windows install last May. So I booted from that drive to try and install 10.3.3 onto that drive. Same issue. It could not find the HD Driver to uninstall it. So I decided to format the D drive and install a fresh copy of Pro Tools onto that drive since most of my important stuff was on my C drive. As noted the install process when just fine, but it would not open because of the assertion error. So I saw a post by Tom@Metro somewhere that said Pro Tools puts database folders everywhere including thumbdrives. And that got me thinking of Beharath who said that this error stems from database folders. So I had the Trasher and used it trash preferences and databases even though on Drive D there were no existing preferences, etc. But what I failed to realize is that Pro Tools never fully uninstalled from my C drive even though it said it was successful in doing so. So I started looking in my Program files in my C drive and sure enough there were Avid and Digidesign folders in there and in the Common files folder. The only problem was, Pro Tools would not delete these. SO after gathering all of my important information from this drive and saving to an external I decided to format it. Then from my D Drive I opened up the Trasher and once again trashed prefs and database. I then emptied my recycle bin and did a restart. Clicked on Pro Tools....Boom! Opened!

So in the end this was all due to traces of PT that were left on my C drive. I only posted all of this so if anyone ever had this issue it would lead them here. I had no idea that Pro Tools (or traces of it anyways) on a different drive would affect another drive. Now I know thanks to Tom and Baharath. So Thanks to everyone who contributed. This is an outstanding community.