Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools SE and Essential (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2012, 06:33 PM

Exclamation Virtual Instruments - Only a few have sound...

Hello,

I've recently purchased the Avid Recording Studio bundle which comes with Pro Tools SE 8.0.3 and Fast Track.

Environment: Asus A54HR-SX254V Notebook with Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit.
Intel Core i3 2330M processor (2.20GHz)
4GB DDR3 RAM
500GB 5400RPM HDD
Radeon HD 7470 1GB graphics

Apart from all of the issues that I've had with this software (most of which are now resolved after hours and hours of searching and tweaking the OS) I now am left with one single issue which I cannot find a resolution for.

When adding a VI to either an existing session, or an empty one, I am only able to hear sound coming from a select few instruments. Church Organ and one of the Synths seem to be the only ones currently that I've found.

I am able to add these as the instrument, then open the MIDI editor, press any key on the virtual keyboard and sound is generated. However for 95% of the remaining instruments available to me, they produce no sound whatsoever (Pop Drum Kit for example). Either when using the MIDI keyboard, plotting notes and playing the track, and even enabling the track for recording, and then plotting the notes.

I have checked the install DVD and compared the size of the VI directory on my HDD to it, and they are the same size, date etc. So there shouldn't be any installation issues at play here.

EDIT: I do not have a MIDI keyboard, and only wish to plot notes on the MIDI editor available within Pro Tools. All of the MIDI options in preferences are set to none as there is no MIDI interface.

I can provide more information about my environment if needed tonight (I'm writing this at work)

Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

Regards.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:18 PM

Default Re: Virtual Instruments - Only a few have sound...

Bumping for great justice
I really would appreciate some help on this.
Old 07-07-2012, 09:26 PM

some of the keys on the keyboard for the drum notes are dead notes and have no sound, have you gone up and down the whole length of the virtual keyboard?
Old 07-08-2012, 06:30 PM

I don't think that I have tested 100% of the range available. My thinking was "Surely they wouldn't have a default note range displayed, and then stick the audible ones at the bottom or top extremes just to piss you off?", maybe this is exactly what they've done!

Thanks Tim. I'll test this out tonight and hopefully get some sound out of these things.
Old 07-10-2012, 03:59 AM

I've tried the full range of over 20 instruments in the list, I still can only get the church organ and a synth to do anything =(
Old 01-16-2013, 03:34 AM

I have the same problem. Only a hand full of VIs work. Does anyone have an idea what might be the problem?
Old 01-17-2013, 01:07 PM

I have this exact same problem! please tell me you've figured it out because this is frustrating!
Old 01-28-2013, 07:23 AM

Same here only on a Macbook.

Geez, me and pro tools are off to a rough start.
Fast Track audio interface
Yamaha Modus midi keyboard