Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2012, 08:13 AM

Thumbs up OT: [Solved] PT-Win 7 / XP Dual-Boot; Question re: Win 7 Install, Boot Manager Files

Posting here in desperate hope for help...

I previously had PT 9 installed on its own Win 7 partition, in a working, dual-boot XP/Win 7 setup on my Inspiron laptop. I accidently corrupted that setup, and had to reinstall Win 7; here's the situation I posted at EasyBCD forum:
I erroneously installed Win 7 from DVD to its own partition, while booted into XP . As was explained to me here, Win 7 installed boot files to the XP partition because it was the active partition...

After deleting/recreating the desired Win 7 partition, and setting it as active (with Acronis Disk Director rescue CD), I've been attempting to install Win 7 from the DVD, to that new partition.

The problem I am having: is that the Win 7 install hangs after the first reboot, and I believe, (due to MUCH trial and error) it's because of those boot files previously installed to the XP partition... if that is the case, how can I find and remove them such that they're not interfering with the Win 7 install?
Any insight would be greatly appreciated,
Old 02-16-2012, 05:54 PM

Thumbs up Re: OT: PT-Win 7 / XP Dual-Boot; Question re: Win 7 Install, Boot Manager Files

[Solved] - After much research and trial and error, what finally allowed the Windows 7 installation from DVD onto new partition to complete successfully for me (not hang after the first re-boot), and to then be able to dual boot with the existing XP installation, was:
  1. When Windows 7 installation process gets to the part where it asks where you want to install it (which partition), select the new partition, but then also choose Format the partition, there, in the install process (from the Drive Options menu in same window).
  2. Then, when the message appears that the computer needs to re-boot in 10 seconds (the first re-boot), eject the installation DVD.

For whatever reason, that sequence, for me, allowed the installation to complete successfully, with Win 7 installed on (C) drive, as desired, and my other partition, with XP, shows, from within Win 7, as the (E) drive.

Then after running EasyBCD 2.1.2 to add new entry, it easily detected the existing XP installation, and added it to the boot menu... and so when booted into XP, it's on it's own (C) drive, and from within XP, the Win 7 partition appears as the (E) drive.