Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 08-24-2012, 03:31 PM

Default Re: MBox 3 Lights flashing

I was using my mbox 3 for months without any difficulty until I accidentally plugged in a 2nd mic while the phantom power was on. Within seconds the USB port was shut down on my mac with the red flag and the lights on the mbox started alternating in the circle of death. I can't plug it into any computer to make it work now. Anytime I plug it into my macbook pro it quickly causes the usb port to be disabled. I'm afraid I've ruined something internal to the device. Any thoughts on how to make this work? Should I go ahead and try an external powered usb hub at this point or have I most likely fried the mbox?
Old 08-24-2012, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedsmd View Post
I was using my mbox 3 for months without any difficulty until I accidentally plugged in a 2nd mic while the phantom power was on. Within seconds the USB port was shut down on my mac with the red flag and the lights on the mbox started alternating in the circle of death. I can't plug it into any computer to make it work now. Anytime I plug it into my macbook pro it quickly causes the usb port to be disabled. I'm afraid I've ruined something internal to the device. Any thoughts on how to make this work? Should I go ahead and try an external powered usb hub at this point or have I most likely fried the mbox?
My MBox continues to work fine with my powered external USB hub, but it sounds like your issue may be more serious. Powered external USB hubs are not expensive, so you may want to give it a shot.

I thought I read somewhere that if the MBox continues to go into reset mode, contact Avid. I couldn't find where I read that, sorry, it was a while ago.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedsmd View Post
Hello, guys, I have the exact problem. Could you find a solution to this??

Best regards

Giancarlo
Old 02-26-2013, 06:43 AM

Did anyone find a solution to this? I think it's amazing that so many people have had the same problem. We can't all have the same bad luck right?
Old 02-26-2013, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by augster View Post
My MBox continues to work fine with my powered external USB hub, but it sounds like your issue may be more serious. Powered external USB hubs are not expensive, so you may want to give it a shot.

I thought I read somewhere that if the MBox continues to go into reset mode, contact Avid. I couldn't find where I read that, sorry, it was a while ago.
How does one contact Avid without spending $40 on a support code?
Old 08-08-2014, 04:45 PM

Jesus, how can so many people have the same problem and be getting almost no help here? Has Avid not fessed up that there's a serious manufacturing issue here? Mine has done the same as mentioned. It was because I plugged it into a different power strip and boom...flashing lights.

What makes my issue different than what I'm seeing above is that no powered usb hub is working. And I've tried my Mbox 3 with three separate computers and as soon as the usb is plugged in....flashing lights.

I would ask for help but I realize that's pointless at this point.
Old 03-05-2016, 07:24 AM

Same thing happened to me.
I bought a new Mbox 3 six months ago. It was working great and them all of a sudden I get the Christmas Lights. 'Hardware Not Connected'.

Avid told me that since I didn't buy it from an authorized Avid reseller, I have to pay to have it fixed at an authorized repair center.

I called the repair center - they'll swap it out for a refurb. unit for $130, or sell a refurb. outright for $170.

But is this problem just going to happen again down the line?
Was the Mbox 3 product line abandoned for a reason?
Old 04-15-2016, 10:59 AM

I've got the same problem! I just posted about it but will post again here- i need help! and yes, i don't want to spend the $40 to call tech support. Here's my other post - would so appreciate some help! "Not sure if this should be in the pro tools 11 thread or ? (this is my first post) ...I have an Mbox gen 3, using pro tools 11.3.1 on a Macbook pro OS X Yosemite 10.10.3.
I've been using this for the last 3 years and it's been running ok, until yesterday when i went to plug in a second mic lead into the available input in the Mbox, and all the lights flashed, and now all the led lights continue to flash one after the other repeatedly, and there is a repetitive clicking sound happening in the head phones. I'm not very tech savvy, but read about someone else having a similar problem and they plugged the Mbox into a second computer and somehow it 'reset' itself. I tried this and nothing changed. There was also talk of downloading a driver or firmware but nothing suggested. Any help would be great...I do have Mbox 2 i can dust off but rather stay with the 3. Any insight appreciated! thanks..."
Old 05-30-2016, 05:35 PM

same problem here too
Old 09-08-2016, 09:57 PM

Default Solution to the problem of lights still on Mbox audio interface.

Solution to the problem of lights still on Mbox audio interface.

1 Ask God to guide you in the procedure.

2 Disable the power management feature on all windows of the USB ports.

Procedure:
Click Start, type Power Options in the Search box, and then click Power Options in the returned list
Click Change plan settings for the selected power plan
Click Change advanced power settings
Expand USB settings, and USB selective suspend setting and change the setting to off for the option on battery: or taken:
Click OK on the Power Settings window and click Save Changes in the Edit window plan settings

Important: This is a default power setting disabeling this setting will cause additional battery power consumption when the mobile PC is in sleep or hibernation mode and disconnected.

3. Install the latest drive interface.
Restarts the system and connect the USB interface cable to a hub and press the 4 buttons simultaneously: Multi-DIM- + 48v-Mono. All together to the fact that system recognize the interface.
Ready! ja can drop the 4 buttons and thank God for having made it.

I have helped you all.