Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 09-18-2001, 09:27 PM

Default Slave Protools to Cakewalk on second PC?

Hello all:

I've been using Cakewalk for years now, on an older computer with which I use the Soundblaster Live! as a cheap sampler solution. I bought a second computer upon which I run Protools, but here's my predicament:

I still need those soundfonts, and a decent MIDI sequencer. Either I could do all my sequencing in Cakewalk and transfer right to ProTools to add my live tracks, or, preferably, I could slave Protools to Cakewalk so that I could run the live tracks off Protools, and synch them to dynamic MIDI content on my second PC. I use an external MIDI keyboard to both produce sounds, and as a controller. Then when I'm completely satisfied with the MIDI and live audio, I'd mix them down on Protools, etc.

Does anyone know if this can be done? I suspect it can, but I'm not sure how. If it is possible, how would I wire the MIDI cables to include my X5D synth in the loop? It needs to receive and send MIDI data, being a controller and a synth.

Thanks in advance for your input, I look forward to getting more out of this Protools rig!

Thanks,
Mark
Old 09-18-2001, 10:20 PM

Default Re: Slave Protools to Cakewalk on second PC?

I'm not actually a Cubase user, I'm using Cakewalk. I'm not used to striping tracks with SMPTE either, but I'd be interested in figuring it out. I'm using Cakewalk Home Studio 9.0

Perhaps an external synch device might work?

Cheers,
Mark
Old 09-19-2001, 05:30 AM

Sorry-it was late. Cakewalk/Cubase? Kinda look the same. Anyway-the idea would be the same. If you want to try it check in your software/manual to see if it will 1)Generate SMPTE time code 2) Read SMPTE time code. If the answer to 1 is no it will be less convenient. If the answer to 2 is no it won't work. You'll have to use MIDI time code.
Old 09-19-2001, 06:18 AM

I midi sync my laptop (running CW9) and the ProTools box using PT as the master. PT has a slight delay when it begins recording, so if you set PT as slave, you're going to be missing some audio. Set it as master and it'll trigger CW9 on the other computer when it's ready. Be sure to set the project to sync to external midi in CW9 and hit play, it'll sit there waiting for a midi start command from PT. One other thing, there's a setting you must select in PT before it'll send the appropriate midi start/stop commands, I forget exactly where this is, it's in one of the drop down menus, not in one of the device configuration menus. If you look around you should be able to find it, it has something to do with outputting midi. Sorry I can't remember the exact setting off the top of my head. Good luck!