Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9

Old 02-27-2011, 07:02 PM

Default Re: Is cross grading to PT9 worth it?

HD went to 8.1
Old 02-27-2011, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowdytom View Post
Yes it is the last ever release of protools LE 8 I thought it was 8.4.Thanks for clearing that up formfunction.
Just to be clear nst7, I will be able to run protools LE 8.0.4 factory and protools 9 on both my computers with one Ilok, just not at the same time?
Thanks for the info on Windows 7 getz76. When I built my desktop for protools a couple of years ago Windows XP was the DUC favourite. I know vista is a horror show, so are you telling me windows 7 is a good reliable platform?
I like Windows 7 a lot. I have found it to be stable and efficient.

You will need two separation boot partitions. Two installs of Pro Tools cannot exist on the same boot drive.

It should be simple to do if you do a fresh install of Windows 7. Just do the optimizations before you install Pro Tools and image the installation using something like Acronis TrueImage.
Old 03-01-2011, 02:51 AM

Just to make sure I'm reading ya'll right, if you have m-powered 8, and you upgrade, you basically lose 8.... And would therefore not be able simply to download the new lic on a separate ilok. I need to get a second lic myself, and was thinking I'd get the upgrade, but since I only have m powered, I wouldn't be purchasing a second license, I would be purchasing a replacement lic.... is that right?
Old 03-01-2011, 08:16 AM

Correct. With M-Powered, you do actually surrender the license. Whereas with LE, the previous software was not Ilok based.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:13 PM

ahhhh, well bummer....
Old 03-01-2011, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
Correct. With M-Powered, you do actually surrender the license. Whereas with LE, the previous software was not Ilok based.
But, has anyone conformed or denied whether on M-Powered the crossgrade license will open M-Powered 8 as well. There was a thread that said it did, but I never saw a conclusion.
Old 03-02-2011, 02:05 AM

As I'm understanding it, to surrender your license means that the old one is gone. But I sure hope not!
Old 03-02-2011, 05:17 AM

I had M-Powered 6.8 (for the PC) which had a free upgrade to PT7.

I've recently moved to an iMac and bought an MBox Pro with the PT9 crossgrade. Apparently this would provide seamless integration with PTs. Not so.

After registering at iLok.com, it appears that my original PT M-Powered license is still intact. It shows an indefinite expiry date.

I personnaly found it quite confusing with all the different versions and licensing issues. Having done it, it's now clear, but there's a lack of clear information from AVID on this. Even the retailers are not always clear of how it works.

However, having gone through all the upgrades and registrations, my MBox doesn't work and it seems you can only get support from AVID if you pre-pay for it, which is customer support on a par with RyanAir.

Just one point about PT9 coming from M-Powered PT7 - I noticed that the original compressor has vanished (which I think happened with PT8 anyway). This means my exisiting projects import but don't sound like they did, especially those with sidechaining. PT9 doesn't even try to substitute the current incarnation.

Was the previous de-esser better too?

And I think the included set of (effects) plugins are actually really very bland for any serious sound design work, especially if you compare PT9 to any other current DAW.

So, is it worth upgrading to PT9? Based on my own MBox Pro problems, the lack of (unpaid) customer support from AVID (even when their own products fail), and the very plain set of bundled FX plugins, I'm not sure I'd recommend it, albeit it's always refreshing to have a few new aspects to a program to enjoy.

I'm sure I'll feel better as and when the MBox Pro is working, but at this point in time, I'm a very dissatisfied customer.

R
Old 03-03-2011, 11:09 AM

But what about the software? Is the delay compensation really the make or break point for PT 9 against 8?
Old 03-03-2011, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonicweird View Post
But what about the software? Is the delay compensation really the make or break point for PT 9 against 8?
For many, it is THE reason to jump on board. I also find 9 seems to do a few other things better than 8, like Elastic Audio. In PT8, it was about 50/50 whether using EA would totally corrupt audio files(making them gurgle and pop). PT9 has seen that drop to about 20% at the worst. Being free to choose almost ANY audio interface is also huge for some(but I am content with my 003 setup).

The better I drink...the more I mix.....

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave