How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 12-20-2010, 03:47 PM

Default Re: Avid Mbox vs. Apogee Duet - Mini Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracejames View Post
Appreciate the feedback. So, daisy-chaining a firewire interface to the firewire drive is approved by Digi then? I've been out of the loops with audio for a while. Just want to make sure i set up my MBP properly. I'm planning on getting a digi approved drive.
This is the approved/preferred method if you only have one FireWire port.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracejames View Post
Appreciate the feedback. So, daisy-chaining a firewire interface to the firewire drive is approved by Digi then? I've been out of the loops with audio for a while. Just want to make sure i set up my MBP properly. I'm planning on getting a digi approved drive. PT9 opens up new possibilities with these different FW interfaces. From your review, the issue isn't the converters but more the built-in micpres. I may still go with an mbox3 and couple it with a high-end BA or UA mic-pre.
I daisy chain my ProFire 610 on my G-Drive external with no issues.

- Sent using Tapatalk.
Old 12-21-2010, 04:42 PM

Much obliged. I'm going to consider and look at the Babyface and Duet.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumster View Post

I still don't have the Babyface yet, but my dealer told me that it may arrive by late next week. I can see it working well with two external drives because it'll be running on it's own off the USB port.
Waz Hoppin Drumster,

Still alive and kicking?

I apologize for my impatience but I'm on the verge of getting one of these bad boys. I've been planning on getting the Duet for a while and last minute I'm being told to hold off and consider the Avid Mbox Pro.

After reading your review I still have mixed feelings on what to settle w/.

I'm mainly getting this as a Mobile Recording Studio along w/ a Blue Spark Mic, M-Audio BX5a monitors but can't decide on the interface. I was told by Apogee Tech that the Duet Firewire would be better quality and considerably less impedance feedback than One w/ USB.
Old 01-04-2011, 02:52 AM

Apogee Duet - sample rates between 44k1 and 96k., 124dB, 1kHz at Max SPL; Signal-to-noise ratio: 74dB

* Phantom power and 75dB of gain
* Two channels of professional-quality 24-bit/96kHz audio input and output

RME Babyface USB 2.0 - sample rates up to 192kHz with a signal-to-noise ratio of up to 115dB

* Switchable 48V phantom power. Gain of up to 65dB (adjustable in steps of 1dB over a range of 55dB)
* 10 analog input and 12 output channels

I have no idea what any of this stuff means. So w/ these #'s is the Duet Firewire still more quiet than RME Babyface USB 2.0?
Old 01-04-2011, 05:03 AM

It means that the Duet has more headroom. Having the extra gain is awesome. I love my Duet.

I used to have an older Firebox and used to have to crank the gain to get a good signal. When the gain was cranked, there was more noise in the signal path. The Duet is nice and clean in comparison.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:35 PM

Apogee duet's dynamic range is 114dba s/n
Rme babyface is 115dba s/n

This means they are very close with the rme edging the apogee in digital conversion quality.

apogee duet preamp gain 75db
Rme Babyface is 65db

All this means is the duet has more gain available for a ribbon mic or noisy dynamic mic like the shure sm7b. If you are not using those mics it does not matter. What matters is the preamp sound quality. Everyone knows the apogee preamp's are great. I believe the rme uses the same preamp's as the rme 400 which are good, but the jury is still out on the babyface. I have a feeling the apogee might have a edge for preamp quality.

Here is the deal breaker's

If you need adat in/out get the rme.
If you need usb get the rme.
If you need to separate your hard drive and audio interface get the rme (usb rme and firewire hard drive= separate bandwidth)
If you want the firewire get the apogee.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocoGringo View Post
Waz Hoppin Drumster,

Still alive and kicking?

I apologize for my impatience but I'm on the verge of getting one of these bad boys. I've been planning on getting the Duet for a while and last minute I'm being told to hold off and consider the Avid Mbox Pro.

After reading your review I still have mixed feelings on what to settle w/.

I'm mainly getting this as a Mobile Recording Studio along w/ a Blue Spark Mic, M-Audio BX5a monitors but can't decide on the interface. I was told by Apogee Tech that the Duet Firewire would be better quality and considerably less impedance feedback than One w/ USB.
Hey!

I'm still here. Unfortunately, I don't have anything new to report as my Babyface hasn't arrived yet. My dealer told me that he'd call the supplier at the beginning of next week to find out when it might finally arrive. I've had one on order for almost 2 months now, so it's a bit frustrating. From what I understand, Sweetwater has had a few trickle in but I haven't seen anyone post their experiences yet. Hopefully, it won't be much longer. I'll keep you all posted.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:13 PM

Was the initial comparison using a Mbox 2 or Mbox 3?

I am wondering if the Duet is an upgrade from a Mbox 3?

I would like the Duet version 1 because it is cheaper and uses FW (too few USB ports on my mac mini).
Old 03-22-2013, 10:59 PM

The initial comparison was the Mbox 3.

The Mbox 3 will definitely be an upgrade from the Duet 1. Virtually everyone who's compared them has stated so.

In fact, in my opinion, it's even better than the Duet 2, and I have compared them.

The Mbox 3 is only $399 now because it doesn't come with full Protools software anymore, just Protools Express. So this is good if you already have Protools software. If not, you'll be able to upgrade for $399.

You will actually be better off with USB. You don't need to run out of ports, because you can run almost every other USB device from a powered USB hub if you need to (any USB audio interface should be directly plugged in to the computer. Almost everything else can use a hub).

And then you can run your audio drive via firewire. This will keep it on a separate buss from your interface, giving you better performance.