Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > Storage Subsystems

Old 12-17-2008, 11:20 PM

Default Re: where to buy oxford chipset 911 drives (UK)

jonboi,
you seem to be ignoring the answers.....
Here from digi..
Quote:
digi site says for osx, use 911 oxford.....and the higher fig oxford chips use for os9
I'm not sure where you're reading that, but virtually any of the Oxford chipset should work fine. We've tested 911, 912, 922 and 924 specifically.
On a note about the chips, the chips (911,924,934...) are used in the actual device, you have a laptop with a firewire 400 port and no 800, so you probably only have an oxford 911. the drive you buy would have a different chip depending on the connectors used. If it has both 400 and 800 then it will have a bridge chip(924), this chip does not affect the computer, it just affects the drive... so you can mix and match chips (have a device with 911, and a device with 924, etc)
BUT!

£180.00p...........
http://tinyurl.com/3g5lg2
The Oxford chip info is in the pdf
http://www.g-technology.com/Products...duct-Guide.pdf
Main Site....
http://www.g-technology.com/Products/G-DRIVE.cfm
I have been looking at it Myself
They look good drives.. Good Products.
Old 12-18-2008, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAY_UK View Post
jonboi,
you seem to be ignoring the answers.....
Here from digi..
Quote:
digi site says for osx, use 911 oxford.....and the higher fig oxford chips use for os9
I'm not sure where you're reading that, but virtually any of the Oxford chipset should work fine. We've tested 911, 912, 922 and 924 specifically.
On a note about the chips, the chips (911,924,934...) are used in the actual device, you have a laptop with a firewire 400 port and no 800, so you probably only have an oxford 911. the drive you buy would have a different chip depending on the connectors used. If it has both 400 and 800 then it will have a bridge chip(924), this chip does not affect the computer, it just affects the drive... so you can mix and match chips (have a device with 911, and a device with 924, etc)
BUT!

£180.00p...........
http://tinyurl.com/3g5lg2
The Oxford chip info is in the pdf
http://www.g-technology.com/Products...duct-Guide.pdf
Main Site....
http://www.g-technology.com/Products/G-DRIVE.cfm
I have been looking at it Myself
They look good drives.. Good Products.
dude thankyou.... but...i need to be sure. how about 934 chips...cause theres loads on ebay....but 934 chips.

G media look good.... but expensive.... maybe.... bus powered too..... dont know if thats better than drive having its own power supply......

this is ********** hard man.......

theres no mention of oxford 911 in the gmedia pdf.......almost £200 on a 250gb drive that will probably die in few years.......

doubt ill get one before xmas now...... this is no fun dude. no fun at all.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:42 AM

https://www.jigsaw24.com/default.asp...IGSX679AKA&IP=

does this one have oxford chip????

theres one for £50 more, which says it has oxford chip.......but the above one....im not sure........
Old 12-18-2008, 09:06 AM

JUST BOUGHT A DRIVE!!!

https://www.jigsaw24.com/default.asp...ESKTFC_D51TBCC

SHOULD BE ARRIVING TOMORROW!!!!!

spoke to them on phone, has all the specs i need. fingers crossed it shall be all good with for pro tools.

thanks people.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:30 AM

Glad those last links were useful......
I.m thinking of going for the Mini drive later on.
Cool for recording outdoors, especially in the Summer.
Summer...Oh yes, i remember... roll on.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:45 AM

Quote:
yeah thanks again man..... sounds like a good deal too....cause the guy even said g-tech drives are expensive and good rep..... and yet i got a 500gb for around £150..... sounds perfect really..... cant believe it arrives tmwr!
christmas shall be gooooooooooood.

(tehres a slightly chepaer g-tech drive there.... looks same as my one...but the cheaper one does NOT have oxford chip they said)

(that jigsaw company, very good customer service....i emailed EVRY dept. about a query on 2 simmilar drives .... then rang them straight away as i couldnt wait anylonger...and the guy said im reading youre email just now! and they called me back with all the right answers in 10 mins..... very cool)

merry xmas
Old 12-18-2008, 09:49 AM

Quote:
I.m thinking of going for the Mini drive later on.
Cool for recording outdoors, especially in the Summer.
Summer...Oh yes, i remember... roll on.
summer? we dont have summer here in uk ol chap!

yeah mini drive is sweet...but if not urgent.... OWC from states seem perfect also for pro toolers.... theres a pic of obama using a macbook pro with owc external drives ive seen.....lol
Old 12-18-2008, 11:34 AM
Avid

934 should be just fine. Any Oxford chip should be fine - we just haven't tested 934 specifically, but given that every other Oxford chip has worked, we can be reasonably sure that 934 would as well.
Old 12-18-2008, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboi View Post
https://www.jigsaw24.com/default.asp...IGSX679AKA&IP=

does this one have oxford chip????

theres one for £50 more, which says it has oxford chip.......but the above one....im not sure........
YES it does according to the Manufacturer. I mailed them the product code yesterday and they say ///

Subject: RE: Manufacturer Code: 908112-01
Date: 18 December 2008 17:54:07 GMT
Hello,
[bleep]
That model uses the 934SSA Oxford Chip.
[bleep]
Mike.
[bleep]-------------------------------------------
Odd that this is Firewire 400 only and USB and yet it uses the 934 .. Maybe the latest chip is just put into all there units....
Jigsaw Co, were saying to you that this model does NOT have the Oxford...Hmmm okay whatever.
You got the best one anyway, with it having Firewire 800 and esata.
Apple looks like they are phasing out Firewire 400.

Are you gonna partition it?
Old 12-18-2008, 06:00 PM

Quote:
YES it does according to the Manufacturer. I mailed them the product code yesterday and they say ///

Subject: RE: Manufacturer Code: 908112-01
Date: 18 December 2008 17:54:07 GMT
Hello,
[bleep]
That model uses the 934SSA Oxford Chip.
[bleep]
Mike.
[bleep]-------------------------------------------
Odd that this is Firewire 400 only and USB and yet it uses the 934 .. Maybe the latest chip is just put into all there units....
Jigsaw Co, were saying to you that this model does NOT have the Oxford...Hmmm okay whatever.
You got the best one anyway, with it having Firewire 800 and esata.
Apple looks like they are phasing out Firewire 400.

Are you gonna partition it?
daaaamn....... well......they said they couldnt see or find anywhere where it was stated as having it.....so this would lead them to believe it did NOT....or presume so....... actually one guy said it didnt.....on phone,.... maybe he just wanted the sale....although they sent me support link for gmedia wherei could email them and ask them....but ive spent way too long on this ....... yeah weird...... as the cheaper one is an older model they said.... and the one i bought was a newer one with the 924 chip.... and i asked them if it had 9ms seek time.....he just googled it...and read some review say as fast as up to 4 or 5ms ......

I didnt even look if it had firewire 800..... as i think even the new macbooks dont have firewire i think..... if macbooks dont have firewire anymore....and pro tools wants firewire drives....what is the solution?

partition it? ....that is too advanecd for me! .....how would i benefit by partitioning it??? ........ man i hope i dont have have to reformat it for pro tools and mac....... thats a bit of a grey area for me....... pro tools wants the drive to be journaled extended or something......im gonna have to get the manuals out and read........ anything i need to do before putting pro tools sessions onto it? (dont think im gonna use it for anything else, apart from pro tools..... im gonna get another BIG hard drive to back up my macbook and back up G-media drive too on it)

optical super drive in macbook is CRAP.... might be good to just take that out and fit another 7200rpm drive into laptop.... its noisy... and it always asks...." change region....but you can only do this 4 times"!!! so after changingit four times....its gonna get locked down to one region....and so other region dvds wont play...... and they call it superdrive? they dont mention this on apple mac spcec and features do they? and ive only used british bought dvds in there.... and one dvd rom was freezing up..... i dont like using the superdrive. ...