Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2010, 03:07 PM

Thumbs up Re: Rip digi - pt8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logichead View Post
Yeah, just because they sold something that was supposed to work with PPC machines didn't mean they actually had to deliver it. Stupid PPC users who bought PT8 - what fools you were! Version 8.0.1 sort of works, you got your money's worth.

Right????

Best....H

booyah!!!

www.sugarhillstudios713.com
Old 02-21-2010, 03:48 PM

Default Re: Rip digi - pt8

Thank Phil for the hearty detailing...I will look into it! I move my writing sessions back and forth between home and the studio, so I'll have to try it on the master machine. Is there a demo?

I was "Parthenon West" back on the Logic 4 LUG.
Old 02-21-2010, 04:15 PM

Hi Relaxo, yes there is a demo BUT you need the Vienna Key or an alternative (not an iLok) to make it work. They are inexpensive but it is a hoop you have to jump through. The key works well by the way.

I forgot to mention another reason I went down the VEP path was because you don't need an interface to get back to ProTools.
So you can stream 32 channels of audio straight back into PT via an Ethernet cable.
I don't think you can do that with Bidule. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

That was the deal breaker. No interface.
How the hell do they do that?
I remember when I got it working in PT (it comes in via it's own RTAS plug) that I literally walked out to the computer and stared at the ethernet cable...........I was thinking "you're kidding me, it's all coming from that?"

http://philbuckle.com/
Old 02-21-2010, 04:27 PM

Oh yeah, I knew that about the ethernet cable. (Are hubs allowed?) Your Vienna plug in shows up in PT, right, loaded with whatever you want.
Old 02-21-2010, 04:57 PM

Not sure about the hub sorry. Yeah you just open up an instrument channel and put VEP RTAS plug on that. Then you make more instrument channels as you need them and in the instrument input channel you will see 16 VEP stereo audio channels. Actually I think you can have 32 stereo audio channels but I haven't tried or needed it.
You only need 1 RTAS plug though. So it's a tiny RTAS footprint.
VEP also has it's own midi system so you don't need ipmidi or MOL.
The midi channels automatically show up in PT.

As of a couple of builds ago VEP also receives tempo from PT. So plugs like Stylus and Omnisphere and any other tempo based plug will act as if they are in PT. It's seamless now and feels as if the plug is part of PT. Auditioning loops in VEP is a snap.
I can't drag from VEP to PT so I just drag from VEP to the desktop of my master computer and then drag into PT.
I'm using the app "Teleport" to mouse between computers.

Old 02-21-2010, 05:25 PM

I've just started using VEPro ,and have to say,its great.Worked well straight away after downloading the demo.Worked ok on the same computer,but is really going well on the imac .The VI solution for pro tools is VEPro.I have one 64bit server for Spectrasonics stuff,and 32bit for NI and REFX and any other audio unit plugins i have,I think i had 17 instances of Vi's last night.Plus i'm using structure and xpand and hybrid and velvet all within pro tools .If i had 17 VI's in pro tools i don't think it would be very good.In fact i may even have trouble opening up the session,which has happened to me once or twice.
Also the loading of sounds in say omnisphere is so quick i can audition sounds like i would on a real keyboard,not the minute it took with rtas.I love PT8 its the best yet.
i had to get a ethernet switch/hub to make the 2 computers talk to each other
Old 02-21-2010, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Buckle View Post
I don't think I'm alone. There must be quite a few composers who have to use ProTools because of the audio capabilities but who are hamstrung by the lame RTAS spec.
Who me?

--------------------------------------------------

Why do people keep running over a string a dozen times with their vacuum cleaner, then reach down, pick it up, examine it, then put it down to give the vacuum one more chance?
Old 02-21-2010, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Bayley View Post
I've just started using VEPro ,and have to say,its great.Worked well straight away after downloading the demo.Worked ok on the same computer,but is really going well on the imac .The VI solution for pro tools is VEPro.I have one 64bit server for Spectrasonics stuff,and 32bit for NI and REFX and any other audio unit plugins i have,I think i had 17 instances of Vi's last night.Plus i'm using structure and xpand and hybrid and velvet all within pro tools .If i had 17 VI's in pro tools i don't think it would be very good.In fact i may even have trouble opening up the session,which has happened to me once or twice.
Also the loading of sounds in say omnisphere is so quick i can audition sounds like i would on a real keyboard,not the minute it took with rtas.I love PT8 its the best yet.
i had to get a ethernet switch/hub to make the 2 computers talk to each other
Are you having any trouble with the fan noise from the iMac? I'm assuming that you're sitting right in front of it.
I forgot about the patch changing in Omnisphere. I now know that plugs patches inside out. It's so easy to audition. In PT I would literally fall asleep whilst waiting for patches to load and eventually settle for something close.
Same with Trillian. Those plugs don't seem so vast anymore.

Sorry to the op for hijacking the thread. Damn those VEPro fanboys

Old 02-21-2010, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Bayley View Post
I've just started using VEPro ,and have to say,its great.Worked well straight away after downloading the demo.Worked ok on the same computer,but is really going well on the imac .The VI solution for pro tools is VEPro.
So, a few questions:

1. Will VEPro work on a PPC system that is already using ethernet for an Icon?
2. Can a MacIntel laptop function as a slave?

Very impressive looking product.

Best...H
Old 02-21-2010, 06:23 PM

I don't think there is a problem with your laptop but to answer both questions without doubt I have posted them on the Vienna forum. It may take a day or so for the reply.