Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 01-19-2010, 12:51 AM

Default My NAMM review

Well I had a blast at NAMM with Maddawg, O.G. Killa and Dan (don't know if he posts here.)

I got to meet Herbie Hancock

http://i859.photobucket.com/albums/a...c/IMG_0428.jpg

Allan Sides (Oceanway)

http://i859.photobucket.com/albums/a...c/IMG_0430.jpg

Chris Lord Alge

http://i859.photobucket.com/albums/a...c/IMG_0425.jpg

Colin from McDsp

http://i859.photobucket.com/albums/a...c/IMG_0431.jpg

But I did meet Cookie Monster, and thats good enough for me.

http://i859.photobucket.com/albums/a...c/IMG_0424.jpg

Colin gave me an excellent tour through the new compressorset they are unveiling.. looks very cool and always nice to have more compressor plug ins around the studio... (10 to be exact)

CLA gave me a tour through his mix of 21 Guns by Greenday, and showed us his new plug ins at the Waves booth. They look very cool, especially his signature 1176 & 1776 blue face, as well as his LA-2A. Had a cool guitar modeller and a vocal modeler too, but they seemed sortof whatever.

No to my knowledge "Digidesign is Avid" had NOTHING new to unveil, which I though was a big letdown as well. We were at the booth and asked them profusely "What Gives?" Well I can tell you that my friend's husband was a VP at Avid and got laid-off right before Xmas... not even a new firewire Mbox Pro 3 or anything. They didn't even tell me about the instrument pack. If they had anything held back to show on the last day that would be foolish. This isn't poker, and real working buyers don't have time to spend 4 days at a trade show. Booths get maybe 2 minutes average per customer to SHOW before we walk on.

I did get really chaffed though. I would recommend Gold Bond to anyone going next year....

Thought you'd enjoy some pics.

Best to all my fellow Duc'rs.

Doc
Avid HD Native PCIe Core | Pro Tools HD 2018.1
Old 01-19-2010, 02:22 AM

Default Re: My NAMM review

McDSP announced AU support. Sign o'the times.

I'm of course curious what you learned of CLA's mix.
Old 01-19-2010, 02:30 AM

Thumbs up Re: My NAMM review

Nice report.

Thanks for taking the time and effort to post.

--------------------------------------------------

Why do people keep running over a string a dozen times with their vacuum cleaner, then reach down, pick it up, examine it, then put it down to give the vacuum one more chance?
Old 01-19-2010, 03:32 AM

Thumbs up Re: My NAMM review

Thanks DrFord,

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFord View Post
Well I had a blast at NAMM with Maddawg, O.G. Killa and Dan (don't know if he posts here.)

I got to meet Herbie Hancock

http://i859.photobucket.com/albums/a...c/IMG_0428.jpg

Allan Sides (Oceanway)

http://i859.photobucket.com/albums/a...c/IMG_0430.jpg

Chris Lord Alge

http://i859.photobucket.com/albums/a...c/IMG_0425.jpg

Colin from McDsp

http://i859.photobucket.com/albums/a...c/IMG_0431.jpg

But I did meet Cookie Monster, and thats good enough for me.

http://i859.photobucket.com/albums/a...c/IMG_0424.jpg

Colin gave me an excellent tour through the new compressorset they are unveiling.. looks very cool and always nice to have more compressor plug ins around the studio... (10 to be exact)

CLA gave me a tour through his mix of 21 Guns by Greenday, and showed us his new plug ins at the Waves booth. They look very cool, especially his signature 1176 & 1776 blue face, as well as his LA-2A. Had a cool guitar modeller and a vocal modeler too, but they seemed sortof whatever.

No to my knowledge "Digidesign is Avid" had NOTHING new to unveil, which I though was a big letdown as well. We were at the booth and asked them profusely "What Gives?" Well I can tell you that my friend's husband was a VP at Avid and got laid-off right before Xmas... not even a new firewire Mbox Pro 3 or anything. They didn't even tell me about the instrument pack. If they had anything held back to show on the last day that would be foolish. This isn't poker, and real working buyers don't have time to spend 4 days at a trade show. Booths get maybe 2 minutes average per customer to SHOW before we walk on.

I did get really chaffed though. I would recommend Gold Bond to anyone going next year....

Thought you'd enjoy some pics.

Best to all my fellow Duc'rs.

Doc

Waves mercury Bundle
Massey Plug-ins
AIR Creative Bundle
many Audio gears...
Old 01-23-2010, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicemix View Post
McDSP announced AU support. Sign o'the times.

I'm of course curious what you learned of CLA's mix.
Well to be honest, the only thing he was really talking about was how he could use his new plug ins to emulate his studio stuff. I didn't get any secret tips, however I did get to hear a bit of the PT session, and compared to the final mix, its not even close. I am 200% positive that his mix 75% analog and without being in his studio and using his gear you can't have his sound. That being said his 1776 and blue face were very cool compressors and should help you get his sound. I missed Eddie Kramer's demo by 5 mins!

Thanks for the support

C is for cookie.
Avid HD Native PCIe Core | Pro Tools HD 2018.1
Old 01-23-2010, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFord View Post
That being said his 1776 and blue face were very cool compressors and should help you get his sound. I missed Eddie Kramer's demo by 5 mins!

Thanks for the support

C is for cookie.
I believe the CLA are 1176 blue and black. These are great and I use them on every project. I have the Mercury bundle and the Eddie Kramer and Maserati stuff is kids stuff to me. They are basically plug and play mods. They might work for some things, but controls are way limited. Compression is just one knob that you can increase more or less over all fixed compression, no attack, no release, no input, output, etc... These are more like effects then anything else. Very dissapointing thus far.
Old 01-24-2010, 02:47 AM

From what I know of the CLA workflow his assistants use plugins to submix the tracks down to DASH and it's analog from there. The plugins they use might not be so impressive: he has claimed he likes the L1 on a vocal, for instance.

It's nice to find out what other people have found works but I wouldn't try to emulate anyone. Nearly everyone is chock full of bad habits that they have overcome in nice ways, and emulating them you are likely to only copy the bad parts.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:52 PM

Yeah, when I sat in on a CLA mix he was zero % ITB. Straight from DASH to the SSL and outboard gear. He has it all dialed in so his assistants output PT tracks to the DASH in a certain way. Then it's always the same from the DASH to the SSL. Same settings if he's doing Green Day or a country band. That's why it all sounds the same!

He is the master of the slammed modern sound tho!
Old 01-25-2010, 06:44 AM

Yes, CLA stuff is great, saw him there at WAVES booth, told him so. I was also amazingly disappointed with Digidesign's lack of equipment at the booth. It was the first time there wasn't any new equipment, any demos, or ANYTHING except a bunch of order-takers looking to cash in. Since the head of digi left for the iPhone development team what is left is very dismal. No show at AES and cold show at NAMM. It doesn't really speak well as an industry leader to set such a lame tone. This was by far my biggest disappointment at NAMM. Lots of exciting stuff at NAMM, but nothing from Digidesign. I'm sorry, the Eleven processor is just not earth-shattering after years of Line6 products!
Old 01-25-2010, 07:10 AM

Once again, I applaud Digidesign for making the fiscally responsible decision to skip AES and NAMM this year. Money is tight for everybody in our industry and those shows must cost $100k-$300k each for Digidesign normally. (translation: 2,000-6,000 extra programming hours earned with the savings:)

Hey, that's coding hours enough for to implement Freeze Track fix all bugs. Freeze Track trumps AES or NAMM any old day.

I do feel bad for those whose first year it is in pro audio. I have to admit, as a newbie, it was very exciting and impressive to see Digidesign's huge firepower at AES and NAMM.