Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins

Old 08-29-2020, 12:37 AM

Default Re: Does anyone make an SSL 4K channel strip AAX DSP?

Brainworx (plugin alliance) is making three kinds of ssl channelstrips and the ssl4000 E is sounding quite good and is AAX DSP.
Waves descision to not go aax dsp will make them go out of business.
Look at their special deals...always like 80% discount. You don΄t have such discounts if your business is healthy.
It would be nice if SSL made their native ssl plugins as aax dsp as well.
The AAX DSP format is also the format that is hardest or almost impossible to crack so it should be wise for all plugin developers to go with the aax dsp format as the hdx customers usually have the biggest pockets so to speak.
I just invested in another hdx card and will go exclusively with aax dsp plugins.
Hardest for me so far is to find a great de-esser in aax dsp. The waves De-esser is still the best.
Old 08-29-2020, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firechild View Post
Brainworx (plugin alliance) is making three kinds of ssl channelstrips and the ssl4000 E is sounding quite good and is AAX DSP.
Waves descision to not go aax dsp will make them go out of business.
Look at their special deals...always like 80% discount. You don΄t have such discounts if your business is healthy.

It would be nice if SSL made their native ssl plugins as aax dsp as well.
The AAX DSP format is also the format that is hardest or almost impossible to crack so it should be wise for all plugin developers to go with the aax dsp format as the hdx customers usually have the biggest pockets so to speak.
I just invested in another hdx card and will go exclusively with aax dsp plugins.
Hardest for me so far is to find a great de-esser in aax dsp. The waves De-esser is still the best.
People have been saying that for what? 6 or 7 years now?

Everyone forgets that AAX is only a small portion of the plugin market.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 08-29-2020, 06:32 PM

Regarding Waves agree 100%! They sell their 25-30 yo plugins for $29-$39 but so does Plugin Alliance. I get emails daily with their $39-$49 deals on plugins that are usually MSRP $199-$299 even though NO ONE ever pay full price these days so trust me, Waves aren’t going anywhere.they have just recouped all the costs 20 years ago and every sale of a $29 plugin is pure profit for them and seeing their Hardware the sale of the additional plugin here and there is icing on the cake!

The plugin market is soo damn OVERSATURATED and has gone totally over the top! Who needs 200 compressors and 500 EQ’s, emulation here and emulation there, just makes the actual music making take a back seat as dealing with all the choices take up too much time than having and the prices are getting lower and lower. A developer can’t sell plugins for $99 and up anymore as the minute and hinder the creative process. As soon as any developer relesee a plugin that cost over $50-ish people fall off their chairs. We stopped buying plugins a long time ago (run subs of Slate) and own all UAD-2 catalogue but no more new plugins in our iloks as they are worthless investments, for us having soo much analog high end outboards we dont waste money on the Plugins gin market no more. Done with that and happy about it. We buy a lot more analog pieces and that is a much better investment.

I can’t see any developer having a plugin cost over $50 sell many copies at all anomore. People know that a sale or ”pre-release pricing comes along directly after they paid the full MSRP so the users dont fall for that twice. Waves and a few others started that downward spiral and they will never get more for the plugins again ever. Great for the userbase.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 08-30-2020, 03:08 AM

Waves made a decision that AAX-DSP was not profitable in comparison to developing and supporting their native counterparts. They saw the future and the growth in power of native processors and the corresponding decline of expensive bespoke DSP systems.

I think some might be surprised how large the audio plugins market is globally. Dirk from Plugin Alliance mentioned on FaceBook that vouchers in the order of millions had just been emailed for a particular month. Even if the take up is just say 100,000 then the revenue from an average sale price of $30 then the revenue is $3 million. There's plenty of money from selling audio plugins, especially those priced $30-60. The huge number of products and vendors and low prices are not a sign of decline but conversely the sign of high demand and a thriving market.

UAD are great products but a bad investment if you ever want to sell. Not only are they highly priced but the only way to sell them is to sell the whole account. Personally, I haven't sold any plugins for years as I generally keep them for compatibility with old Sessions and such but I'd feel a bit aggrieved at the inability to sell off an expensive UAD plugin.

Stephen

https://www.waves.com/r/djgsi6
Old 08-30-2020, 03:48 AM

Market is one thing and need is another. Chris made a good point in how many EQ and compressors you really need? Reverbs and instruments are another thing, but selling same stuff over and over again has got tired years ago.

Waves free for some time already, but every now and then I challenge myself like "today I'm gonna mix with only Sonnox plugins" or something like that. Forces me to use my ears instead of presets.
Old 09-15-2020, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Bond View Post
Waves made a decision that AAX-DSP was not profitable in comparison to developing and supporting their native counterparts. They saw the future and the growth in power of native processors and the corresponding decline of expensive bespoke DSP systems.

I think some might be surprised how large the audio plugins market is globally. Dirk from Plugin Alliance mentioned on FaceBook that vouchers in the order of millions had just been emailed for a particular month. Even if the take up is just say 100,000 then the revenue from an average sale price of $30 then the revenue is $3 million. There's plenty of money from selling audio plugins, especially those priced $30-60. The huge number of products and vendors and low prices are not a sign of decline but conversely the sign of high demand and a thriving market.

UAD are great products but a bad investment if you ever want to sell. Not only are they highly priced but the only way to sell them is to sell the whole account. Personally, I haven't sold any plugins for years as I generally keep them for compatibility with old Sessions and such but I'd feel a bit aggrieved at the inability to sell off an expensive UAD plugin.

Stephen
If Plugin Alliance and the like just dropped their plugins to something like $30-50, people will be speculating that they suddenly aren't as good. They'd be saying things like they must be desperate and they are trying hard to compete and that the quality can't be that great because it's only $30.

Like it or not people usually associate price with quality. It's not necessarily true, but its just how society has been programming us over the last 50 or so years. It's so ingrained in our culture it's become subconscious. We don't have to think about it, we'd just get the sense that something's a bit off.

So to combat all this they put their stuff on constant sales. That way, they get to keep their higher plugin cost, reflecting the amount of time, energy and quality that has gone into making it, but still be able to sell it to us quite cheaply and still profit because of the sheer number of users there are now as opposed to 10 years ago.

It's actually quite a smart way to do it. They downside is they are now getting the "constant sale" complaints, but that's still better than the alternative of not selling as much plugins because everybody think the company has gone to $#ithouse due to the cheaper pricing.