Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 02-08-2019, 11:44 AM

Default Windows and post production

Hi all

How many of you are currently using Windows and Pro Tools Ultimate / HDX for post production? I'd like to hear some experiences, good and bad. Does AJA Kona video hardware work fine? What would be different / better / worse than using a mac pro?

There are of course different scenarios - sound editing, pre-mixing, final mixing - what are your experiences with Windows and PT 2018?

Always had Macs only, but in the future who knows...
Thanks! Tuomas
Old 03-19-2019, 09:21 AM

Default Re: Windows and post production

Hi Tuomas,

I‘m on Win10 (older build) and 2018.7 or so, Ultimate. I use desktop video and in recent PT versions all is fine. Not having to watch out (too much) for OS and PT incompatibilities is quite nice I guess (no Mojave vs this vs that etc), it seems more restricting with OSX.
My system is based on an old 3rd gen i7 and is still chugging along, though I am planning an update for more performance.
Be aware though, some software doesn‘t exist for Win (yet), Spanner and conformalizer being two of them. There are alternatives.

The studios I freelance at are mac based and transferring sessions etc. has always been fine, I use MacDrive on my system for transfer drives etc.

What is important is getting good DPC latency, which is mainly based on mainboards, chipsets and components, drivers.
I did have my share of weird sync bugs and stuff, which migt have been PT bugs, right now it is pretty snug but I could use more juice.
Old 03-26-2019, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schottlandru View Post
Be aware though, some software doesn‘t exist for Win (yet), Spanner
Just wondering what alternative you have found for Spanner?

Yep this is the only downside that I'm feeling working on a PC, also no EdiPrompt if you require that.

I'm using AJA, PT 12.8, all working smoothly and rock solidly, low latency no DPC issues.... the PC is a Scan made one, i9 18 cores, boy it flys

Probably biggest pet peeve is automatic windows updates
Old 03-26-2019, 05:56 AM

I can't live without the Spanner and SoundMiner Pro which is Mac only.

Also not sure whether there is a better alternative for the frame rate conversion rather than Time Factory 2 - Mac only.

More or less there are alternatives for Serato Pitch'n Time but for some tasks its still the best tool - Mac only.

Sound Designer
/ mixer
www.goorevich.com

PT HD⎪N v2023.12 Ultimate ● macOS Ventura 13.6.3
MacPro 7.1 (2019) 3.2GHz Intel Xeon W 16-Core ● 96 GB RAM
MTRX Studio + DADman 5.7.0.1 + MOM ● Sync HD ● AJA Kona LHi referenced by AJA GEN10 ● D-Command ES24
Old 03-29-2019, 02:52 PM

Yes there are things we are missing out on, then again there have always been cool Win tools and old VSTs that I still have around for stuff (non-mac).
Don‘t make this another OS war folks, please, we have loads of these.

As for alternatives:
Spanner -> Anymix Pro. I had one mix where this actually beat the Spanner on the system as I needed coninuos rotation. Spanner only goes round once I think (at least the older versions), Anymix let me rotate round the theatre in circles with one continuous turn of the knob. No iPad app though

Soundminer -> Soundminer HD or Basehead for example

TimeFactory II -> I thought I needed this one and even set up a virtual machine to see if it would work. Then I did a shootout between differen frame rate conversion tools. For dialogue, I was actually disappointed by TF2 and am doing a custom mix of Pitch‘n‘Time pro (there is a Win version) and others depending on stems/material. I just ended up hearing the artifacts on dialogue with TF2, even the Dirac/ZTX voice algorithm.

Serator PnT Pro -> see above, Windows version available

Windows updates -> you can disable the service and it is fine. My system has only updated once or twice, and I started that manually
Old 03-30-2019, 11:48 AM

My understanding is that film post is mostly mac while broadcast post mostly uses windows. The latter is a larger user base.
Old 03-31-2019, 09:08 PM

I've been mixing on a Mac since ProTools 3?
But, I recently built a Gaming PC for my daughter at home. Then, of coarse.... I had to build one for myself. For, work... You know

While Windows 10 is pretty usable and very stable. It's not as well designed and easy to use as a MAC. But, the speed is awesome and the price makes me think maybe for the real studio. Kind of depends on what apple does going forward. They seem content with making phones instead of Pro Grade Desktops.
Old 04-02-2019, 11:14 PM

Ok thanks all, good points! Seems that Dolby Atmos production suite is currently mac only. That is one thing to consider.

Because we run multiple workstations, it would probably not make sense to install one windows machine and confuse people with different OS, key commands etc.

At the moment we’re happy with our selection of older macs
Tuomas
Old 04-03-2019, 10:10 AM

To me, Windows 10 is far more like Mac system 9 that the current mac system is.