Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Win)

Old 02-14-2019, 12:57 PM

Default Diret Monitor - M-Audio Ultra

I’m having a problem with Direct Monitoring on an M-Audio Fast Track Ultra USB. The two-input Fast Track has a direct Monitor button right on it. Mine is the 6 input Ultra without the button. It looks like Direct Monitoring is supposed to be controlled by Cubase. In Cubase LE 8’s Devices/Device Setup/M-Audio page there’s a Direct Monitor check-box. If it’s checked, there’s no difference when I click on the tracks monitor button. If it’s un-checked, the sound changes a little when I click the Monitor button, so I know I’m hearing it off the track, but I can still hear the original signal. I’ve used both front and rear channel inputs. When I’m in Cubase, I can hear the guitar whether I’ve selected a track or not. When I un-click the Monitor button on the Audio channel, I shouldn't hear anything at all. I have a Fast Track installation on an XP machine I used to use that shows the Panel Version is 1.0.0.6, which looks like the one in the manual and has the Direct Monitor option on a Settings tab. The panel that came with the final update, 6.1.10 on this Win7 machine is slicker looking and laid out differently but is missing this setting. It doesn’t seem like a feature they’d get rid of.
I’ve tried an earlier version of software with the same results.
Old 02-14-2019, 03:52 PM

Default Re: Diret Monitor - M-Audio Ultra

AFAIK, the only hardware that allows for direct monitor in Pro Tools would be anything with a MIX knob on the hardware(to blend between playback and incoming audio). Personally, I am not a fan of that and much prefer to use a computer with enough horsepower to track at a low buffer setting. I always use 64, but many are comfortable enough with 128. Monitoring from the session makes for much easier punch-ins

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-18-2019, 11:09 AM

Default Re: Diret Monitor - M-Audio Ultra

Well, Dave, thanks for the response. I'm not sure how your answer applies to my question. I'm using Cubase, not Pro Tools. The only reason I'm in this forum is because Avid bought M-Audio. I've had mine longer than that.
I'm concerned that the Fast Track Ultra may not be controlled externally by the DAW, in this case, Cubase. Also, that the FTU control panel isn't the one in the manual and doesn't have the Direct Monitor check-box. I'm wondering if there's a way to install that Control Panel.