Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2024, 11:31 PM

Default Playback engine swap without restarting PT

Is there any chance of getting this feature in the future? I use an audio interface and a digital mixer, and use my digital mixer when I am tracking, but don't want to spool up the whole thing just when I am doing the mixing part later, and this always leads to having to restart PT. With bigger projects, this is a inconvenience.
Old 03-08-2024, 03:04 AM

Default Re: Playback engine swap without restarting PT

That would likely be a complex disruptive mess to implement for a corner case use. So I'll go with a big nope on that.
Old 03-08-2024, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omidmash View Post
Is there any chance of getting this feature in the future? I use an audio interface and a digital mixer, and use my digital mixer when I am tracking, but don't want to spool up the whole thing just when I am doing the mixing part later, and this always leads to having to restart PT. With bigger projects, this is a inconvenience.
No for your basic question.
When the audio engine changes, the I/O changes (and in some cases, like switching to HDX, the mixer changes.) Can't have that change while Pro Tools is open and have all those settings change.

For your use scenario, you've told us nothing about what system or what PT version you are running. If on a Mac, with the right versions of Pro Tools, you can use 2 audio interfaces simultaneously by assigning one to be the "aux" interface (most likely your tracking interface) and leave your digital mixer as your main playback engine.
Old 03-08-2024, 01:16 PM

There's no fundamental reason I can see why this couldn't happen - other DAWs allow a change of audio device (including I/O assignments) without shutting down, but PT does not. I suspect, under the hood, it may be a difficult change.

Dominic
Old 03-08-2024, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominicperry View Post
There's no fundamental reason I can see why this couldn't happen - other DAWs allow a change of audio device (including I/O assignments) without shutting down, but PT does not. I suspect, under the hood, it may be a difficult change.

Dominic
Other DAWs don't have hardware DSP mixer integration (well, one incomplete one does) where the paradigm completely shifts. From the beginning of the DAW to today.
Old 03-08-2024, 03:04 PM

Quote:

Dominic
They could, technically, but as you've suggested it would require some large changes which they've not deemed necessary. Restarting PT has been an acceptable step for most. PT loads quickly enough that it doesn't bother me.
Old 03-08-2024, 11:00 PM

Quote:
There is no fundamental reason I can see why Scarlett Johansson is not going to date me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯