Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-31-2010, 11:41 PM

Default Re: "CPU overload"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorcerer27 View Post
I'm interested in purchasing Pro Tools 9 but this work-around has me concerned! I'm using both bluetooth wireless devices (keyboard and magic mouse) that came with my 2010 27" iMac i5 Quad Core machine. I'd like to know if Avid is looking into this matter further so it will no longer be a necessary for us to disable blue tooth if we experience this error? Thanks.
I'm very interested in this also, as I'm considering buying an i5 imac, which comes with a wireless keyboard and mouse. Is this going to cause me problems with Pro Tools?
Old 01-02-2011, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
Are you possibly using the power supply with the Mbox 2 Pro? If so, disconnect it, as you don't need it - the Mbox 2 Pro will get power via Firewire.

(That's the only other suggestion I can see that you didn't cover already, per the info in your post.)

Hi,
yes, I tried that too. With Pro Tools 8 I could easily work with the power supply on, airport on, 2 processors. Tomorrow or Tuesday I will try the Macbook pro with Duet and then with the Avid Mbox pro. Will let you know if something changes. Meanwhile I hope I'll get the email support reply from one of you guys with maybe new ideas. Thanks, Filippo
Old 01-02-2011, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian Dragon View Post
Since you are using a Macbook Pro, you probably have a Core2Duo processor (possibly an i5 or i7) These all have two processor cores. Due to the current RTAS engine, it is highly recommended (almost required) to set the number of processors in the playback engine to one less than the number of processor cores that you have. In this case, you must set it to one processor core instead of two. I know...I know...it sounds counter-intuitive. The fact is that you are leaving one processor core to handle the non-realtime processing in the RTAS engine as well as other system operation. If you select two processor cores, all the resources are dedicated to realtime RTAS processing but not leaving anything for the other processes. This worked for me and eliminated the error message that you are experiencing. I hope it works for you too. Also you must record to a physically separate hard drive than the system drive. This has been a requirement since early Protools version and has not changed.

Hi Dragon, thanks for replying. Yes I know the processors trick ( I use 5 on my Macpro) and I did try, sorry for not mentioning (Also tried without the Mbox 2 pro PSupply as Digi suggested). Strangely, no success.
I have to say though, that with PT 8 and the exact same setup I could easily work with 2 processors
Also, as you see in my setup in the original post, I am always using a separate drive, Lacie d2 which has always been reliable to me.
I am positive that something small somewhere happened in the Mac system or in PT9 this time and it will go either with a new or a welcome 9.1...What you think ?
Old 01-02-2011, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorcerer27 View Post
I'm interested in purchasing Pro Tools 9 but this work-around has me concerned! I'm using both bluetooth wireless devices (keyboard and magic mouse) that came with my 2010 27" iMac i5 Quad Core machine. I'd like to know if Avid is looking into this matter further so it will no longer be a necessary for us to disable blue tooth if we experience this error? Thanks.
Bluetooth has been a notorious cause for issues for PT for a long time, a wired usb keyboard is not expensive and solves the problem. Yes I know Apple supplies the keyboard and it is cool and you demand Avid fixes it. They have, get a USB keyboard, what the computer comes with does not HAVE to work with the software you wish to use.
Old 01-02-2011, 01:17 PM

"what the computer comes with does not HAVE to work with the software you wish to use"

Actually, yes it [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep]ing does.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notrude55 View Post
what the computer comes with does not HAVE to work with the software you wish to use.
And before you know it, people will apologize for Avid saying, having too much ram isn't necessary, internet doesn't have to work, no other usb devices should be plugged in... whatever a fix could be. All excuses for #@*$'ed up programing. Sorry.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:05 AM

Quote:
what the computer comes with does not HAVE to work with the software you wish to use.
Really?
Old 01-04-2011, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Bluetooth has been a notorious cause for issues for PT for a long time, a wired usb keyboard is not expensive and solves the problem. Yes I know Apple supplies the keyboard and it is cool and you demand Avid fixes it. They have, get a USB keyboard, what the computer comes with does not HAVE to work with the software you wish to use.
Honestly, telling users to switch off functions they might need for something else is nowhere near a fix, thats just a workaround that should be used IF encountering the problem UNTIL the software is *fixed* and won't produce that problem any more.
And Bluetooth is at least not the only culprit, I encounter the very same problem and I never had Bluetooth switched on.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:57 AM

Exclamation Re: "CPU overload"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post

" Originally Posted by filobus
Hi Gorilla and everyone. My last two days have been entirely dedicated to the 6085 and 6101 CPU issues with PT 9. I just sent a support email to the Avid guys and I hope they'll reply soon.
I haven't solved yet, but here's the text. Good luck to everyone with this. Hopefully they'll find a way and a PT 9.1 update will solve this.

Dear Avid support guys,

I am experiencing a non stop -6085 error in PT 9 as I attempt to play a sequence.
Here's what I tried :

- Checked playback engine. Tried to change settings.

-Checked CPU system and UAD dsp usage. Both very low. tried with a clean sequence, with very few plugins. (find attached pics)

- Tried to change the firewire chain. (mac-mbox3pro-hd and mac-hd-mbox2pro)

- Tried mac without the mbox2 pro and, although the error took a bit longer to show up, it did (I mainly got -6101's without the mbox2 pro).

- Tried all the Avid troubleshooting procedures and system optimizations, and
read many threads on both Duc.avid and gearslutz.

-Checked all plugins versions, upgraded and cleaned up moving unused ones away

-Uninstalled pro Tools 9 8 to 9 crossgrade and reinstalled PT 9 full installer.

-reinstalled the mbox 2 pro driver for PT9

-Tried opening other sessions, even one without plugins.

-Tried removing the UAD 2 solo laptop card

- Tried changing Hard Drive, copied some sessions onto another firewire 400 Lacie

- Tried replacing cables.

No success whatsoever. I keep on getting -6085. Sometimes just quitting Pro Tools and restarting solves only for a few minutes, then the -6085 shows up again.
Also resetting PRAM helped for a few minutes. But then again -6085 prevents playback.
Believe me I tried everything Avid and other users suggest and I am not new to these issues, I am long time Mac and Pro Tools user on both Mbox2pro and HD.
Please help soon

Thanks a lot

My system experiencing the problem:

Macbook Pro 15" 2.16, 2 gb ram
Mbox 2 pro
HD firewire Lacie d2 500 GB connected via firewire 400 port

PT 9
UAD 2 solo laptop"

Digi replied:

Are you possibly using the power supply with the Mbox 2 Pro? If so, disconnect it, as you don't need it - the Mbox 2 Pro will get power via Firewire.

(That's the only other suggestion I can see that you didn't cover already, per the info in your post.)

I never solved the issue on the Mbox2 pro-Mbox 3 pro with Macbook pro.
Gave up and had to stop working.

I am now in my other studio with Mac Pro Quad. Mbox 3 pro.
same problem,slightly better at times.
Did all the above troubleshooting as listed in the Avid page for DAE errors.

Current setup:
PT 9.0.1 on 10.6.5.
Firewire cable off the Macpro 800 port to 400 port of Mboxpro, from Mbox
pro to Lacie 400 port. (tried also other firewire configurations).
Playback engine 512, 5 processors, is the only solution that allows working for 10-12 minutes. then again 6085. Toggling the clock Internal/Spdif also works to reset the error for a few minutes, then again 6085.

Please people with external firewire 800/400, Mbox 3 pro, Macpro Quad.
If you experienced and solved -6085´s, advise on this thread ! There are many people in trouble here.

Avid, thanks a lot for reading this, please rescue us from the darkness. PT 9.0.2 soon with the 6085 fix, or give us more reliable solution for the problem.
No more Bluetooth, Airport, or recording on External hard drive suggestions please.

Thanks to everybody

F

rthanks a lot for your patience
Old 01-10-2011, 08:48 AM

Do you have a lot of peripherals ie hard drives connected to your firewire bus. I have found that whenever I have too many things connected I start to get errors. Its best to shut down your mac not restart to clear out your ram. Do not run any other apps and launch pro tools.
Make sure you have no sleep settings on your mac. I If you have your mac set to sleep in the system prefs / energy saver you will get these errors. Always have it set to never when running PT. You most likely no this but it's very important.
I have also been getting more playback errors with PT 9 and my new Mbox pro but my session is pushing its limits with 48 tracks at 88.2 with tons of plugins. If you only have one track and its not recording I would have to say it's more than likely something with your setup not pro tools.