How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2011, 04:54 AM

Default Re: Disappointed with PT 9

Funny story , I have the same to tell.
I sold my HD2 rig some time ago due toi the fact that it never run stable.

After they released PT I hoped that its now stable but its still unreliable here.
(see my posts)

How to get Protools 9.0.1 100% stable running ?
Old 01-15-2011, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogcode View Post
running Mac Pro and 9 here............SOLID......

Dog
Yep. Never been so stable for me.
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!
Old 01-15-2011, 05:47 AM

>danander11
Ure on mac ?

I download PT now for osx and test it how stable it is running on my macbook pro
Old 01-15-2011, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danander11 View Post
Yep. Never been so stable for me.
Same.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 01-15-2011, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daslicht View Post
>danander11
Ure on mac ?

I download PT now for osx and test it how stable it is running on my macbook pro
Yep. A 2.1 8 core Mac Pro @ 3.0ghz 16gb ram.

I still have my Win box, but haven't fired it up except to burn some CD's.. I'm not gonna spout against Windows or anything, but I have a system that is so stable now I just gush over it.. even my wife is happy.. (and that's saying something).

There are things about Mac that I'm not too fond of.. (I like control), but this system is just for PT., and for that, perfect.

Hobo Shave!
Old 01-15-2011, 07:05 AM

Quote:
>danander11
Ure on mac ?

Just to add to that.. I used 9.0 on my win7 64 bit box and didn't have problems with it there either.. It ran very well for what little bit I used it there. However, I did have problems with the CPU or mainboard.. haven't found out which., so I gave up. And in fairness, that may have caused some of my issues with v8..

There are plenty of folks have a good run on either system.. I just got lucky with Mac.

Hobo Shave!
Old 01-15-2011, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Funny story , I have the same to tell.
I sold my HD2 rig some time ago due toi the fact that it never run stable.

After they released PT I hoped that its now stable but its still unreliable here.
(see my posts)

How to get Protools 9.0.1 100% stable running ?
Yeah, that is funny because I am nothing but stable on PT 9.0.1. You get PT 9 stable by following the i7 and multi-core threads.

I think it's good to note that some here use stability and performance synonymously with Pro Tools, not saying that's the case here. I've only had minor PT/PC problems over the years that were all user based. I either changed RAM settings, turned something on or off, or bought the proper computer part. My continued issue is VI performance. But I'm learning to let that go. Reaper is becoming a favorite VI wise. No PT9 update will make it run as good as Reaper for what I need out of VI's.

Also, I'm learning that some RTAS plugins just suck in PT, like NI plugins. Maybe some of the stability issues can be placed on the plugin (or hardware) company. To generalize about PT being so bad that it is not usable and as a result has to be sold, or buy a Mac, is 100% user based. There are other PC stories that make that a completely false statement.
Old 01-15-2011, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spenner View Post
Also, I'm learning that some RTAS plugins just suck in PT, like NI plugins. Maybe some of the stability issues can be placed on the plugin (or hardware) company.
This is where I'm in ageeance.
Pro Tools for me is for almost entirely audio handling.
Thanks to the enormous help of people like Shane and Tom over the years, I've learned about wiring DAWs like Reaper into PT to take care of VI handling issues etc, wilst still being able to enjoy both programs.

I understand Dey's frustrations - it dates back to 12-18 months ago where tempers were bouncing off the walls around here.
Have you tried what I do every time Dey? - reformat, reinstall everything - so that your DAW is fresh?
"Well, of course, their requests for subsidies was not Paraguayan in and of it is as it were the United States government would never have if the president, our president, had not and as far as I know thats the way it will always be. Is that clear?"- Chevy Chase, Spies Like Us.
Old 01-15-2011, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogcode View Post
running Mac Pro and 9 here............SOLID......
....and this would be due to the fact that, as has been the case for forever, MACs have far less hardware combinations to deal with when writing software for them as compared with the zillions of combinations available for Windows machines....?
"Well, of course, their requests for subsidies was not Paraguayan in and of it is as it were the United States government would never have if the president, our president, had not and as far as I know thats the way it will always be. Is that clear?"- Chevy Chase, Spies Like Us.
Old 01-15-2011, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoRugMan View Post
....and this would be due to the fact that, as has been the case for forever, MACs have far less hardware combinations to deal with when writing software for them as compared with the zillions of combinations available for Windows machines....?
Right. Also, any 13 year old geek can write a program or virus for PC so yah, they require special attention. Apple has done a great job at limiting issues by building everything within, but you pay for it on the front end. The biggest issue with Mac and PC is lack of understanding that with a PC you gotta do a little more research on what will work together then build it yourself, and you gotta find the proper drivers. Once you understand that there really is no difference or big deal. Perhaps I've been really fortunate with the gear and plugs I buy because I have never had any driver issues that made me wanna work on a Mac. No one can tell me my Macbook and iMac are more stable than the PC's I built for anything. I use them both everyday with no problems.