Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2015, 09:04 PM

Default PT12 sluggish and unresponsive on Windows

Got it all installed on a brand new win 7 load and upon running it takes 2-3 minutes to load to the file open screen, click on a protools session to open (small one 12 tracks) and maybe 3-5 minutes later I will finally get a screen of tracks. Press play and I get an error message that I am out of CPU and to reduce the plug ins, there are none and the load meter shows NO cpu load, no memory load and a tiny amount of disk load.

There are no floppy drives installed or enabled, there are no usb drives or externat drives of any sort plugged in and there is no cd in the drive. I scanned the threads and found that suggestion. The system acts just as everyone else describes their system before removing the cd in the drive or usb stick. If you click on any menu item the top bar immeadiately changes to (not responding) next to the window title and you lose control of the window for a minute or two and then it comes back.

This is repeatable and never changes. I loaded up a couple other drives with fresh loads of Win8.1 and win10 preview build 10074, Same results so I know it's either hardware related or PT12 related and likely not an OS issue.

I welcome any ideas.

FYI: versions 10 and 11 work fine and fast.

Work
Twin S6L's
PM-10
Profile, D-Show
3 Midas Heritage's and 5 M32's
Several other analog and digital consoles
d&b J Systems
L'Acoustics V-Dosc systems

Home: Compaq Z800
Dual XEON hexes
48G Ram
Windows 10
Midas M32 and XL48
Genelec 8050's with Genny sub
Genelec 8030's
JBL L96 & LSR32
Old 05-19-2015, 10:57 PM

I can't offer a solution, only empathy. I spent a couple of weeks doing a back and forth with an Avid tech (who was very patient and intelligent, to be fair) using my sparkly new Support Option to troubleshoot the exact same issue(s).

At which point I had requested a refund to find out that since I purchased it prior to the end of last year (to beat the ticking clock; even though I hadn't activated the asset to an iLok until 12 dropped into my account), a refund could not be authorized. Add that to the genius strategy of not being able to transfer a subscription license and I've got a $199 bad taste in my mouth.

Peachy. Where's that form on the Better Business Bureau site again?
Old 05-20-2015, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveGam View Post
Got it all installed on a brand new win 7 load and upon running it takes 2-3 minutes to load to the file open screen, click on a protools session to open (small one 12 tracks) and maybe 3-5 minutes later I will finally get a screen of tracks. Press play and I get an error message that I am out of CPU and to reduce the plug ins, there are none and the load meter shows NO cpu load, no memory load and a tiny amount of disk load.

There are no floppy drives installed or enabled, there are no usb drives or externat drives of any sort plugged in and there is no cd in the drive. I scanned the threads and found that suggestion. The system acts just as everyone else describes their system before removing the cd in the drive or usb stick. If you click on any menu item the top bar immeadiately changes to (not responding) next to the window title and you lose control of the window for a minute or two and then it comes back.

This is repeatable and never changes. I loaded up a couple other drives with fresh loads of Win8.1 and win10 preview build 10074, Same results so I know it's either hardware related or PT12 related and likely not an OS issue.

I welcome any ideas.

FYI: versions 10 and 11 work fine and fast.
Post a complete Sandra report please. Forgoing the blue badge I have, I've been using Pro tools 12 HD on paying gigs with over 50 tracks, vi's included. Have you done all the windows and computer optimization that is required here? http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/T...oting/en349411

Wave-T.com
Old 05-20-2015, 05:30 AM

Make sure your graphics driver is up to date.

If this is a freshly built machine, make sure your bios is the latest version.
Old 05-20-2015, 11:09 PM

i've seen this exact problem - it's a conflict with your audio driver.
Old 05-21-2015, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveGam View Post
Got it all installed on a brand new win 7 load and upon running it takes 2-3 minutes to load to the file open screen, click on a protools session to open (small one 12 tracks) and maybe 3-5 minutes later I will finally get a screen of tracks. Press play and I get an error message that I am out of CPU and to reduce the plug ins, there are none and the load meter shows NO cpu load, no memory load and a tiny amount of disk load...
Please follow the steps in this KB article.

If that doesn't help, try setting PT to run in Compatibility mode:
  1. Right click the Pro Tools 12 app
  2. Choose Properties
  3. Select the Compatibility tab
  4. Select "Run this program in Compatibility mode for" and set the drop-down to your version of Windows
  5. Select Apply then click OK
If none of that helps it would be best to call in to troubleshoot using the System ID from your Avid account:
http://www.avid.com/Support/Contact/audio-support > Pro Tools...
Old 05-21-2015, 12:20 AM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsoncox View Post
I can't offer a solution, only empathy. I spent a couple of weeks doing a back and forth with an Avid tech (who was very patient and intelligent, to be fair) using my sparkly new Support Option to troubleshoot the exact same issue(s).

At which point I had requested a refund to find out that since I purchased it prior to the end of last year (to beat the ticking clock; even though I hadn't activated the asset to an iLok until 12 dropped into my account), a refund could not be authorized. Add that to the genius strategy of not being able to transfer a subscription license and I've got a $199 bad taste in my mouth.

Peachy. Where's that form on the Better Business Bureau site again?
I checked your case, and the tech referred you back to Guitar Center (since that's where you bought the upgrade) but also gave some additional troubleshooting steps and suggested that you call Avid Support to troubleshoot. Did you ever call in to get assistance?
Old 05-21-2015, 04:20 AM

Default Had the same issue

Jeffro's KB article fixed it for me. The command prompt entry specifically was the fix. The problem occurred when I uninstalled a demo of BFD3.
Old 05-21-2015, 06:33 AM

Every time I install PT12 on Windows (3 times now) I get this same problem at first

Everything takes forever, PT hangs constantly, and everything is full of errors

Every time, the problem was because PT had selected the motherboard Realtek audio device, or because my audio interface buffer size was incompatible with PT.

Start by setting your interface buffer size (in the interface settings, not in PT) to 1024 samples. Then open PT, do not open or create a session, go straight to options -> playback engine and ensure your interface is selected there. Then close PT down and restart it, and confirm that these settings are still selected when you open it.

If you're still seeing your interface and a 1024 buffer then you should be good to go. You will probably want to reduce your buffer from here, to do so *close down PT first* then open interface settings, adjust buffer, then re-open PT and confirm the change in options -> playback engine.

Again... every time I have installed PT 12 I've seen these problems, and they were down to these two things every time.
Old 05-21-2015, 07:51 AM

The new "Windows Audio Device" "Playback Engine" in PT 12 may be causing your problems. Since PT cannot set its sample rate, you either need to set it to whatever was used the last time PT ran, or create a new session. Either way you have to set the rate (and bit depth) appropriately via Window's "Playback" "Recording" and "devices" advanced options. Also, you need to do this before starting PT and with all of your other audio devices ("interfaces") off or disconnected.

I feel your pain - good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statick777 View Post
Every time I install PT12 on Windows (3 times now) I get this same problem at first

Everything takes forever, PT hangs constantly, and everything is full of errors

Every time, the problem was because PT had selected the motherboard Realtek audio device, or because my audio interface buffer size was incompatible with PT.

Start by setting your interface buffer size (in the interface settings, not in PT) to 1024 samples. Then open PT, do not open or create a session, go straight to options -> playback engine and ensure your interface is selected there. Then close PT down and restart it, and confirm that these settings are still selected when you open it.

If you're still seeing your interface and a 1024 buffer then you should be good to go. You will probably want to reduce your buffer from here, to do so *close down PT first* then open interface settings, adjust buffer, then re-open PT and confirm the change in options -> playback engine.

Again... every time I have installed PT 12 I've seen these problems, and they were down to these two things every time.