How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2014, 11:34 PM

Default MIDI patch changing from DAW

hi all,
we just recently bought a 11R, and started using it with a behringer footcontroller.. but i was wondering if its possible to use MIDI triggering from my DAW like say (PresonusStudioOnes) to change various rigs within ElevenRack..??

please help me out ... its easier for my guitarist to play this way, he can concentrate on playing the keyboard on stage...
\
thanks much!!
Old 01-19-2014, 11:54 PM

Default Re: MIDI patch changing from DAW

ok , i kinda connected the midi cables and im able to see changes on 11r for some of the midi controls via my DAW ... the 11r manual lists some CC codes for patches.. they all seem to work fine, the mods..dist.. reverb... but im not able to figure out whats the CC for changing Rigs... the number '32' in the manual for Rigs dont seem to work..

any help is much appreciated.. thanks a ton..
Old 01-20-2014, 02:07 AM

Worrying about this from a DAW might be a waste of time since Avid is going to be releasing the stand alone Eleven Rack editor that will work with any DAW in a few weeks. But if you want to automate things from the DAW the stand alone editor still won't do that, so yes you'll need what you are doing.

The Eleven Rack has a handy table of MIDI CC commands under the user options menu.

In general make sure you are looking at the latest Eleven Rack user guide or that user options guide. I think a few MIDI things did change over time (and obviously new amp models were added in the expansion pack, and they all have somewhat different CC values.).

And from the User Guide..

User/Factory Bank Change (Precedes Program Change)
32 followed by 1 for Factory Rigs or 0 for user rigs.

Then you do the Program Change to select the rig # within that bank you have selected.

This has been discussed several times on DUC before, e.g. http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=300267

And all that does work just that simply.

If you cannot get this work work, post the exact MIDI sequence you are trying here.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 01-20-2014 at 10:01 AM.
Old 01-20-2014, 11:53 AM

Darryl
-

Thank you for all the assistance you provide on this forum! I know you don't suffer fools so I am hesitant to ask this question.

Is controlling the 11R in stand alone mode ONLY a matter of sending and receiving MIDI control codes? It must be more or someone would have written a stand alone editor by now.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:07 PM

There are a few things going on, yes all the direct control of the Eleven Rack is just MIDI over USB. You can write programs to just spit out MIDI to control the ER (all those commands are documented and work over USB just like over the MIDI port on the back of the Eleven Rack). And you can easily sniff the USB connection to debug what is going on. The more complex question is the undocumented saving to/from a rig setting and the file formats of a rig setting on disk. None of which would be hard to work out if you wanted to. And folks gave tried and done this to some extent. The really hard implementation part of a GUI editor is none of that, it is building a rich GUI with all those pretty effects and amp images and getting the overall usability close to how good Avid does it already, and now they have a stand alone editor coming I expect it to be as good or better as before.

Like many other users here I am happy to try to help people, and many other folks here know an awful lot more than me. And most of us are happy to help complete beginners, and "silly" questions are fine as well. But I do have low tolerance for folks who do not want to help themselves, won't do basic debugging steps, won't ever open a manual or blame everybody else for problems they are are probably causing. Rant over
Old 01-20-2014, 05:13 PM

Well said. Thanks much.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:16 PM

Great question.

I made this video three years ago to show that very feature. No foot switch, straight performance in one take. Fun.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:25 AM

Fun video.

I use Live to send patch changes to the guitar rig in some larger live shows. 11R is channel 1 and Pod HD 500 Pro is channel 2.

The best part of 11R is it handles MIDI over USB, the HD Pro does not. I have no idea why Line 6 didn't include that. Avid definitely knew what they were doing when they built 11R.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:08 PM

Hi all,
i tried everything,... even jamshire's video... im able to figure everything out, but not able to change program (rig patch/ patch a1, a2, etc..) using the cc#32... can canyone help me with that??!! im trying to use presonus studioOne
over MIDI....
Old 01-23-2014, 10:34 PM

As I said before.

"If you cannot get this work work, post the exact MIDI sequence you are trying here."

So what is the entire sequence of MIDI commands you are sending?