Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2018, 11:49 AM

Default Re: 2018.12 No new features?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becharax View Post
At least it's now compatible with High Sierra latest version ...
2018.7 has been working with High Sierra for quite a while. Avid's blessing doesn't add anything of substantive value, unless users are reporting fewer bugs with 2018.12, but I've not sensed that.
Old 12-14-2018, 11:56 AM

Yeah Considering All new Apple computers are Mojave now I really hope that Avid approves that very soon. When people are buying a new Mac they ask here and almost everyone says don’t buy a new Mac as Mojave and PT isn’t approved yet.

Even though we have gone Mojave on two Trashcans of four I haven’t seen any issues yet besides the usual small crap with Melodyne jumping ahead a few bars when we use multiple audio tracks and have PT up on both Raven MTi2’s but closing mix window fixes that for now.

And disabling HT makes everything very swift and alot smoother than Sierra. Yes we skipped High Sierra as people had too much reports than just Sierra.

Soooo Avid Avid Avid - Mojave Support Early January Pretty P L E A S E

PS / Eric Lambert : I totally agree with the cost studios with multiple licenses have to bare and we have 3 PT HD here, not that many as we don’t run more than one or two rooms at one time however The one I use at home in my setup for writing is never used as I produce with Live10 for the stability and features of Midi so until we are to mix that third license is basically never used, just sists there costing €480 a yesr which is equal to a 500 series outboard unit extra hehe

When done with ideas we go in to our SSL4056G+ Studio room and move everything onto PT2018 Ultimate so again I feel your thoughts and would L O V E to see that studios with more than one license would only pay for one support plan and like 200-ish a year for the dot releases and updates. That way studios can choose to have Avid tech support and pay for that by choice and guys who use HD as a hobby and dont make their living off music but still want surround capabilities and the other HD features would pay half and not choose to pay extra for the support.

We have invested a few nice houses worth into building our studios out of a new built 4 room guesthouse on my property and have the best gear available but as we don’t use it as a commercial facility paying €1500 a year for something we don’t ever use aka Support Plan does feel a bit waste of money when we could use that to do more non profit work with the youngones here which would be a really good thing. We do as much as we can to help at risk kids with lots of talent and that makes us feel worthy of having what we have so again if we paid €600 for those 3 licenses to get updates and the larger release yearly we would do that even with a smile but paying that extra €900 for support we never use is not making anyone except Avid happy for sure ...

I work with commercial guys often around the world who has 20-30+ licenses and I can’t imagine what those guys shell out every year on just keeping current.

Our two Ableton Live10 setups cost nothing until they goto Live11 for example and yet we get many updates and addons every year. Paid like €149 to get from Live9 suite to Live10 and the upgrade had many new cool features and VI / Plugins which is worth a LOT more than the €149 we paid for each updqte.

I think Avid should really look into this and make these plans easier to accept by splitting up support and updates for starters which would go a long way with the userbase. I believe this forum take care of the majority of support questions and problems which in turn makes the cost to the user having HD software even harder to swallow.

The non HD α $99 yearly is a really good deal IMHO of course but the 4 times higher HD price plan which doesn’t include 4 times the feature additions or innovations over the non HD is too much for someone who never use the support and come here instead so ... Sorry for the long post but I needed to get this out

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 12-14-2018, 12:34 PM

Vote with your wallet, don't upgrade your HD plan...Avid will listen :)
Old 12-14-2018, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
Cutting through the weeds: when I look at the $2,000/year my company pays for the subscription, and assess that against the features and bug fixes we've received over the past few years, I honestly can't find value in this business model of Avid's.

It's well-known that 2018.10 was LESS stable than 2018.7, so that most people didn't update. It's well-known that very few NEW features have been introduced over the past couple of years. It's well-known, at least amongst our company, that ProTools is no more stable today than it was years ago, and in some cases less so.

So, back to the weeds, why are we spending all this money? Bug fixes? No, these are bugs Avid is responsible for in the first place. Features? No, there have been practically none of much use.

Looking at our situations with PT 3 years ago, compared to today, we essentially have exactly the same rigs, but our bank account is thousands of dollars smaller.

How some people can promote this is truly bewildering to me.

For sure. But we are prisoners. Notably our habits, our workflow, our equipment, etc. One solution is to make a closed system. For example, find a point in time: say today. From there, no direct Internet on the system (you have to go through an intermediary network to transfer files). No update of the OS. No update of plug-ins. No update of Pro Tools. Every morning, the system is there, unchanged, stable, no unknown bug, ready to work. I'm sure it can be 3 to 5 years of production. We already have everything we need. But we are caught in the whirlwind. And this whirlwind is an illusion. If I had several studios, I would try this with one. Then I would calculate my costs in comparison. And I would measure the difference in stress.

The other solutions are Samplitude / Sequoia, Studio One, Cubase / Nuendo. I am unable to make the real jump, but hey, it's possible. But here too, there is a cost.
  • Mac Studio M2 Ultra 2023. 2T. 128 Go. + 2X 4 T NVMe ext.
  • AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core Processor 3.40 GHz 64 Go, full SSD

• Roland V-Piano, Novation 88
  • Etc.
  • www.claudemarcbourget.com
Old 12-14-2018, 01:18 PM

FYI we just ordered two new MacPros which shipped with Mojave and it was a simple thing to download and install High Sierra.
Old 12-14-2018, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
And disabling HT makes everything very swift and alot smoother than Sierra. Yes we skipped High Sierra as people had too much reports than just Sierra.
^^ this.
Old 12-14-2018, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbourget View Post
No new features? No development? Avid's new pricing structure is based on that. Not on the bug fix. There is so much to add .... but what does Avid do?

I’m with your man! This is sad! A whole year has pasted and this is how they end the year? My expectations where at least they will have something big for December. NOT! Somethings really wrong with this picture. What’s going on Avid?
Old 12-14-2018, 02:17 PM

I haven't tried turning off HT. I assume this is global for the entire machine, so HT will effectively be off for every app that's running?

Is it a command line function, or app?

Is there any downside to using ProTools (and the associated plugs and VIs) with HT off? My home rig is a 6-core trashcan so I'm not sure if this would be an overall improvement. I'm intrigued though.
Old 12-14-2018, 02:20 PM

That's the beauty of Avid policy, you pay first for features then you pay again to have them working properly...
And sometimes things that used to work fine get broken. But fortunately you can also pay to have them fixed!
Old 12-14-2018, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
I haven't tried turning off HT. I assume this is global for the entire machine, so HT will effectively be off for every app that's running?

Is it a command line function, or app?

Is there any downside to using ProTools (and the associated plugs and VIs) with HT off? My home rig is a 6-core trashcan so I'm not sure if this would be an overall improvement. I'm intrigued though.
https://www.whatroute.net/cpusetter.html

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.