Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9

Old 11-23-2010, 04:31 AM

Default No Track Freeze or Bounce Individual Tracks

Is this true? How hard must it be for Avid to implement something so simple and useful.

Logic has had these features for a longgggg time.

Was considering upgrading to PT9 but will stay with Logic if these features aren't available
Old 11-23-2010, 04:47 AM

Default Re: No Track Freeze or Bounce Individual Tracks

I hear Pro Tools 10 will be shipping with silver spoons.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 11-23-2010, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by playthemdrums View Post
Is this true? How hard must it be for Avid to implement something so simple and useful.

Logic has had these features for a longgggg time.

Was considering upgrading to PT9 but will stay with Logic if these features aren't available
If you need these features you'll need to stay with Logic. I don't think they will show up in PT. A fast machine will help remedy the need as well.

Carl
PT 2021.10 HDX 16x24 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.13.6 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:05 AM

I was thinking about this the other day. I hadn't been using Pro Tools for a while, and in a lot of ways, I actually missed the realtime bounces.

The idea is it always keeps you in the music. No matter what you're doing in Pro Tools, you're listening to the music, even when you're bouncing down.

I like that I can hear if I missed something and stop the bounce if need be. It happens to me all the time.

If Pro Tools ever implements offline bouncing, I HOPE they leave the realtime bounce in place. Because I like it.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:11 AM

I usually use the BTD time to listen from the next room. Its surprising how often the different perspective will show something that needs an adjustment

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-23-2010, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
I usually use the BTD time to listen from the next room. Its surprising how often the different perspective will show something that needs an adjustment
I often do that as well! When realtime bouncing is the norm for you, you learn to make use of it. I've never just sat there during a bounce and been like "finish already, finish!!!"
Old 11-23-2010, 02:25 PM

I think you're missing the point a little bit.

With the freeze tracks, if Avid want their product to be as versatile as possible, you would expect some kind of freeze track option. Many people want to use pro tools on the go, and on a smaller system, and you simply cannot get enough ram/large enough CPU to deal with a full production. Hence freeze tracks is a must.

Secondly, I understand what your saying about real time bounce, that wasn't what I was asking for, I meant the ability to individually bounce each track with the VI's, Logic has a feature where you can bounce all your tracks individually into a folder. I do alot of project sharing via the internet with other producers and this would save me alot of time. When i'm running a lot of tracks and need stems bussing and printing is so inefficient.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:09 PM

"No Track Freeze or Bounce Individual Tracks"

Hummm...I thought Protools have similar features.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:38 PM

True. Pro Tools doesn't currently have FTRT bouncing or the ability to freeze a track FTRT.

However, you can always print multiple instrument tracks to multiple audio tracks in real time. You can set-up your session so that you route all of your instruments through an audio track. Then when you are ready to print all tracks, you can simply hit record and it will record all of your instruments to individual audio tracks. This seems very limiting at first, but it is actually faster than the Logic route to make changes.

Let's say that you have already printed them all in your session once. Later you decide to make a tweak on the drums in a short segment. You can simply just punch in the spot that you made the tweak, adjust fades, consolidate and your track is ready to export. It takes under 10 seconds where refreezing a track in Logic for changes can take longer than that depending how much is on that track.

I should make a video on this some time. If enough people are interested, I'll make one on You Tube.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 03-28-2011, 12:40 PM

I should also clarify that I am not against Pro Tools getting these features as well as FTRT bouncing. There are definite applications where it would be useful. For example, books on CD's can be a huge pain to have to play the whole book through to mix in the music tracks effects and etc. I would much rather use FTRT bouncing in those scenarios.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio