Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 11-09-2012, 05:40 AM

Exclamation Could not allocate memory for the disk cache. Try lowering your disk buffer..

hi guys! I've never used Pro Tools before, now I've just got it and I cant launch it because of this error:

I'm running Pro tools HD 10.3.0 on windows 8 Pro 64x, during the installation I chose HDX (to be honest i don't even know what it is lol), and the interface that i'm using is ASIO4ALL

I tried to:
uninstall it and re-install it, but It won't work
I tried to install it launching the setup as administrator, but it won't work
I tried to delete the preferences, but it won't work
I tried to clean the log using CCleaner and then install it again aaaand.. it won't work!

how can I fix this problem??
the error says: "try lowering your disk buffer (DAE), disk cache size, or engine voice count" ook but.. how?
Does anybody know how i can resolve this error?
thanks in advance
Old 11-09-2012, 06:53 AM

Default Re: Could not allocate memory for the disk cache. Try lowering your disk buffer..

HDX is, besides Pro Tools HD software in all its glory, also a PCIe card, IOW, a DSP-accelerated system. It does not sound like that's what you have.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:54 AM

Default Re: Could not allocate memory for the disk cache. Try lowering your disk buffer..

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT Lover View Post
HDX is, besides Pro Tools HD software in all its glory, also a PCIe card, IOW, a DSP-accelerated system. It does not sound like that's what you have.
so for using it I need all the things you've listed?
Old 11-09-2012, 09:59 AM

My apologies. I just installed Pro Tools 10.3.2 on my mobile rig, and I discovered that you indeed chose the right installer. The other option is for older TDM systems.

I have no experience with Pro Tools on Windows, so hopefully someone else will chime in to help.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:12 PM

I fixed it! I had to re-install the drivers, now it works =) thank you guys
Old 11-29-2012, 06:33 AM

Cool Re: Could not allocate memory for the disk cache. Try lowering your disk buffer..

What drivers did you have to reinstall ?
Windows or Pro Tools ?
Im completely new to this software.

Thanks..
Old 07-27-2013, 04:40 PM

im having the same problem what drivers you installed??????
Old 07-28-2013, 05:00 AM

i fixed it and here is how...
Here's how to fix it...

If on startup Pro Tools throws up an error message saying

"Could not allocate memory for the disk cache. Try lowering your disk buffer ( DAE Buffer), disk cache size, or engine voice count. If you got this error on launch, delete your prefs and try again. (-9514)."

Then it's very likely that a cleaning program has deleted some files and or registry entries vital to Pro Tools running. In the case of the above error message it's the
"AVID HD Driver"

You can fix this problem by going to "Program And Features" in Win Vista, Win 7 and Win 8 or
"Add or Remove Programs" in XP
Then uninstall "Avid HD Driver (x86)"or "Avid HD Driver (x64)" depending on your Windows Platform.
Reboot.

Now on your Pro Tools installation DVD browse to,

"Pro Tools Installer\ISSetupPrerequisites\Avid HD Driver x64\Avid HD Driver10_x64.exe"

OR

"Pro Tools Installer\ISSetupPrerequisites\Avid HD Driver x86\Avid HD Driver10_x86.exe"

And install it.

Reboot.

Fire Up Pro Tools and your away again.

To avoid this happening again make sure that when using cleaning programs you check EVERY file being deleted and add any references to AVID or Pro Tools to the softwares Detection Exclusion settings. These settings vary from program to program but it's common for most cleaning programs to be able to right click a detected file and "Exclude from future Detection"
Old 10-19-2013, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by devontelowe View Post
i fixed it and here is how...
Here's how to fix it...

If on startup Pro Tools throws up an error message saying

"Could not allocate memory for the disk cache. Try lowering your disk buffer ( DAE Buffer), disk cache size, or engine voice count. If you got this error on launch, delete your prefs and try again. (-9514)."

Then it's very likely that a cleaning program has deleted some files and or registry entries vital to Pro Tools running. In the case of the above error message it's the
"AVID HD Driver"

You can fix this problem by going to "Program And Features" in Win Vista, Win 7 and Win 8 or
"Add or Remove Programs" in XP
Then uninstall "Avid HD Driver (x86)"or "Avid HD Driver (x64)" depending on your Windows Platform.
Reboot.

Now on your Pro Tools installation DVD browse to,

"Pro Tools Installer\ISSetupPrerequisites\Avid HD Driver x64\Avid HD Driver10_x64.exe"

OR

"Pro Tools Installer\ISSetupPrerequisites\Avid HD Driver x86\Avid HD Driver10_x86.exe"

And install it.

Reboot.

Fire Up Pro Tools and your away again.

To avoid this happening again make sure that when using cleaning programs you check EVERY file being deleted and add any references to AVID or Pro Tools to the softwares Detection Exclusion settings. These settings vary from program to program but it's common for most cleaning programs to be able to right click a detected file and "Exclude from future Detection"
You just saved my day ! Thanks devontelowe !
I was getting grey hair when trying to update from 10.3.6 HD to 10.3.7 HD after a clean uninstall.
This should be a sticky.
Win7 64bit Professional , i7 3930 Hexcore , 48GB Ram , SSD System + SSD PT Session/Audio + SSD Video (all Samsung 840 Evo) + Spinner 1TB Data , 2x Radeon HD 5450 \\ SD 633 Femto MKH8060 MKH8070 MKH30/MKH40 DPA4060
Old 09-11-2014, 09:36 AM

bonjour,
malgré la réponse donnée preécédement, je n'arrive pas à ouvrir pro tools 10 avec une carte son fast track solo de avid.
le message d'erreur me demande de réduire la mémoire tampon du disque, la taille du cache disque ou le nombre de voix du moteur (-9514).
mon pc est le suivant:
intel pentium CPU 3550 m 2.3 ghz, RAM 4g, 64 bit avec windows 7,

J'aimerai une réponse svp d'un membre et d'un modérateur suivant le modèle de mon pc

merci d'avance