Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 02-21-2009, 07:21 AM

Default Easy / "correct" way to cleanup a session

Hi everybody,

very basic question:
What is the easiest and low-risk way to cleanup a session?

I mean, if I recorded / cut / mixed everything and want to transfer the session to a new medium without (!) all the regions / files that I don't use anymore, how do I do that easily and painlessly?

I used to "select unused regions" but then I cannot get rid of the extra audio that is not contained in the session.

Hope you know what I mean.
Old 02-21-2009, 07:31 AM

Smile Re: Easy / "correct" way to cleanup a session

I would "save copy in" first - and check "all audio files" - after this all your session should be consolidated.

Next ctrl + shift + U - this will select all unused files.

Next ctrl + Shift + B - this will bring up a dialogue box asking if you want to "remove" or just "delete" the files.

At this point if you are 100% sure you dont need the files hit "delete" - if you are not too sure just "remove" them.

A lot of file space can be saved this way, it's good practice.

If you have used any audio suite plugs - make a new playlist and bring the original recorded files into a new playlist called something like vox 1st take and so on.

This way you can always go back to the waythe song was unmixed.

Regards, Baris.

Last edited by barismanco123; 02-21-2009 at 07:31 AM. Reason: spell mistake
Old 02-21-2009, 08:41 AM

Default Re: Easy / "correct" way to cleanup a session

Does "save copy as" really consolidate the audio files?
Old 02-21-2009, 08:59 AM

very first - backup the whole file and everything you are going to delete!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

first - consolidate all of the regions you are going keep into whole files - highlight them and use alt/shift/3 this will create whole files out of your comp'ed together.
next - delete all unused playlists
next - select unused files files: control/shift/U
then delete all selected files:control/shift/B

you have now deleted all of the files that are not visible on your edit window and made it easier for the processor to find the files - it is not looking for all of the different pieces you comped together of the fades.

only after you have checked to make sure you have not deleted anything you will need is it ok to delete the backup.
Always backup your work. I even take breaks during sessions for sanity and also backup the data while the clients and I are chillin'

hope this helps, it works for me, Scott

334 D-verbs on an Intel Q9650, Asus P5Q Deluxe, 4 gigs Corsair Dominator 1066 RAM, 2 - Asus 256MB fanless video cards, 3 - W.D. 320 gig SATA drives, 1 - 250 gig removable backup drive, I-Star 400-6Q case, Sony Lightscribe DVD, Noctua fans, Corsair HX 620 power supply, ADS Pyro Firewire, Scythe Ninja Heatsink, Kensington Expert Mouse.
Old 02-21-2009, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJCP View Post
Does "save copy as" really consolidate the audio files?
No it does not. Thats not what he meant.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.6 HDX
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 02-21-2009, 02:59 PM

Smile Re: Easy / "correct" way to cleanup a session

It doesnt consolidate, like Alt + Shift + 3 does,read the Reference Guide if that stumbles you, but it will make sure all files are in the same folder after you have done it, despite where they were before, possibly if you had Round Robin Allocation on or what not, again if Round Robin makes no sense, read the manual.
One quick pointer, PT does not support RAID - google that if it is not a familiar term, or better still, pop down to your local computer store, get a direct spanlation.

Trust me, read the manual, over 1000 pages, do it. - read the DUC and ask questions, most of us on here take pleasure on helping out.

Any questions, keep on posting and I'll check back tommorow.

Just try what was written and it should work, in conjunction with a flicker through the manual,
Old 02-22-2009, 02:23 AM

As always in this forum: Excellent answers! I used the steps described above and it works perfectly.
@barismanco: round robin and raid does mean something to me, but I don't use it
And I've even read (at least parts) of the PT manual, and it does describe each function very well, but it lacks information on typical / best practise workflows, if you know what I mean.