Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Mac)

Old 08-19-2017, 08:52 AM

Default 002R finally dead?

1. My trusty old 002R doesn't click when switching on anymore.
  2. And the 1394 light doesn't light (the Link light beside the FW400 connector on the rear lights briefly if I replug the cable but then goes out).
  3. I can't unmute the speakers and other buttons are irresponsive.
  4. Doesn't show up in software.
  5. Tried it with two different cables and on two different Macs.

Is it finally dead? Is this the power harness issue?

I've knocked out a LOT of recordings on this thing over the years. What can I replace it with? Needs S/PDIF or AES for my 1073DPD and ADAT for my ASP008. Needs to hook up to modern MacBook with Thunderbolt and an older tower Mac with USB 2.0 and FW800.

Any ideas on repair or replace? Thanks DUC, it's been a while since I've been here so a bit of a nostalgia trip being back!

N
Old 08-26-2017, 08:00 AM

Default Re: 002R finally dead?

Same here, but mine died about two weeks prior. Actually, my buttons still functioned, and I was able to monitor audio from the Aux In with the ALT SRC TO MON button pushed. But no firewire response. So it was probably just the 1394 circuit board. I replaced my harness soon after buying the unit new in 2005. If you never replaced yours, that might be all it is. It's possible you could find a replacement harness somewhere and get it running again for a little while, who knows how long? But.

I bought a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 used on ebay for $239 including shipping. I absolutely love it. Pro Tools works better than it ever did with the 002R. It launches faster, crashes less often, and I can run large sessions at HWB 32 that the 002R required 256 for. This is on Windows 7, but I expect it would be about the same on Mac.

Also, because of the MixControl software the Saffire uses, I can now monitor my computer's soundcard at the same time as PT. I can run notation software at the same time as PT without running into conflicts. I can even have the notation software using the Saffire's MIDI I/O while PT is using it for audio. This was always a pain with the 002R. I would have to quit PT before launching any notation software or PT would either lose track of the USB MIDI keyboard or the 002R itself. And, yes, I'm aware of how to set preferences in both pieces of software to avoid that. But the 002R drivers were really just poorly written.

Now if you're a purist, the Saffire's mic pres may not make you completely happy. They're serviceable, and probably about as good as those on the 002R, and a little quieter, but they're not stellar. I mean, 8 pres for less than $300, what do you expect, right? If you have good external pres, then it's not a problem, anyway.

I'm completely delighted with the unit. I probably should have gotten the Pro 24 instead of the 40 because I never need that many inputs at home anymore. If you can live with 2 mic and 2 line in, that's what I'd recommend, unless you can spring for one of the RME units at $1500+.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB

Last edited by daeron80; 08-30-2017 at 07:06 AM.
Old 08-30-2017, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil_mcdermott View Post
[LIST=1]

Any ideas on repair or replace?

N
I personally think you better let it go. Those have been useful units back in the days (I had one too as well as the 003 later)
but were not made to correspond successfully with all the latest versions of softwares and hardwares in 2017+ actually.
You probably save yourself troubles in the future if you look for a replacement for your old buddy.

There are a lot of current audio interfaces out there. Regarding to your needs I have found you one which offers Thunderbolt
as well as USB 2 connections. So you could get the best out of both of your systems.
It also offers S/PDIF and ADAT as well as Word Clock. To be honest I have not used this interface myself yet but I have heard
good things about it. Motu basically is a trusty brand making professional gear which do work well with Pro Tools.

http://motu.com/products/motuaudio/828x/body.html

Available from a UK/Liverpool based pro audio store for example.
http://www.studiocare.com/motu-828x-...interface.html

It is still under 1k which is great for what this unit is offering indeed. Just as an idea.

Hope you can get the right replacement for your 002 and you will be happy with the new guy finally.

All the best to you. Cheers.
Old 08-30-2017, 01:38 PM

Well, my 2 cents....pop the top(rack model) or the bottom(mixer version) and reseat all the power harness connections at least 6 times on each. If that doesn't help, then dump it. BTW, if you "hot-patch" the firewire(pull or connect with everything powered on), you may well have fried the FW chip in the 002. Cost of any repair is likely more than its worth and most anything new will sound better anyway

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave