Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 11-22-2012, 08:06 AM

Default Anybody successfully running a HDX2 on a Mac Pro 8-core Early 2008 Harpertown?

I'm battling between upgrading my HD3 to a HD6 or upgrading to a HDX2.

Since I have a Mac Pro 8-core Early 2008 Harpertown, and looking at the possibility of upgrading to a HDX2, I didn't want to upgrade at this point to a new Mac Pro since it seems that next year new ones will be released, and it's expected to have big changes.

So, I'm searching for some comfort of anybody that is using a HDX2 on a Harpertown

If someone is using a HDX2 on a Harpertown or even earlier model please let me know how successfully you are using it.

Thanks
Old 11-22-2012, 08:26 AM

Default Re: Anybody successfully running a HDX2 on a Mac Pro 8-core Early 2008 Harpertown?

You are going to spend an extra $6000 for the second card for a system that it not supported ????
HDX1 is about the same as HD6, more if you consider that you'll be using more native plugins waiting for more TDM to be ported to AAX, that where you'll need a faster machine.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:38 AM

You can't use HDX on a non supported Mac Pro.

Firmware / buss architecture issues.

And

It is possible (likely ?) that a 2013 pro machine will NOT have PCI slots. Just FYI.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:21 AM

Default Re: Anybody successfully running a HDX2 on a Mac Pro 8-core Early 2008 Harpertown?

There are plenty of people use HDX cards in unsupported macs. Even Avid employees, unofficially of course.

Remember, unsupported just means untested.

There was supposedly an issue doing firmware upgrades with certain Macs but I think I've seen where people were not having any issues.

Tim Cook (Apple CEO) did say publicly that there will be an updated MacPro in 2013. Sure, it might not have PCI slots but I think it will or you could always use a chassis.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 11-22-2012, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by francois View Post
You are going to spend an extra $6000 for the second card for a system that it not supported ????
HDX1 is about the same as HD6, more if you consider that you'll be using more native plugins waiting for more TDM to be ported to AAX, that where you'll need a faster machine.
The problem is that I need/want more than 64 I/O so that I can insert my hardware and use my summing mixers, so 1 HDX card isn't enough.
Although I'm convinced that 1 HDX card is enough for me in terms of DSP power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixerGuy View Post
You can't use HDX on a non supported Mac Pro.

Firmware / buss architecture issues.

And

It is possible (likely ?) that a 2013 pro machine will NOT have PCI slots. Just FYI.
I already heard that rumor that new 2013 Mac Pros will probably not have PCI slots. That would be quite disappointing, if I was sure that that was what was going to happen it would make my choice at the moment a lot easier :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmazurek View Post
There are plenty of people use HDX cards in unsupported macs. Even Avid employees, unofficially of course.

Remember, unsupported just means untested.

There was supposedly an issue doing firmware upgrades with certain Macs but I think I've seen where people were not having any issues.

Tim Cook (Apple CEO) did say publicly that there will be an updated MacPro in 2013. Sure, it might not have PCI slots but I think it will or you could always use a chassis.
I know what incompatible/unsupported means to AVID :)
I remember when I had to buy a special SCSI 7200RPM drive to use on Session 8 that only had 8 tracks because of Digidesign compatibility guarantee

But since I already saw some posts of people that had some minor problems with unsupported Mac Pros, I was just trying to get a good sense of what I could expect from using HDX cards on an unsupported machine.

BTW, Is there any chassis compatible with HDX at the moment?
Old 11-22-2012, 10:06 PM

Tim cook only said "something nice for the pros"

He did NOT mention 2013 Mac Pros.

BIG DIFFERENCE !!!!!
Old 11-22-2012, 10:38 PM

Wow how about a bone here COOK

at least 1 pcie card slot
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 11-23-2012, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixerGuy View Post
Tim cook only said "something nice for the pros"

He did NOT mention 2013 Mac Pros.

BIG DIFFERENCE !!!!!

A little article for you to read, do read the updated part at the end.

http://macpro.macrumors.com/

Quote:
Update: Apple PR has reached out and clarified that only the Mac Pro is expected to be next updated in 2013. The company had no comment about the iMac, which perhaps means that the iMac could see updates earlier than next year. It has been 406 days since the iMac last received an update, significantly longer than the traditional iMac update interval.

Wave-T.com