Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 10-12-2017, 01:48 PM

Default Using spdif from a 96 i/o as default playback?

Hi,
My hardware is as follows... Lynx Aurora 16, digi 96 i/o with 2 accel cards with a MAc 8 core, protools hd 8, KRK Ergo monitor controller ..

I just started using the spdif from my 96 i/o as the default play back. In pro tools I've set c 9-10 as the spdif outs and it is wired to the spdif in on the Ergo. WOrks great and frees up 2 outputs for mixdown.

Some times I like to blast music from my control room while I set up or tear down the recording floor. As well as reference commercial recordings. FOr this I use a different log in on my Mac.
My question is what are the settings in the digi core manager to enable spdif from the 96 i/o as the default output when not using PRo tools software.
Also when the spdif out of the 96 i/o is connected to the Ergo, analog outs 1 and 2 of the Aurora are disengaged rather than being default to the Ergo.
My work around is simply unplug the spdif of the Ergo, then analog outs 1 and 2 work again, but I"d rahter not have to do that every time as it's awkward.
Any one? Many thanks
Old 10-14-2017, 09:44 AM

Default Re: Using spdif from a 96 i/o as default playback?

would a screen shot be useful?
thanks
Old 10-14-2017, 10:33 AM

Default Using spdif from a 96 i/o as default playback?

The old TDM CoreAudio driver only supports 8 outputs and inputs. (So 9&10 won’t work to start with). When you look at Audio/Midi setup you should only see 8 outputs. You need to make sure the IO you are trying to use is within the 8 physical IO configured on the primary device. (Don’t think it can span across devices). There is a CoreAudio driver documentation, are you reading that?

Newer HD Native and HDX CoreAudio does not have this TDM CoreAudio 8 IO limit and that causes lots of confusion in discussions on DUC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-14-2017, 11:15 AM

great thanks.

To clarify, the digi core driver is for use with the hardware and not the Protools software?
I read the info on the COre Driver
Is there a way to enable analog out 1 and 2 of my Aurora while spdif is connected to the Ergo for playback not in the Protools software?

when spdif is connected to the Ergo the analog outs 1 and 2 of the Aurora has no signal output
Old 10-14-2017, 11:18 AM

can I assign the spdif to one of the 8 outs rather than the analog from the Aurora? Ie change outs 1 and 2 to spdif?
Old 10-14-2017, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pie55 View Post
great thanks.

To clarify, the digi core driver is for use with the hardware and not the Protools software?
I read the info on the COre Driver
Is there a way to enable analog out 1 and 2 of my Aurora while spdif is connected to the Ergo for playback not in the Protools software?

when spdif is connected to the Ergo the analog outs 1 and 2 of the Aurora has no signal output
The CoreAudio driver provides OS X CoreAudio access to the Digilink interfaces so non-Pro Tools software can use them. Pro Tools HD itself does not use OS X CoreAudio to talk to the interfaces. The CoreAudio driver has a whole user guide dedicated to it, and it clearly explains this. So what are you reading?

I'm lost now as to what you are trying to solve or exactly what is connected to what. Have you actually got S/PDIF coming out out the 96IO OK via CoreAudio? Does the Ergo have a way of showing S/PDIF signal input/lock? Check with another outboard DAC, headphone amp etc.

Ergo, Aurora... we can't guess what exactly you have connected up to what and why. If you have a stereo output coming out the 96IO S/PDIF and into the Ergo and that works under Pro Tools then that should work... under CoreAudio, as long a you actually have S/PDIF coming out the 96I/O. How/why is the Aurora in this picture at all? If you have S/PDIF output to play back why do you also want analog out from the Aurora? And exactly how is that Aurora connected to the computer. If via DigiLink then, uh I've already explained the TDM CoreAudio IO limits.
Old 10-14-2017, 11:39 AM

And to be clear, for "default" playback you may need to arrange thast S/PDIF output in the core audio driver to be output 1&2.
Old 10-14-2017, 12:33 PM

Quote:
I'm lost now as to what you are trying to solve or exactly what is connected to what. Have you actually got S/PDIF coming out out the 96IO OK via CoreAudio? Does the Ergo have a way of showing S/PDIF signal input/lock? Check with another outboard DAC, headphone amp etc.
I realized I way over complicated what I'm trying to remedy. I'm trying to use the 96 i/o to send spdif to my Ergo using the Coreaudio.
or i can use analog out 1 and 2 of the aurora, but when spdif is plugged in to the Ergo the analog ins are bypassed. I wrote KRK about switching between spdif and analog ins with out unplugging the spdif

Sorry for the confusion and thanks for the feedback

Last edited by pie55; 10-16-2017 at 09:37 AM.
Old 10-17-2017, 08:02 AM

just heard back form krk. When the spdif is connected to the Ergo, the analog ins are bypassed. the only workaround is to disconnect the spdif.

Is it possible to use spdif out from the 96 i/0 while using the COre Audio?
thanks
Old 10-21-2017, 07:39 AM

can any one chime in about using spdif from the 96 i/o with the core audio? Is it possible?

thanks